Moving to Stuttgart in August!

I am starting a new job in Stuttgart in mid-August but will be arriving 10 days or so before I have to start working.  Looking to meet some expats who might be willing to show me around and help me acclimate to the city.   See you in three months!

Hello Hawkeye2012!

Welcome to Expat.com!

Maybe an introduction could help? ;)
Hope that other members will be able to help you.

Aurélie

I am 24 years old.  I am graduating from the University of New Hampshire later this month with a Masters in Education.  I will add a picture later today.  I am currently working in a school in New Hampshire for a woman who just went on maternity leave.  I am lifeguarding at the town pool when school gets out, and leaving for Stuttgart in early August.  I will be moving to Stuttgart by myself and speak very little German (but I am working on it).  I am very outgoing and love meeting new people.  I am very excited about moving to Stuttgart!

(I already posted this in the new members forum, but thought I would also post it within the Stuttgart Forum)

My name is Jeff, I was born and raised in Iowa City, Iowa and moved to New Hampshire with my family right before my jr. year of high school.  Although I have lived in New Hampshire the past eight years I still very much consider myself a midwest boy.  I think that living in two different regions of the United States has given me some valuable perspective on the similarities and differences of the different parts of the US.  I have been to 37 of the 50 states, so I have done a lot of traveling within the United States, but have much less experience outside of America.  I have been to Canada, England, and Scotland, but that is the extent of my world travels (although I have been to Hawaii, which is obviously still America, but in many ways is a very different place than the mainland).  The past three summers I have worked for a hot air balloon company in Vermont chasing hot air balloons.  When you fly in a hot air balloon, you don't know where you are going to land, so you need somebody on the ground following you until you are back on the ground.  I help set up the balloon, inflate, chase the balloon, help them land, pack up, and drive back to where we started.  It is an excellent way to consistently meet new people from all over the United States and the world, and it is so much fun I would do it for free (but don't tell that to my boss though). 

I am moving to Stuttgart, Germany in August and am very much looking forward to it.  I have been doing a lot of research about Germany and Stuttgart, and I have read that meeting people and making friends can be difficult.  That is why I have joined this Expat.com 3 months before I even arrive in Stuttgart.  I am a very social person, so I wanted to be proactive, and establishing some sort of social network before I even arrive in Germany.

Looking forward to meeting you!

Hey Jeff! Welcome here ;)

Thanks Insomnie

If i know city better before you come... I will also help you :D

Hi Jeff, if you want a "real German" friend, I'd love to meet up and help out with any language barrier related things or just to BBQ :)
What is it you'll be doing in Germany? Will you work as a teacher? Or chase hot air balloons here? :D

Hey J West, that sounds awesome.  I will certainly need some guidance with my language skills, especially from a "real German" haha.

Good Afternoon Jeff, I have been in the Filderstadt area for 6 months already and love it. And speaking of Hot Air ballons. My boyfriend was working the other night and had a Baloon take off from the Airport at 130am  and when he left at 530am it had reached france but was still on the move. All we could think was that it was such an odd time. BUt hey, to each his own. What are your plans for Stuttgart? How long will you be staying?

Hey AutumnRose,

I will be staying for at least 11 months.  We will see what happens after that.  Looking forward to the move.

Just arrived in Stuttgart yesterday.   If anyone would like to meet up for a beer or coffee or something, or let me know about an event that has already been planned I would greatly appreciate it.  Looking forward to meeting some new people and making some new friends.