Dating in Vietnam- different types of women

I'm seeing more and more thicker/bbw type women in Vietnam these days, but few seem to be on the dating sites. I tried hitting up a clerk directly but got shot down brutally. Don't know if this is even done here. Obviously they are still lesser in number than petites and I would imagine are somewhat more likely to be wealthier and less interested in foreigners, but there has to be a place to meet some, no?

VnTeacher3 wrote:

I would imagine are somewhat more likely to be wealthier and less interested in foreigners, but there has to be a place to meet some, no?

The answer is an emphatical NO to your imagination.  The wealthier women are slimmer, fitter, and classier dressed than the less prosperous ones.  If they were not born slim and fit, there are plenty of plastic surgeons, beauty clinics, and private trainers to give them the bodies of their choices -- and big is not beautiful to Vietnamese women.

Yes, there are places to meet wealthy Vietnamese and yes, they're interested in foreigners but only the very wealthy ones.  Wealthy Vietnamese meet very wealthy Vietnamese and very wealthy foreigners at events that are catered to wealthy people in Paris, London, Milan, Rome, and NYC.

They also meet at invitation-only events given by foreign Embassies and Consulates in Hanoi and Saigon.

I don't live in such rareified air. I live in a working/middle class area. A number of thinner women have actually expressed they would like to gain a bit, but they simply don't have the disposable income, which is what made me guess that at least in an area like mine a bigger woman is probably (a bit) wealthier at least.

VnTeacher3 wrote:

A number of thinner women have actually expressed they would like to gain a bit, but they simply don't have the disposable income, which is what made me guess that at least in an area like mine a bigger woman is probably (a bit) wealthier at least.

The women who told you they would like to gain weight are fishing for compliments.

Most Vietnamese women between the age of 17 and 35 would never see the needle on their scale reaches 47 or 48 kg and they would freak out if that happens. 

Gaining weight in Vietnam doesn't require disposable income.  Vietnamese doctors advice their female patients to consume 1300 calories a day to maintain the weight.  Two bowls of white rice twice a day consists of 520 calories, almost half of the needed calories while providing more carb than any woman would need.

The junk food here is incredibly inexpensive, and most Vietnamese can "ăn vặt" (have a snack) twice a day without breaking the budget.  Every fruit can be made into candied fruits (ô mai, mứt), hundreds of different hot and cold sweet desserts (chè), fried sour rolls (nem chua rán), cream cheese ice cream (kem phô mai), fried dough (bột chiên), milk tea, and everything fried on a skewer are among the top snacks and all are packed with empty calories.

VnTeacher3 wrote:

I don't live in such rareified air. I live in a working/middle class area. A number of thinner women have actually expressed they would like to gain a bit, but they simply don't have the disposable income, which is what made me guess that at least in an area like mine a bigger woman is probably (a bit) wealthier at least.

I think its more likely to be a bloke dressed as a woman you are seeing where you live then!!  :lol:

My ex was a tall slim (45kilo) doll when I met her in Sing, within 6 months of living with me at my place she gained 5 kilo. When we set up together in Tay Ninh 2008 within 2 years she was 55 kilo & 2016 when we split up my beautiful oriental girl had blown up into a 65 kilo water buffalo!
So I think you could be right, the more cash they have the more & better they can eat.
If you like fat birds I can give you her number if you like??

goodolboy wrote:

My ex was a tall slim (45kilo) doll when I met her in Sing, within 6 months of living with me at my place she gained 5 kilo. When we set up together in Tay Ninh 2008 within 2 years she was 55 kilo & 2016 when we split up my beautiful oriental girl had blown up into a 65 kilo water buffalo!
So I think you could be right, the more cash they have the more & better they can eat.

No, that's not it.

It's the same in every country:  most women who are married or in a stable relationship gain weight no matter the financial situation.  They gain weight because they don't need to maintain the most important tool (their beauty) to attract men anymore.

A degree of truth to this, but I was speaking on younger women who don't have children yet.

