Serious Landlord Problems- Help Appreciated!

just remember that a signed contract doesnt really mean a lot to anyone... and even if it came to it - the law would in all likelyhood fall on the side of the landlord.

as many expats have experienced here  - be prepared to not get the deposit back -  even if you fulfill the contract requirements - they do like to keep the money in their pockets.

yeah , have sort of resigned ourselves to losing the deposit anyway , have heard enough tales of landlords making up any old nonsense to get out of giving it back !!! I was just concerned that he would turn around and say he wanted the last 3 months rent that is left on the lease !

i must admit we have left property early (6months early in both cases) twice and lost the deposit (our choice for something better) but was never asked for the balance...

Ok , thanks everyone !
Will just ensure all utilities are paid up before we depart.
Interestingly , when we arrived back in July , we got Melita in to connect Internet , tv , phone etc ! Engineer came , did the business and I signed his little screen to say the job was done ( he also liberated €100 for a " deposit " ) some time later I had to ring them and they politely informed me that we were locked into a 2 year contract !!!! At no point was this mentioned by the engineer and we have never received any contract or other paperwork relating to this !
We were only ever staying for a maximum of 1 year so I would never have contemplated signing a 2 year deal !!!! - got a feeling our relationship with this company might end on not such a positive note !!!!!😄

Moyes14 wrote:

Ok , thanks everyone !
Will just ensure all utilities are paid up before we depart.
Interestingly , when we arrived back in July , we got Melita in to connect Internet , tv , phone etc ! Engineer came , did the business and I signed his little screen to say the job was done ( he also liberated €100 for a " deposit " ) some time later I had to ring them and they politely informed me that we were locked into a 2 year contract !!!! At no point was this mentioned by the engineer and we have never received any contract or other paperwork relating to this !
We were only ever staying for a maximum of 1 year so I would never have contemplated signing a 2 year deal !!!! - got a feeling our relationship with this company might end on not such a positive note !!!!!😄

Just ask them for a copy of the contract you signed.
If they cannot supply one with your signature on it then your fine , although the chances of getting that deposit back are pretty slim.

Terry

signing the little screen is the contract signed - when I changed contract Melita emailed it to me beforehand