Moving to Netherlands soon!

Hey! I'm a 18 year old girl (turning 19 very soon) who's currently living in London, England and I'm planning on moving to Netherlands some time this year. I'm a little curious about the education system there. I graduated from secondary school in 2010 and I've got my GCSE's. I took some time off due to family issues but I want to continue my education. I recently decided that i want to do this in the Netherlands. But I'm not sure where to go... I'm aware that the education system there is entirely different to England's. For example, You don't finish school until your 18 and then you go of to University whereas in England you finish secondary school at 16, then go to college (2 years) and then comes Uni! Can someone please help me understand the system and where exactly someone of my age (and with my GCSE grades) applies to? college?

Notes : I'm a Dutch Citizen due to the fact that my father is Dutch (But I don't know any Dutch .. Lol)

Please Help!

Hey...i may not be dutch,but I'll try my best to help :). Basically the education system here is a bit funny.From elementary school you go to high school (they call it MBO). But for you to go into university,you need a HAVO (its a like a version of a diploma) and you get this from the colleges,it takes one year to get it.Then you can proceed to university :). Well,currently am doing my HAVO together with my degree...so am going to have four instead of the normal three university years (because the HAVO year is combined with my degree years) Hope this was helpful :D.

So I have to apply for college to get this HAVO thingy and then I'll be allowed to go to Uni? Is that all that's required?

I guess,and i think it also depends of the course you are planning to do.You can check out my university,maybe you'll find something interesting there : http://www.inholland.nl/

PS: you might need to uses google chrome browser to translate the site for you,its in dutch.

nice lecturing. i am moving to Netherlands very soon, i hope i will meet you guys when i comes..

Hi. I too will be coming to the Netherlands soon. I'm excited by the whole experience of moving and studying abroad. About your question about the education system. It's best to contact the university you're applying to and ask them about your studies and if they are enough. Also it depends on your field of study.

thanks

thats cool!

incredi wrote:

Hi. I too will be coming to the Netherlands soon. I'm excited by the whole experience of moving and studying abroad. About your question about the education system. It's best to contact the university you're applying to and ask them about your studies and if they are enough. Also it depends on your field of study.

I think this is the best advice!!!
Somebody said that  you need a Havo diploma to get to the university. That is not correct!!! You need at least one year of HBO or a diploma from the VWO (= Voorbereidend Wetenschappelijk Onderwijs).