VnTeacher3 wrote:

I'm seeing more and more thicker/bbw type women in Vietnam these days, but few seem to be on the dating sites. I tried hitting up a clerk directly but got shot down brutally. Don't know if this is even done here. Obviously they are still lesser in number than petites and I would imagine are somewhat more likely to be wealthier and less interested in foreigners, but there has to be a place to meet some, no?

What does bbw mean?

Haha, maybe. Did you divorce over weight or other reasons :D?

goodolboy wrote:

What does bbw mean?

Big, Beautiful Woman.  In VN, big is not beautiful, not to the women and not to most men.  Even though beauty comes in all sizes and shapes, society pressure is the reason Vietnamese women do not let themselves gain weight.

VnTeacher3 wrote:

I haven't seen a lot of these body types in Vietnam at all, but I know that in Thailand, especially Bangkok, bigger women have become a much more common sight. The reason is western style fast food, which the younger generation likes a lot, and it shows. Personally I hope we won't see a similar development in Vietnam and Cambodia...

Kurterino wrote:
VnTeacher3 wrote:

I haven't seen a lot of these body types in Vietnam at all, but I know that in Thailand, especially Bangkok, bigger women have become a much more common sight. The reason is western style fast food, which the younger generation likes a lot, and it shows. Personally I hope we won't see a similar development in Vietnam and Cambodia...

Its already here!! I live above & 30 meters from a fairly big primary school, & believe me at least 30% I estimate are over weight already & some obese. 3 doors down mother is fat & daughter number 1, 10 years old is obese. Once they get a taste for a burger happy meal with extra onion rings & large coke or 12" pizza no different from Western or Thai.

In Vietnam, overweight men and women are considered gluttons.  There's no justification for the weight.  The adjectives "mập" (fat) and "ù" (very fat) are added to their names (Thanh Ù, Lan Mập, etc) and they're called as such even in public.  Tact is not always practiced and sensibility isn't an important part of social interaction.

goodolboy wrote:

Its already here!! I live above & 30 meters from a fairly big primary school, & believe me at least 30% I estimate are over weight already & some obese.

It seems to me the effect of fast food and bad diet is more prevalent in Saigon than in smaller cities.  Here in Vung Tau where fast food can be found just as easily as in Saigon, you can see hundreds of families walking and biking together all the time.  Adults and children of all ages are walking, biking, jogging, skating, swimming, aerobic dancing, and utilising outdoor exercise equipments daily.

Slower life can be a big help, not just on our physical health but also on the relationship with our loved ones.

Ciambella wrote:
goodolboy wrote:

What does bbw mean?

Big, Beautiful Woman.  In VN, big is not beautiful, not to the women and not to most men.  Even though beauty comes in all sizes and shapes, society pressure is the reason Vietnamese women do not let themselves gain weight.

And yet among the younger set early to late 20s, at least in my area, they all seem to be taken. The alone type seem to more likely be the small mousey type (not petite and elegant if you get the picture). But I'm sure every district has its own local culture.

goodolboy wrote:
Kurterino wrote:

Its already here!! I live above & 30 meters from a fairly big primary school, & believe me at least 30% I estimate are over weight already & some obese. 3 doors down mother is fat & daughter number 1, 10 years old is obese. Once they get a taste for a burger happy meal with extra onion rings & large coke or 12" pizza no different from Western or Thai.

Well, I still spend a lot of my time exploring the country, and outside of Saigon I really haven't noticed this trend, but I do believe you. And we can't blame them, everybody just seems to love fast food. What is a little sad, is that they have their own culture of fast food which -as far as I know- is healthier than western fast food.

Ciambella wrote:
VnTeacher3 wrote:

A number of thinner women have actually expressed they would like to gain a bit, but they simply don't have the disposable income, which is what made me guess that at least in an area like mine a bigger woman is probably (a bit) wealthier at least.

The women who told you they would like to gain weight are fishing for compliments.

Most Vietnamese women between the age of 17 and 35 would never see the needle on their scale reaches 47 or 48 kg and they would freak out if that happens. 

