Busco un techito

Hola,

I plan to be in Rabat (possibly to move there) in July for a few months.  I wonder if it's possible to rent a decent studio or 1-bedroom apartment in a relatively good neighborhood for around $450 USD?  I live in a small apartment in central Mexico and lived in a studio apartment in Uruguay, so I don't need a lot of space.  I I want to be where there a people around...not in an isolated area. I speak English, Spanish and French, and would also be open to sharing with a non-smoker (I'm allergic).    A Moroccan friend who lives in Tampa tells me that I might like the La Gare Rabat-Ville and Bab Al-Had neighborhoods and a forum member has suggested Hay Riad.

Many thanks in advance for any advice.
Alexa

Hi Alexa,

Your post has been moved to the Rabat English speaking forum for better interaction with the other members.

The Rabat housing section might help you to find an accommodation. Do not hesitate to post an ad ;).

Cheers,
Julie

hello Alexa, i hope that you have a nice time in Mexico, about your question for a right place to live in rabat, as you said there is hay riad but it s very expensive and it is isolated area, maybe your moroccan friend is right that you will like Bab-Alhed and it s in city centre and there is some appartments "Dyour Jamaa" but i did never asking about the prices, i know other small houses in Oudaya near of the beach, 2 bed rooms, Trasse, kitchen, a beautiful view front of Rabat beach, the price about 900$ ...
if you have any questions, i will be glad to enswer you.
Salam
Lotfi

Thank you very, very much for your reply, Lotfi.

Yes, I've lived in central Mexico for a number of years. San Miguel de Allende is a very beautiful colonial city, and the cradle of Mexican independence.  It's very nice here in the mountains.  I prefer a large city, though, and a lot of diversity.  There are hardly any black people here...almost everyone is either European descent or Mexican.  I would like to be where there are many different languages, cultures, ways of dressing, etc....and a more young people.  There are too many retired Americans here (as if I were not a semi-retired American...ha, ha!   One hears English on every corner.

The house near the beach sounds great, but is too much money for me.  Also, I am from Florida and I like the ocean, but don't want to look at water from my apartment.  I want to be able to see(and hear) the people walking around in the streets.  J'aime etre entre les gens.  Je ne voudrais pas du tout etre isolee.  I want to be among the people, and would not want to be isolated.  I will check out Bab Alhen.  My Moroccan friend said that I would like the area near the main train station.  On verra.  Merci encore une fois.

Shucran,
Alexa

Habari wrote:

Thank you very, very much for your reply, Lotfi.

Yes, I've lived in central Mexico for a number of years. San Miguel de Allende is a very beautiful colonial city, and the cradle of Mexican independence.  It's very nice here in the mountains.  I prefer a large city, though, and a lot of diversity.  There are hardly any black people here...almost everyone is either European descent or Mexican.  I would like to be where there are many different languages, cultures, ways of dressing, etc....and a more young people.  There are too many retired Americans here (as if I were not a semi-retired American...ha, ha!   One hears English on every corner.

The house near the beach sounds great, but is too much money for me.  Also, I am from Florida and I like the ocean, but don't want to look at water from my apartment.  I want to be able to see(and hear) the people walking around in the streets.  J'aime etre entre les gens.  Je ne voudrais pas du tout etre isolee.  I want to be among the people, and would not want to be isolated.  I will check out Bab Alhen.  My Moroccan friend said that I would like the area near the main train station.  On verra.  Merci encore une fois.

Shucran,
Alexa

Hello,
did you finally found what you were looking for ?

Hello,

Shucran for your message.

Well, no.  I rented an apartment for a couple of months just to be nearer the center of town.  It's on Mohamed Triki near the Union Sportive, and is quite isolated...not many shops, etc.  And...it's much to expensive for me to keep in long term.

I'm going to travel to Tangier on the 20th and may be moving there.  If I decide to stay in Rabat I want to find something in un quartier populair (in Rabat Ville, for example). 

Best,
Alexa

hey alexa...i guess that you could find out something if you kept on looking. i believe that there are so many places in rabat ville. just dont give up. i wish you all the best

Thanks so much for the encouraging words.

Best,
Alexa

you are welcome