How much I would save per month?

Wow, 1 million a month is fairly healthy for a Hungarian Salary. You can check how much money you will have left after tax by clciking this link: http://www.nettober.com/index.php?p=berkalk20120101 where it says "Havi Bruttó Munkabér" type in 1000000 and where it says Gyerekek Száma put in the number of children you have under the age of 18. Click the számol button and it will calculate how much you will be taxed and what will be left over.

Rent varies of cource depending on the apartment, but if you allocate around 30 - 40 thousand hungarian forints to utilities per month you should be about right.

Cheers

Colin
http://www.furgefutar.hu/

WOW!!! That's an amazing link!

Many thanks Colin :)

I could have just imputed the numbers for you... it looks like you would be clearing around 720000 Hungarian Forints per month :)

According to the calculator your net salary in month 8 (august of this year) would be 620000 and in month 9 (september of this year) 720000. Not sure quite how they calculate it as I am not an accountant but worst case scenario you are on 620000 per month.

In Hungary that salary is very very good. The average netto salary here in Hungary is around 130 - 150000 Forints per month.

The cost of living here is cheap, you will probably struggle to spend 620000 in a month.

You should look at this discussion. Note that he is giving his net salary.
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=194561

Afaik, a 3500 EUR gross salary in Hungary is the range, for example, for kind of senior IT people or upper-middle management of a larger firm. While there are some people above that level, I think it is safe to say, only a few % of the population earn that much every month.
High-school teachers start about a net 100k p.m., university teachers with phd about net 140-250k p.m. - but they are not perceived as well off, unfortunately.

A word of warning: the present government changed the tax system radically, introducing flat tax, favoured the high-income 'crowd'. Should progressive taxation be reintroduced after a few years, your tax would rise. But you'd still count as very well off...

Is there a reason (job) to live near Hungária körut? It is not  central, I don't know how nice that area is. You can live in a nice central place and use the red Metro for work, if you don't mind using it - the morning crowd should travel inwards, I think. But you can see what you like for yourself:-) (They should start using the brand new French metro wagons in a few months, instead of the old soviet ones)

Of course, it all depends on your lifestyle. Specifically, hiring someone, even if unskilled, is still more expensive here than some places in India. E.g. if you are used to having your own personal cook, that would be pretty expensive here, even from that salary, I think.
But buying the same in services, e.g. going to fine restaurants, should be absolutely no problem. Spending 30EUR/8000HUF on one meal is regarded as luxury, 2500 is already pretty OK.(See Gundel's homepage for one of the most expensive restaurants in the City)
Mmmm, why am I talking about eating ?  - need a Vacsora! ;-)

By the way does anyone know if it is at all possible to ask for tax deductions as is possible in some other countries?

Many thanks fireroller :)

My office is located at Hungária körut. So I was thinking, it would be better if I live nearby Hungária körut, so that I can walk to office :D However, I would prefer to live in a central area.

By the way, where I can get the best Vacsora? :D

Best Regards,
PK

fireroller wrote:

You should look at this discussion. Note that he is giving his net salary.
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=194561

Afaik, a 3500 EUR gross salary in Hungary is the range, for example, for kind of senior IT people or upper-middle management of a larger firm. While there are some people above that level, I think it is safe to say, only a few % of the population earn that much every month.
High-school teachers start about a net 100k p.m., university teachers with phd about net 140-250k p.m. - but they are not perceived as well off, unfortunately.

A word of warning: the present government changed the tax system radically, introducing flat tax, favoured the high-income 'crowd'. Should progressive taxation be reintroduced after a few years, your tax would rise. But you'd still count as very well off...

Is there a reason (job) to live near Hungária körut? It is not  central, I don't know how nice that area is. You can live in a nice central place and use the red Metro for work, if you don't mind using it - the morning crowd should travel inwards, I think. But you can see what you like for yourself:-) (They should start using the brand new French metro wagons in a few months, instead of the old soviet ones)

Of course, it all depends on your lifestyle. Specifically, hiring someone, even if unskilled, is still more expensive here than some places in India. E.g. if you are used to having your own personal cook, that would be pretty expensive here, even from that salary, I think.
But buying the same in services, e.g. going to fine restaurants, should be absolutely no problem. Spending 30EUR/8000HUF on one meal is regarded as luxury, 2500 is already pretty OK.(See Gundel's homepage for one of the most expensive restaurants in the City)
Mmmm, why am I talking about eating ?  - need a Vacsora! ;-)

Pacific16 wrote:

Many thanks fireroller :)
My office is located at Hungária körut. So I was thinking, it would be better if I live nearby Hungária körút, so that I can walk to office :D However, I would prefer to live in a central area.

By the way, where I can get the best Vacsora? :D

Vacsora... oh, millions of opportunities:-)
I, as an old Újlipótváros-ian, will urge you to take the 4/6 to Jászai Mari tér, walk down Pozsonyi út and look into Kiskakukk Étterem (classic style) or into Dunapark (modern, something like mid-century US(?) style) -  both are rather classy places (and 5 min from my place), see more here:
http://wikitravel.org/en/Budapest/Pest#Eathttp://www.kiskakukk.hu/http://www.dunaparkkavehaz.com/site/index.php?page=en

Of course you need to find out what of the international/hungarian cousin suits you - local eating habits are pretty meat-based, compared to a number of European and Indian regions.
Have a good Vacsora:-)

Hi, fireroller!

I have read some of your posts, and you seem to have quite a clue of what is a good salary in Budapest. I have the possibility of moving there next year, and my net income would be 370.000 HUF per month. So, there's the question:

What kind of live can I expect to have with that money? I know it's above the average, but just above the average or I would be well off? I would like to rent a nice apartment of 30-50 m2, not necessarily in the nicest area but close to the center (let's say 15-20 minutes with metro or tram).

I like going to good, quite expensive restaurants once a week, and to go out on weekends.

I would like to be able to travel to the neighbouring countries (Prague, Vienna, Krakow, Zagreb), for three/four days staying in a mid-range hotel, let's say, three/two times a year, and to go to concerts and opera performances, let's say, once/twice a month.

Will I be able to afford all this with 370.000 HUF in my pocket per month?

Thank you very much in advance!

By the way, what is a Vacsora?