Gaining weight in Vietnam doesn't require disposable income.  Vietnamese doctors advice their female patients to consume 1300 calories a day to maintain the weight.  Two bowls of white rice twice a day consists of 520 calories, almost half of the needed calories while providing more carb than any woman would need.

The junk food here is incredibly inexpensive, and most Vietnamese can "ăn vặt" (have a snack) twice a day without breaking the budget.  Every fruit can be made into candied fruits (ô mai, mứt), hundreds of different hot and cold sweet desserts (chè), fried sour rolls (nem chua rán), cream cheese ice cream (kem phô mai), fried dough (bột chiên), milk tea, and everything fried on a skewer are among the top snacks and all are packed with empty calories.

Oh come on, what about that noodle soup with the processed meat in it & a big lump of Pork fat & a little bit of meat on the bone. I like it but never eat the lump of fat, but never ever been out to eat with a Vietnamese woman or man that dont love that bit of fat. What about another favorite, french fries dipped in pure butter & sugar or at the Goat meat beer & BBQ places where Vietnamese BBQ & eat pure goats fat, I dont believe they are good to keep you slim either.
Dont get me wrong here & dont take offence,  I have nothing against other people eating fatty food & getting fat, its just like I have said before, I think you live in a different Vietnam from me & what I see.

"Most Vietnamese women between the age of 17 and 35 would never see the needle on their scale reaches 47 or 48 kg and they would freak out if that happens."

Lol, at least in Saigon. Not unusual to see that size (or smaller) here, but there are a ton of slim looking women over 50, and if you don't mind a bit of curve, a fair amount over 60. A lot will lie about their weight initially. I was shocked chatting that its not unusual that they lie by a whole 10 kg! That's quite a white lie. They claim they used to weigh that or they gained during corona or something.

That said, I do see a minority of perfectly healthy looking women who look like they have never even seen 40kg in their life. So in short, there's quite a variance in sizes and even healthy sizes here. Different frames, muscle mass, curves etc.

goodolboy wrote:

Oh come on, what about that noodle soup with the processed meat in it & a big lump of Pork fat & a little bit of meat on the bone. I like it but never eat the lump of fat, but never ever been out to eat with a Vietnamese woman or man that dont love that bit of fat. What about another favorite, french fries dipped in pure butter & sugar or at the Goat meat beer & BBQ places where Vietnamese BBQ & eat pure goats fat, I dont believe they are good to keep you slim either.
Dont get me wrong here & dont take offence,  I have nothing against other people eating fatty food & getting fat, its just like I have said before, I think you live in a different Vietnam from me & what I see.

I've never once in my life said Vietnamese food is healthy.  I don't know if you're here a few years ago when we had several threads on the subject of healthy Vietnamese food (it's a myth).  I was one of a few people who explained what Vietnamese cooks from North to South put into their foods and how to read the ingredients on the packages of flavours that many Vietnamese cooks love.

I also didn't blame Western fast food for the new obesity in Vietnam.  I simply said it happens more in Saigon and less in smaller cities.

All the VIetnamese snacks I cited in one of the above comments were bad food, food with empty calories, food with too much sugar or too much carb, fried food, dried (processed} food.  I don't have any defense for the majority of Vietnamese food.  I'm surrounded by Vietnamese who love to cook and love to eat, I know what true Vietnamese diet is.

Kurterino wrote:
goodolboy wrote:
Kurterino wrote:

Well, I still spend a lot of my time exploring the country, and outside of Saigon I really haven't noticed this trend, but I do believe you. And we can't blame them, everybody just seems to love fast food. What is a little sad, is that they have their own culture of fast food which -as far as I know- is healthier than western fast food.

Bum Bo is a sort of fast food & I bet its up there & more on the fatty food scale with any  burger!! Also the processed meat & meat balls thats part of the dish you dont have a clue whats in it & I bet its not prime cut thats for sure!
Saying that I love it say once a week, but I make up for it with lots fruit & veg most of the time.

