Arriving in November

Hi all

My names Nick, im 21 and I'm coming to Luanda in the first week of November from London, working for an NGO.

I'm having slight concerns about the fact that im working as a voulenteer in one of the most expensive places in the world. Am i realy going to struggle to enjoy myself with very little money? Is there a good social scene for expats, or any sports teams i could get involved in?

I would be realy interested in making some contacts before i get out there just to make the transision that little bit easier.

Thanks alot for any help

Nick

Nick,

There's little point in sugar coating the pill, Luanda is known as the most expensive city in the world for ex-pats and there's a very good reason for that!

That said however, it's possible to enjoy yourself and have a social life here without spending the earth. There are some good expat evenings that are pretty cheap and there are a myriad of beaches etc that are free!

Drop me an e-mail through this site if you have any specific questions / fancy a beer when you arrive.

Hey Nick,

I can't give you any advice on the money front I'm afraid, but as a fellow brit in his early 20s who is going out to Angola in a weeks time, I can offer you a contact for when you first arrive. 

Drop me a line when you get out there and i'll try and dispense any tips that I think may help you settle in.  Also, let me know if you fancy a beer, because likewise i don't know anyone out there!

All the best in your transition.  See you in Africa!

Jeremy

Guys,

As a fellow Brit in country at the moment I'm happy to stand the first round.
Give me a bell on 927 062193 when you arrive and we'll get something set up.

Derek