Relocating to Warsaw or Budapest

Hi all, I just got a job offer with the option to relocate to either Budapest, Hungary or Warsaw, Poland.

I would like to seek the insight of those here on the pros/cons of either location.

I am currently residing in Asia, and am not familiar with either city.

So far, in my research, rentals seem higher in Warsaw (>30%), but the tax rates in Budapest are lower (flat 16%)

What would be a general breakdown of the deductibles on gross income?

Hello,

Don't be misleaded by the 16% personal tax. It's much more difficult than that.

From your gross salary u have to pay the following:

Personal tax 16%
pension 10%
in kind health insurance 4%
monetary health insurance 3%
labor market support fee 1,5%

and if u earn more than 2.424.000 HUF yearly than the base of the personal tax is increased by the difference 27%.
So something like this:
personal tax = (salary + (salary - 2.424.000)*0,27) * 0,16
Crazy...

I'm not recommending you to come to hungary ...

HI

If you are caming to Budapest I can offer you a very nice room in a recently redecorated beautiful flat XXI district of Budapest (Csepel) close to parks, shopping center, Tesco. Very safe and quiet area. Moments away from buses, HEV easy access to the city center. Day and night public transportation.

Large single room available in a 3 bedroom flat.
The room came with bed, big wardrobe, desk, TV, internet and well equipped kitchen.
Monthly fee is € 150 all bill inclusive.
Room is available for 1 August. You would just shere the flat with the owner.
For more information please contact on [email protected]

regards
Rita

I think the answer will in part be determined by what you prioritize for your time in Europe.

If the main issues is fiscal, than adding to what Entity said, also consider that currently Hungary has the highest VAT in Europe at 27% (Poland is 23%). If income is the most important, then maybe wait until an offer from Switzerland comes your way, as the living costs are high there, but the income is also better, and VAT tax rates are low (VAT is only 8% which is far below the EU required minimum).

Overall, I would say Poland is more "western Europe integrated". Hungary politics at the moment are a bit.... well, unusual.

If on the other hand if you have no interest in politics, and you want to experience local culture, to meet interesting people, and live in a beautiful city, then both Warsaw and Budapest are excellent choices and it would be hard to choose between the two. But they are each a short distance apart by plane or train and which ever you pick you can always visit the other.