Tourists to Bangkok looking for advice

Hello!!
I am a student living in Vietnam. In the next 2 weeks, I will be in charge of taking 2 beautiful ladies (who speak only Vietnamese and... body language) to Bangkok. In the school year, I have been working hard and my mom has to stay lonely at home. Now that summer is in the air, I, as her only daughter who speak English, have to fulfill the responsibility of a good child to take her on a holiday and make sure that nothing goes wrong.

I am posting this topic to ask for advises on hotel and shopping centers. We love to shop in centers that provide affordable clothing and food (we are not a fan of G-ucci or Channel or anything that luxurious; we just aim at nice goods with reasonable price. I love something vintage, and my mom loves...street style!! Sound weird huh :P) Then, could you please suggest any shopping centers that meet our interest? And btw, is there any suggestion on a hotel that is in the area of those centers so that we can just walk there? It suits me best if that hotel provides a double room with a price of around 25-30 USD (perhaps $31 or $32 or $32.5 could also works :D).

And if you are interested in language and culture exchange, perhaps we can meet up!! I speak quite good English and perfect Vietnamese!! :))

Thanks for helping me out!! :x

Since your are not looking for the high end products I think the area you need to visit for cheap clothing is Pratunam market area.  It also puts you close to Central World if you want to look at higher end shopping complex.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pratunam_Market

The other shopping area if your are here on Saturday and Sunday is Chatuchak Market.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chatuchak_Weekend_Market

I cannot recommend any hotels in you price range but that does not mean they do not exist. I suggest you go to below website and post your same questions but mention you need cheap/safe hotel in Pratunam or Siam Square area.  For a point of reference on any maps you may look at the Amari and Indra hotels are located in the heart of Pratunam.

thaivisa.com/forum/forum/38-bangkok-forum/

Another way to find hotels in any Thailand city is using the following website.  In your case type in Amari Watergate in search box then zoom in and use Landmark box to display all hotels.

http://www.mapguidethailand.com/home/map.php?&l=en

Thanks a lot, Straydog!!
I have searched on agoda.com, and found quite a lot of hotels. Those that are near Pratunam are quite expensive, but those near MBK are reasonable!!
Thanks again, Straydog!! ^^

Unei_Nguyen it is only my opinion but MBK is one of those places that attracts tourist and they rave about but Pratunam is much better and cheaper when you talk about clothing.  Pratunam has places like Platinum Mall if you like indoor shopping or just wonder the back alleys behind the Amari Watergate Hotel working your way toward the Indra Hotel.

Hope your trip works out and you have wonderful time.

I do love shopping, language, and culture exchange!!!
Let's hangout!!!!

@unei_nguyen

Now that summer is in the air, I, as her only daughter who speak English, have to fulfill the responsibility of a good child to take her on a holiday and make sure that nothing goes wrong.

Now that's such a nice thought for you to treat your mum to a nice holiday. :) - Hope you both have a great holiday... enjoy :)

Jaz :cool:

Straydog wrote:

Unei_Nguyen it is only my opinion but MBK is one of those places that attracts tourist and they rave about but Pratunam is much better and cheaper when you talk about clothing.  Pratunam has places like Platinum Mall if you like indoor shopping or just wonder the back alleys behind the Amari Watergate Hotel working your way toward the Indra Hotel.

Hope your trip works out and you have wonderful time.

Thanks, I will notice this about MBK!! I guess I will visit both MBK and Pratunam!!:x

Bellez wrote:

I do love shopping, language, and culture exchange!!!
Let's hangout!!!!

Sure!! I will contact you when I arrive!! ^^

jazzy851 wrote:

Now that's such a nice thought for you to treat your mum to a nice holiday.  - Hope you both have a great holiday... enjoy 

Jaz

Not really one nice holiday!! We are planning for... A LOT OF nice holidays!! :)) Since the only thing I am good at is fooling around and speaking understandable English, this is the only way I can show my gratitude to the one who gave birth to me and have been suffering the damages I have been causing!! :P Isn't that the least children can to to their parents? ^^

@unei_nguyen

Not really one nice holiday!! We are planning for... A LOT OF nice holidays!! smile) Since the only thing I am good at is fooling around and speaking understandable English, this is the only way I can show my gratitude to the one who gave birth to me and have been suffering the damages I have been causing!! tongue Isn't that the least children can to to their parents?

This is what i have to say to your comment : :one

Way to go unei_nguyen, I completely agree with you. You have the right way of thinking about your mom - Hope what you have written, will inspire others to have the same appreciation towards their parents too.   :thanks:

Enjoy your one of many holidays ;)

J :cool:

I guess most Vietnamese children pay the same respect to their parents!! We have been educated to do so since we were young. Some teenagers are stupid enough to treat their parents badly, but that is mostly because those parents didn't pay enough attention and care to their own children. My parents love me, so I love them back. (hey this doesn't mean if they smack me, I will hit them back!! :P)
Send your children to school in Vietnam, Jazzy!! They will take you to anywhere in the world in any summer time when they grow up!! :cool:

I start feeling excited to see you unei_nguyen!
^+++^

Hello,

I am a Malaysian lady. Married to Thai. We both currently staying in Ho Chi Minh City.  We are moving back to Bangkok in 2 weeks time.

If you would like to get any assistance over your stay in Bangkok, please do contact my vietnam no. 0938 474 032.

See you.

Annie Ketmayoon.