News for Expats

News for expats, because Libyan friends already know that.

A big meeting held in Benghazi on 13.th of March , all tribe's leaders and NTC members has joined and there was a great success on the meeting ,parties gave promises that there will be uniq Libya and no any federation will come and more important thing they decide on peace no fight anymore.

Zentan rebels handed over Tripoli Airport and left to their village.

The people who has gun on hand most of them registered either to army or to police..

ofcourse there are still small theft arround but tell me one country on the world that there is no theft,at least going better.

Streets are like before all shops are open woman and kids are smiling now, i am very hopefull about future in Libya.

Don't believe everything what you hear,i am living here and  i am woking here.Come back to your work and you will agree with me.

regards.
winafrica.

in Misurata ..sorry :-(

Thanks for your informations giving... I hope you are right and the future of Libya will be nice for all.

A lovely romantic post WinAfrica but you are way off the mark. The place is not enough safe yet for the expats to return.

This was a gunfight today in Tripoli in which at least 2 people were killed.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=407630129263074

Everyone still has a gun, I don't know anyone who has handed them back because all the criminals are still roaming the streets. There is still random gunfire at night.
Locals are still staying at home after dark.
Oh and as far as I know, Zintan still have the airport.

are schools and universities open and classes are on?
are banks allowing people to pick up their own money without restrictions?

fk

Things aint that romantic but aint that ugly either, I have been here since June, and I can see the change.
Business is picking up and street are more safe than before, yes everyone has a gun but with no majore incedents. what happened today in Tripoli is nothing and it happens everywhere, couple of semi freedom fighter fighting with eachother over stupid things, not a big deal. last week two people were killed in Vancouver metro and that was vancouver B.C Canada!

Most schools are open and students are going to class. Banks are open but with some restrictions, foreign currency is back to the normal rate.

Horizontal Harry wrote:

A lovely romantic post WinAfrica but you are way off the mark. The place is not enough safe yet for the expats to return.

This was a gunfight today in Tripoli in which at least 2 people were killed.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=407630129263074

Everyone still has a gun, I don't know anyone who has handed them back because all the criminals are still roaming the streets. There is still random gunfire at night.
Locals are still staying at home after dark.
Oh and as far as I know, Zintan still have the airport.

Dear Horizontal , I heard that fight just a couple of rebels did not want to give one building back to the government forces but it is under control now.A friend of mine has office there and just after the case he talked with army people no killed people.
Zintan rebels partly started leaving the airport  in couple of days you will see the result.
will be ok, try to think positive.
regards
winafrica

fatmakumru wrote:

are schools and universities open and classes are on?
are banks allowing people to pick up their own money without restrictions?

fk

yes they are open now and classes on ...you can get your money from the bank.
regards
winafrica

Trying to think positive is one thing, however advising people to return because Tripoli is safe is just wrong. It is not safe. Fact.

http://www.libyaherald.com/local-clashe … a-airbase/

Hey, why not bring the family, the kids will just love the tracer

Hey guys about Misrata - is the port now open and can freight and cargo move in and out of the port? Thanks.

hello a pleasant morning to all of u i just want to ask how safe to work now in libya i was delegated by ministry of health  and my agency told me that there is no absoulute hospital meaning when wee arrive thts the time we will know wat hospital we assign, then they told me that for 3 months they will give only allowance and it will deduct it in my salary then after that thats the time they will give the salary after 3 months.. then they told me that it is tax free how true is tht??? thank u and advance..

kpark00 wrote:

Hey guys about Misrata - is the port now open and can freight and cargo move in and out of the port? Thanks.

Yes Misrata port is open and working .
Regards
Win

Jenele wrote:

hello a pleasant morning to all of u i just want to ask how safe to work now in libya i was delegated by ministry of health  and my agency told me that there is no absoulute hospital meaning when wee arrive thts the time we will know wat hospital we assign, then they told me that for 3 months they will give only allowance and it will deduct it in my salary then after that thats the time they will give the salary after 3 months.. then they told me that it is tax free how true is tht??? thank u and advance..

