Needs some Dalian help!

Hi All! :D

I'm moving to Dalian in 6 months with my boyfriend (who's Chinese). I've never lived in a foreign country before and i'm extremely nervous!

I know very little chinese (only really the compulsory sayings) but i don't think this will be a problem.

All i need really is reasons why it would be a good move!!!
How easy is it to find work for english speakers?
Are there many english speakers in Dalain?
What is it like living there?
What is there to do?
And most importantly, do the chinese poeple like english people? I only ask this as i recently spent 2 weeks in France and got the feeling i was not welcome :/

Any replies would be much appreciated.
Many thanks Folks!

Rebecca

China seems a great place to find work and see different things. Any more than that is up to you to create. JW

I am local in Dalian and I have amny friends from UK. people here are very friendly. French hates all english, not only you:D

Hehe I like the French.

Chinese people are very friendly to English speakers. Relax, you'll have a good experience. There are a lot of other foriegners living here. And you'll find there are a lot of english speaking chinese. As far as work, I'm not sure, but I think you'll be able to find something, even if just tutoring english on the side. And it cheap, so your money will go a long way.

Thanks Istone........i really needed to hear that :P

Hhahaha Hong Fu, i'm glad its all english and not just me that the french hate! [/i][/i][/i]

To be honest, I find a lot of people are hesitant until they discover I'm not russian, then they are very happy and friendly. It seems like it's only Russians who there is a general dislike of here (bad reputation for bar fights and such).

I think it would be best to find work before you come (easy if you have a college degree or TESOL certificate).

There is a good bi-monthly expat magazine & several weekly meetups at various restaurants through town for english speakers. I don't find living here to be much different than living in the states, outside of the language barrier. And as for things to do, we have just been exploring so far (we've only been here a week.) It's a nice city, though. :)

don't worry dear, there are people here speak english..

I don't know if u can find a job easily as a english speaker,but i am pretty sure that u will be welcome cuz Dalianese r very friendly,especially to foreigner.