My 'BETTER HALF' complains bitterly if that needle on the bathroom scales hits as hit as 50kgs !!! Met her way back in 2012 - knew immediately that she was the 'perfect lady' that I'd always dreamed of meeting !!!  Took a LOT of hard work and behaving myself at all times - finally persuaded her to marry me !!! ( took another 4 years for her mother to accept me into the family )
Well worth everything !!!  Not as much as one argument between us since 5th January, 2012 !!!
She is IMHO - - - ABSOLUTELY PERFECT !!!!   :-)  PS - my younger sister-in-law is a REAL, FULL TIME CHEF !

From what I've seen and heard, overweight women are a subject of gossip along with everything else that comes up to mind. They will say it to their face at times. My dad's GF's daughter is chubby and her mom let her know from time to time directly or indirectly. Not so much with overweight men but I haven't seen an obese man in VN but I would think that would be a subject of gossip too.

qnbui wrote:

I haven't seen an obese man in VN but I would think that would be a subject of gossip too.

I have a VN supplier that we do a lot of work with.  He is either 120 or 125 kg, don't remember exactly.  Great guy and I like him a lot.  He is one of the guys that I go to Con Dao fishing with a couple times a year.  I worry about his health and told him about this many times.

Ciambella wrote:
VnTeacher3 wrote:

Based on my life in VN, I concur with Ciambella.  My wife was 45g when we met, when we got married and after having our daughter.  She looked amazing when she was pregnant and if you saw her from behind, you would have no clue she was pregnant.  She only gained weight in her stomach.  What was funny, the day of delivery, the nurse who put the id on her wrist smiled and said "wow, your wrist is so small!".

BTW - my wife eats more than me, alot more, but does not gain weight.  Yes, we eat VN food, not western food.  I have taught her to exclude the typical chemicals (e,g., msg) from our food.  Took some time, but then she realized it did not make any difference in taste. 

Being not over weight is important, absolutely.  Not only to her, but all the women in her life, family, coworkers friends etc.  So even though I watched many VN women eat the local foods, none are over weight.  The only over weight women I know are the ones 50 and older.  None of the younger women I met in the home, neighborhood, co-workers etc., I do not know 1 that I would consider over weight.

So all the young women in their 20's are taken.  As I have said many times, VN men are not stupid and of course, the young attractive women are going to be taken, not rocket science.

Hi. I am moving to Vietnam next year. Since, I am moving there, I would like to date in the country. I was wondering if women in Ho Chi Minh City have traditional  Vietnamese values/ mentality or have they become westernized.  Since, Ho Chi Minh is the financial center of Vietnam, it is the most influenced by other cultures but at the same time people all over the country move to the city for jobs. First, when I mean westernized I do not mean changing thoughts on gender roles. I know that  has changed. I am talking more about a woman thinking more with Asian values on family, culture, priorities etc or have they essentially changed to more western mentality on things. Thanks

@BobbyM

Hello,

Please note that I have moved your post to an existing topic that is still relevant.

I suggest you read the different posts while waiting for members to respond.

Regards

Bhavna

@Bhavna this is an old post from 4 years ago. Vietnam has changed since then. Please move it back

@Bhavna this is an old post from 4 years ago. Vietnam has change since then. Please move it back

-@BobbyM

Please get over yourself.

I personally think you are lucky your post wasn't deleted.

@OceanBeach92107 Why are you so mad. I am just asking about the personality of women. This whole post is about how is the shape of a women's body. I am asking about personality. It is much more important in a relationship. Why are you ok with a question about looks but annoyed with my question on personality

@BobbyM

Hello, please note that I am not moving your post.

Expat.com is a website dedicated to expatriation (visas, everyday life, formalities) . We do allow from time to time posts in regards to dating/women etc but we tend to keep such topics rare on the website as they don't do well (objectifying women, reduce them into stereotypes etc).

Regards

Bhavna

@OceanBeach92107 Why are you so mad. I am just asking about the personality of women. This whole post is about how is the shape of a women's body. I am asking about personality. It is much more important in a relationship. Why are you ok with a question about looks but annoyed with my question on personality

-@BobbyM

Your previous thread dealt with your identity as a relatively wealthy Asian-Indian American and your concern about being accepted by Vietnamese women.