Jenele,

It all sounds a bit sinister. You'd best try contact some Filipina nurses who work here. I don't think you'll get the answers you are looking for here.
Many nurses have been ripped off in the past, hopefully things have changed but you never know. Sorry I can't help you more.

Mo_marrakech wrote:

Most schools are open and students are going to class. Banks are open but with some restrictions, foreign currency is back to the normal rate.

Hi Mo - could you confirm the present restrictions in the banks - or have things moved on since you wrote this?...I basically need to know if the banks are fully operational and if it's possible now to send large sums of money into or out of the country, and also if Western Union is up and running again.  Would be grateful if you or anyone else in the know could let me know the real situation in that regard...

By the way - I spent a month back in tripoli in dec/jan - and had a wonderful time!!!  Had my first good night's sleep in almost a year!!  Tripoli was completely safe, I was able to walk around on my own till around 7pm - the only change was that as a foreign woman my friends suggested that i no longer walk around by myself later than that, as things werent compLETELY secured - but going around with friends was no problem, even after dark.  Shops were open, NEW shops had also opened, and people were walking around on the streets with smiles!!  Nightly debates on Meydan al Shuhada, and daily demonstrations in Meydan al jezayer - but in my mind that is a GOOD thing!!  :-)  I am planning to go back round about the beginning of August, God willing, once my present contract expires here in Malaysia...

God Bless
Jenni/Nur

Hi Jenni,

You can deposit large amounts and withraw them anytime you want the restriction is on old balances before Feb 2011. So if you had large amount of money in your acct before Feb 2011 you will not be able to withraw it at once you can take out only 2000 per week  however you still can write chqs and money orders from that balance.
Western union and all bank operations are working.
I hope that answered your qs!

Cheers Mo

Thanks Mo!!  That's good info!!!  But bad news for my boss and all our staff still waiting for our salaries - we are talking about money pre- Feb 2011!!  :-(

Hi Jenni,

Your boss still can deposit the money to his staff no problem there. as long as your boss anit connected to the old Gaddhfi gang he should not have any problems.
  You cannt withdraw cash in big sums from an old balance but you can transfer, write chqs and money orders.

Thanks Mo - the problem is - all our money is still in a local account, so it needs to be withdrawn to be able to pay us - most of whom are outside the country.  So it needs to be transferred to outside the country...But you say its ok to do this as long as they werent connected to G?...That should be no problem then, right?...  (They most def were NOT connected to old regime)....

Dear Win Africa
Your +tive accounts always give us high hopes and then they fall apart :-(... Not that it is your fault :-)
My husband, who is a small contractor, cannot get his money out of Libyan banks. He is even willing to start anew but there are no guarantees, no accountable offices. Banks maybe available for small withdrawals for the wage earners but definitely not for businesses.
As for schools and colleges, I am hearing that classes are not on and many college instructors are missing. So, your hopeful remarks on that count seem also incorrect.
We do want to comeback to Libya, we love Tripoli and our friends there. Maybe things are working well for big oil companies but for us, as small businessman and teachers there does not seem much prospects.
We still keep our eyes and ears open for some realistic perspectives.
fk

fatmakumru wrote:

Dear Win Africa
Your +tive accounts always give us high hopes and then they fall apart :-(... Not that it is your fault :-)
My husband, who is a small contractor, cannot get his money out of Libyan banks. He is even willing to start anew but there are no guarantees, no accountable offices. Banks maybe available for small withdrawals for the wage earners but definitely not for businesses.
As for schools and colleges, I am hearing that classes are not on and many college instructors are missing. So, your hopeful remarks on that count seem also incorrect.
We do want to comeback to Libya, we love Tripoli and our friends there. Maybe things are working well for big oil companies but for us, as small businessman and teachers there does not seem much prospects.
We still keep our eyes and ears open for some realistic perspectives.
fk

Thank you for your honest words. I am afraid things will need to take a lot more time before they settle down and go back to the way they were for foreigners.