Another 100-year bit of SaiGon history gone - the Thu Tiem ferry boats

On 2011 December 31 the one-hundred year life of the District 1>>Thu Tiem ferry boat came to a close with the successful completion of the magnificent Thu Tiem Tunnel under the River SaiGoN.

The three ferry boats have gone to their resting places after providing cheap transportation between the old Thu Tiem squatter area for thousands of workers and their motorcycles each and every day.

Given that the new tunnel is now open and free for bikes it was inevitable that this would happen. Indeed it was even announced prior to the tunnel opening that this would be the case.

I can at least say I have traveled via both methods and the tunnel is a far better option obviously. If D2 had any kind of tourist attractions it may have been viable for a tourist\nostalgia trip but beyond that had little left to offer.

Times change and people move on :)

Motorcycles cannot use the tunnel between 21.30 and 06.00H thanks to those crazy motorcycle racing fools.

There are ways to pass under the tunnel between those times too :)
Also at that time of night traveling out of HCMC via bridge is not too much slower due to the reduction in traffic.

Besides if they wanted to stop the street racing under the tunnel it wouldn't take much effort to quickly stop it.

laidbackfreak wrote:

There are ways to pass under the tunnel between those times too :)
Also at that time of night traveling out of HCMC via bridge is not too much slower due to the reduction in traffic.

Besides if they wanted to stop the street racing under the tunnel it wouldn't take much effort to quickly stop it.

Those ferries were death traps!  Getting off and on reminded me of a herd of cattle;I know at least one person who crashed his bike getting off.  I avoided it and would go all the way around and over the closest bridge.  Good riddance! 

Something like the Death Star's laser cannons would work in the tunnels.

Speaking of motorbike ferries, is there a service that takes the bikes across to vung tau? Anyone knows what the charges are & schedule?

Hue1964 wrote:

Speaking of motorbike ferries, is there a service that takes the bikes across to vung tau? Anyone knows what the charges are & schedule?

No, there's only the hydrofoils and you can't take bikes on them. 

You could take the hydrofoil down and then rent a bike there.  If you do that, make sure you buy both the initial and return tickets in HCMC.  You may get to Vung Tau and when you're ready to leave they'll tell you there's no tickets/they're sold out.  Then, as if by magic, someone will appear on a motorbike and offer to sell you tickets...at 2 to 3 times the face value!

Thanks for the advice mate. I've been to vung tau several times. The taxis there are a total ripoff even the mai linh ones are scammers that's why I want to bring my bike there. I've never had problems with return ferries maybe it's my luck or maybe because I'm an asian expat they think I'm vietnamese. Nevertheless thanks for your response man

Hue1964 wrote:

Thanks for the advice mate. I've been to vung tau several times. The taxis there are a total ripoff even the mai linh ones are scammers that's why I want to bring my bike there. I've never had problems with return ferries maybe it's my luck or maybe because I'm an asian expat they think I'm vietnamese. Nevertheless thanks for your response man

You're welcome.

How big are your stones? :D  I figure it'd take 2 hours to get there, so 1 hour driving, a 30 minute break, and one more hour of driving.  If you're an experienced rider, you should be fine.

Nope I'm not going to risk taking a 110cc scooter out of the city. Any punctures or breakdown I'm totally Ffffff since I don't speak the language. Maybe if I had a big bike & company I would consider the ride. But anyway big bikes are an instant attraction for the cong an to ask for donations to their welfare fund. That's a different issue anyway for another interesting post. Haha