University of Malta

Hi,
I'm new to this and I'm not really sure whether this is an appropriate forum to ask on, but I'll give it a go. I've just finished my alevels and am currently taking a gap year with a mind to study in Malta. There are a number of reasons why but since the increase in British fees I'm more sure than ever that this would be the best opportunity for me. I'm also taking a TEFL course this year in the hope of getting a job whilst out there, and I wondered how likely I would be to get a job teaching English. I looking for about 20 hours per week- if this will give me enough to live on- maybe more in the summer when things get busy. Also, roughly what wages are, also I'm planning on moving into private accomodation in Msida so wondered if I would be able to get more money as often they provide accomodation. I hope that doesn't sound too rude.
I am actually from Malta, born there and I have citizenship so I don't know if this would make anything easier, but I wonder what everyday life is like and the university itself mainly what are the differences between British unis and Malta; academically, socially and what is expected? I do achieve high grades academically so I'm prepared to put in the work, but I wonder whether in the future if I choose to move back to Britain if a qualification from Malta will be accepted. Also,
Lastly, when I move over I'd like to buy a moped to get me around, is this a good idea or would a decent secondhand moped cost too much?
If anyone can answer these questions that would be lovely, I've looked through some other posts but haven't found quite what I'm looking for.
Thank you

Hi Booklover19,

welcome to the forum.

I can't really comment on the University issues and how a Maltese degree will affect your career.

I'm not quite sure what you mean with the providing accomodation? I've never heard of that. A shared room can start from around 200 €/month and a small appartment quite a bit more.

TEFL teachers earn around 10 €/hour but there are some deductions. 20 hours a week is actually considered nearly full-time as preparation time is not paid for and there is quite a bit of preparation work. Native English speakers (UK,American) have good employment chances during the summer season. In winter it can get very quiet and the language industry in Malta is suffering from the economic downturn.

Cheers
Ricky

Hi Booklover,

Just to clarify a few things. As an EFL teacher in Malta you would have to have an A-level in English grade C or above and a recognised TEFL qualification. Online TEFL qualifications don't count. When you arrive in Malta you would have to register with the TEFL monitoring board and get a permit. As you would have the minimum requirements you may also have to sit the Maltese TEFL exam (which is sat twice a year only the next one being in November).

As Ricky says the industry has been hit hard by the economic downturn and numbers are way down.
As a newbie without a CELTA you would expect to earn around €5 an hour.

The University here depends largely on what department/faculty/field you want to go into. Stipends, grants and fees you would have to look into yourself as you may find that due to your citizenship you have access to other grants. Be aware that as a Maltese national you may have to have the Maltese language O level.

The main difference from studying in the UK is that most students live at home and the 'University Experience' not the same as you would get in the UK. There is a large contingent of overseas students including many Brits.

As to the moped? You seen the driving here? :/

Hope that helps,

Mel

Oh, and University of Malta degrees are recognised globally.

Ok, I do have an English language a level at grade A. I wasn't planning to take online so that's ok, and if CELTA is best that is what I'll choose. I didn't realise starting wages are so low, from what I've seen advertised it seems wages depend on where you teach. Or so I thought. I have been working and saving, and th money would be more to supplement what I already have mainly for food, travel etc.
Thanks for the answers and I'll certainly to continue to look into everything.
I am well aware that to the Maltese traffic lights are rather more suggestions, and it's nothing like driving in Britain, a relative told me everything is done by eye contact and don't bother with an indicator. It's kind of the reason I want to live in Msida close to the uni, so my main forays into the outside areas would be by bus, I suppose it will depend on how confident when I feel on arrival.
I will be going to malta early next year to visit the uni and make further enquiries.
Thanks for your help, it looks like I've got a lot more investigating to do.

Hi Booklover,

Yep wages do depend on where you teach and also how many hours. With the current downturn most hours are over the summer and then you have competition from all the other uni students who supplement their stipend with teaching!

You'll need a degree to get a CELTA by the way but many other TEFL courses, eg the Tinity TEFL are just as good.

Good luck!

Mel

Thanks mambawamba,
I didn't realise it was quite that competetive, but I hoped that as a native English speaker I would have an edge but I guess not.
My main questions now are about cost of living. I've seen some cheap apartments online at about €250 p/m and I've heard if you sign a longer lease you can negotiate... But I'm curious about how much people reckon bills will cost and in a year how much could I live off? I mean pretty cheaply living, what's the bare minimum? Are bills much more or less than in the uk? If I only worked part time would it be enough to pay the bills? I know that's tough to answer but for a single person any ideas, or places I could find out?

Thanks to anyone who can try answering.

Hi Booklover19,

Just a few comments on the university:

The university is high quality and very rigorous, from what I see. It has a long history, and strong ties with the UK HE sector. It operates under the EQF framework, like any other EU university. It also appears to have a thriving research scene, with lots of funding in many faculties and disciplines. I would absolutely encourage you to pursue the idea of studying here.

As you say, fees in the UK are now so high they actually prevent people from studying. I'm currently a f/t doctoral student here and a previous academic (senior lecturer) from London Met (London, UK). One of the reasons for taking up PhD here was cost. Perhaps if I was younger I would have been prepared for £6k per year for seven years p/t study at my uni (or any other UK uni), but over here I pay €600 per year for f/t. It would have been €1500 for p/t. The difference is enormous. My field is education and technology.

I could go on about other aspects you have asked about but i think others have given plenty of info already!

You have just replied to a post from 2012!

:)