Moving to soyo

hi,

am moving to soyo in another couple of months, basically am an indian and first time am leaving to abroad to work with oil n gas firm.. am working with the same company from last 5 years in india.

am looking for necessary info on vaccination. and medicines that I should carry along with ma baggage. and i read in other blogs as most of the things are expensive. would like to know is that soyo city life is expensive similar to luanda ? if so what would be the expenses that i have to considered for soyo city life.

am getting free accommodation and food and transportation from ma company side.

Regards,
Hemanth.

Hi Hemanth!

Welcome to Expat.com!
I hope other members will be able to give you some good advices soon.

Regards
Armand

Hi Hermanth,
I hope you find this message before you depart.  Soyo is pretty much isolated from Luanda and supplies at local markets are very limited.  Most supplies are brought in sporadically from Luanda which means costs will likely be more expensive.  If you are allowed any kind of shipment or extra baggage allowance, you should fill it to the maximum weight with medicines such as ibuprofin, anti-diarhea, antihistamines, antibiotics, and anything else you may have needed in the past few years. 

Also, comforts from home, favorite spices, etc.  I cannot emphasize enough the limit of supplies in your area.  Things are improving, but it is happening slowly.

There is a pretty significant list of vaccinations that you should get before arriving in Angola including the live vaccine for Polio which has recently resurfaced in the area.  Hopefully, your company will supply you with the right vaccines.

Good luck