Now you are concerned that Vietnamese women might not have the same traditionally Asian values regarding "family, culture, priorities".

It's virtually certain that any Vietnamese women adhering to traditional Vietnamese values regarding family, culture and Vietnamese priorities in life are not going to be interested in an intimate relationship with any man who isn't Vietnamese.

Don't be fooled by the myth that most Vietnamese women in HCMC (or any big city) are "westernized" in the ways you've suggested.

Only a person limiting their experience to expat bubbles would believe that

The only Vietnamese women in HCMC & elsewhere who will be open to having any type of relationship with you will be the ones who are "westernized" in the way you've described.

It will be best if you let go of your fantasy before moving here.

@OceanBeach92107 You are misunderstanding what I am saying. Western society and Eastern society have different mentalities in terms of family, culture etc. I mean all eastern countries not just Vietnam but other asian countries, China, India, Japan, South Korea and all others. For instance, Eastern society gives more importance on elders , they take care of them more, listen to them more , in vietnam some restaurants even serve elders before the younger generation. where as in the west they tend to move far away , for instance, retired people move to Florida and the kids visit them during the holidays, when in the east the chances are they will stay with their children after retirement if it is possible for the children

Another example, is eastern countries believe more in following cultural tradition but western society is more influenced by pop culture. Lets just take sex in to account. Men and women are less about one night stands and more about long term relationship in the east ( I am talking about in general) .

There are a lot of other examples, in the difference of mentality between the east and west. I was just asking if women have changed ( you can say the same about men, but I am not dating men)  to a more western mentality. I am not saying do they follow Vietnamese traditions more. It is just a difference in mind set between the west and east. I have never been an expat ( lived in another country) but I have only traveled. I do not know how other societies have change individual culture through globalization. As a foreigner in another country I am trying to find out if I should expect American minded girls or if I should expect women to have a more eastern society mindset. I am not trying to be offensive but to figure out what to expect.

Also, in the previous post I said I make a decent living not that I was wealthy and that was because some one asked

If she has grown up with absent, psychologically, physically abusive or  weak and controlled by wife, too permissive father or even mother (lack of control enviroment) she will never be material for long term/marriage relationship - no matter how much Eastern, Western, North Pole values you search in her. I believe you should check for these things first, not idealizing/discarding any culture. Her character traits counts mostly  and these are build into her at early stage of her life, rest is just cultural things.

@OceanBeach92107 You are misunderstanding what I am saying. Western society and Eastern society have different mentalities in terms of family, culture etc. I mean all eastern countries not just Vietnam but other asian countries, China, India, Japan, South Korea and all others. For instance, Eastern society gives more importance on elders , they take care of them more, listen to them more , in vietnam some restaurants even serve elders before the younger generation. where as in the west they tend to move far away , for instance, retired people move to Florida and the kids visit them during the holidays, when in the east the chances are they will stay with their children after retirement if it is possible for the children
Another example, is eastern countries believe more in following cultural tradition but western society is more influenced by pop culture. Lets just take sex in to account. Men and women are less about one night stands and more about long term relationship in the east ( I am talking about in general) .
There are a lot of other examples, in the difference of mentality between the east and west. I was just asking if women have changed ( you can say the same about men, but I am not dating men)  to a more western mentality. I am not saying do they follow Vietnamese traditions more. It is just a difference in mind set between the west and east. I have never been an expat ( lived in another country) but I have only traveled. I do not know how other societies have change individual culture through globalization. As a foreigner in another country I am trying to find out if I should expect American minded girls or if I should expect women to have a more eastern society mindset. I am not trying to be offensive but to figure out what to expect.
Also, in the previous post I said I make a decent living not that I was wealthy and that was because some one asked

-@BobbyM

I'm going by what you said.

Since you meant something other than what you said, I'm not going to pick apart your posts to make a point.

Bottom line: Your initial concern in your previous thread was whether or not Vietnamese women would be willing to have a relationship with you, a man with Asian-Indian genetic heritage but an "upper middle class" income (which is considered especially wealthy in Việt Nam).

I'm saying, in a Vietnamese family where the woman follows the conservative traditions and expectations of her elders, you are not likely to ever be introduced to the family as a love interest by her saying, "Guess who's coming to dinner?"

I'm attempting to caution you against choosing a "westernized" Vietnamese woman who is open to dating you but somehow expecting her to be fully "traditional" in the conservative sense of the word (here in Việt Nam).

I'm saying I'd be willing to wager that it will be impossible for you to get into a relationship with a single (never married) Vietnamese woman without children who firmly fits into a conservative traditional mold.

However, you should have no problem finding "westernized" Vietnamese women in larger cities who will eagerly want to spend time with you and quickly propose marriage, especially once they learn about your income level.

Good luck! 🤞

@OceanBeach92107 basically you are saying since I am not vietnamese, I will most likely won't be able to get a fully "traditional" woman in vietnam but you think I can date a traditional woman that is open to dating foreigners in cities since they are exposed to the international citizens through business and tourism.  However,  I need to make sure she is not dating me for my upper middle class income. Right?

Hey Bobby I'll offer my 2000 VND, American having lived in Vietnam 8 years and married to a Vietnamese I met here. I live in central Saigon in a poor Vietnamese-only district. I am stared at every day, and charmed by kids who run up to me to squeak some English words (3 tonight).

Regarding "westernized", I can divide the marriageable population of Vietnamese women into 3 parts. First note that Vietnam is a monoculture, with perhaps only 1% foreigners. Even in the cities, the vast majority do not even know any foreigners. When they went to school, kids were not taught about other countries, history, geography, politics, even in SEAsia. My wife learned about famous generals and emperors and propaganda. Foreigners are considered exotic beasts.

Groupings:

• Women who are not interested in foreigners, mostly because they never met any, only speak Vietnamese, their whole life is Vietnam world (95%?), of course traditional, found in every city and town, all incomes.
  • Women who are college educated, live in top 5ish cities where they came into contact with foreigners, took English classes where they met teachers and lost their innate fear of foreigners, aware of the outside world, wanted to study in a Western country, mostly shy. Tend to be more middle class+ than poor. 5% of the younger ones in cities?
  • Westernized progressive feminists, college, probably have family that moved overseas, maybe smoke, rarely tattoos, very very rarely green hair. They really want to leave Vietnam - OR - they are expats born overseas who moved here to stir things up. Saigon, Ha Noi, Da Nang. Guessing < 0.1 %.

Obviously you are looking at the middle group. There are buddhists, christians, muslims, tho religion is not encouraged by the government (because communism roots). We saw an outdoor gathering of buddhists broken up by police in D7 (freedom to assemble in US). Yet all Vietnamese still also worship ancestors. So many superstitions.

Most women are shy, Women do most of the work. There are a lot of men who don't work where I live. Men lead. (traditional gender roles)  Sure my dentist is a woman, there is a woman billionaire at the head of VietJet, but I wouldn't call them westernized feminists. Most women have children in their 20s but I don't know about GenZ or birth rate trends.  Families are the most important thing. Friends are lower priority.  There is a lot of theft and petty crime and scams, that is an unfortunate part of the culture - one wonders  where is the moral framework - so another reason to be less trustful of those outside the family.

Anyway these are my gross generalizations. We are all individuals. Hope that helps. 1f63c.svg

@OceanBeach92107 basically you are saying since I am not vietnamese, I will most likely won't be able to get a fully "traditional" woman in vietnam but you think I can date a traditional woman that is open to dating foreigners in cities since they are exposed to the international citizens through business and tourism.  However,  I need to make sure she is not dating me for my upper middle class income. Right?

-@BobbyM

No.

@OceanBeach92107 basically you are saying since I am not vietnamese, I will most likely won't be able to get a fully "traditional" woman in vietnam but you think I can date a traditional woman that is open to dating foreigners in cities since they are exposed to the international citizens through business and tourism.  However,  I need to make sure she is not dating me for my upper middle class income. Right?        -@BobbyM

No.

-@OceanBeach92107

Geez,

mAC