Dating in Vietnam- different types of women

I'm seeing more and more thicker/bbw type women in Vietnam these days, but few seem to be on the dating sites. I tried hitting up a clerk directly but got shot down brutally. Don't know if this is even done here. Obviously they are still lesser in number than petites and I would imagine are somewhat more likely to be wealthier and less interested in foreigners, but there has to be a place to meet some, no?

VnTeacher3 :

I would imagine are somewhat more likely to be wealthier and less interested in foreigners, but there has to be a place to meet some, no?

The answer is an emphatical NO to your imagination.  The wealthier women are slimmer, fitter, and classier dressed than the less prosperous ones.  If they were not born slim and fit, there are plenty of plastic surgeons, beauty clinics, and private trainers to give them the bodies of their choices -- and big is not beautiful to Vietnamese women.

Yes, there are places to meet wealthy Vietnamese and yes, they're interested in foreigners but only the very wealthy ones.  Wealthy Vietnamese meet very wealthy Vietnamese and very wealthy foreigners at events that are catered to wealthy people in Paris, London, Milan, Rome, and NYC.

They also meet at invitation-only events given by foreign Embassies and Consulates in Hanoi and Saigon.

I don't live in such rareified air. I live in a working/middle class area. A number of thinner women have actually expressed they would like to gain a bit, but they simply don't have the disposable income, which is what made me guess that at least in an area like mine a bigger woman is probably (a bit) wealthier at least.

VnTeacher3 :

A number of thinner women have actually expressed they would like to gain a bit, but they simply don't have the disposable income, which is what made me guess that at least in an area like mine a bigger woman is probably (a bit) wealthier at least.

The women who told you they would like to gain weight are fishing for compliments.

Most Vietnamese women between the age of 17 and 35 would never see the needle on their scale reaches 47 or 48 kg and they would freak out if that happens. 

Gaining weight in Vietnam doesn't require disposable income.  Vietnamese doctors advice their female patients to consume 1300 calories a day to maintain the weight.  Two bowls of white rice twice a day consists of 520 calories, almost half of the needed calories while providing more carb than any woman would need.

The junk food here is incredibly inexpensive, and most Vietnamese can "ăn vặt" (have a snack) twice a day without breaking the budget.  Every fruit can be made into candied fruits (ô mai, mứt), hundreds of different hot and cold sweet desserts (chè), fried sour rolls (nem chua rán), cream cheese ice cream (kem phô mai), fried dough (bột chiên), milk tea, and everything fried on a skewer are among the top snacks and all are packed with empty calories.

VnTeacher3 :

I don't live in such rareified air. I live in a working/middle class area. A number of thinner women have actually expressed they would like to gain a bit, but they simply don't have the disposable income, which is what made me guess that at least in an area like mine a bigger woman is probably (a bit) wealthier at least.

I think its more likely to be a bloke dressed as a woman you are seeing where you live then!!  :lol:

My ex was a tall slim (45kilo) doll when I met her in Sing, within 6 months of living with me at my place she gained 5 kilo. When we set up together in Tay Ninh 2008 within 2 years she was 55 kilo & 2016 when we split up my beautiful oriental girl had blown up into a 65 kilo water buffalo!
So I think you could be right, the more cash they have the more & better they can eat.
If you like fat birds I can give you her number if you like??

goodolboy :

My ex was a tall slim (45kilo) doll when I met her in Sing, within 6 months of living with me at my place she gained 5 kilo. When we set up together in Tay Ninh 2008 within 2 years she was 55 kilo & 2016 when we split up my beautiful oriental girl had blown up into a 65 kilo water buffalo!
So I think you could be right, the more cash they have the more & better they can eat.

No, that's not it.

It's the same in every country:  most women who are married or in a stable relationship gain weight no matter the financial situation.  They gain weight because they don't need to maintain the most important tool (their beauty) to attract men anymore.

A degree of truth to this, but I was speaking on younger women who don't have children yet.

VnTeacher3 :

I'm seeing more and more thicker/bbw type women in Vietnam these days, but few seem to be on the dating sites. I tried hitting up a clerk directly but got shot down brutally. Don't know if this is even done here. Obviously they are still lesser in number than petites and I would imagine are somewhat more likely to be wealthier and less interested in foreigners, but there has to be a place to meet some, no?

What does bbw mean?

Haha, maybe. Did you divorce over weight or other reasons :D?

goodolboy :

What does bbw mean?

Big, Beautiful Woman.  In VN, big is not beautiful, not to the women and not to most men.  Even though beauty comes in all sizes and shapes, society pressure is the reason Vietnamese women do not let themselves gain weight.

VnTeacher3 :

I haven’t seen a lot of these body types in Vietnam at all, but I know that in Thailand, especially Bangkok, bigger women have become a much more common sight. The reason is western style fast food, which the younger generation likes a lot, and it shows. Personally I hope we won’t see a similar development in Vietnam and Cambodia...

Kurterino :
VnTeacher3 :

I haven’t seen a lot of these body types in Vietnam at all, but I know that in Thailand, especially Bangkok, bigger women have become a much more common sight. The reason is western style fast food, which the younger generation likes a lot, and it shows. Personally I hope we won’t see a similar development in Vietnam and Cambodia...

Its already here!! I live above & 30 meters from a fairly big primary school, & believe me at least 30% I estimate are over weight already & some obese. 3 doors down mother is fat & daughter number 1, 10 years old is obese. Once they get a taste for a burger happy meal with extra onion rings & large coke or 12" pizza no different from Western or Thai.

In Vietnam, overweight men and women are considered gluttons.  There's no justification for the weight.  The adjectives "mập" (fat) and "ù" (very fat) are added to their names (Thanh Ù, Lan Mập, etc) and they're called as such even in public.  Tact is not always practiced and sensibility isn't an important part of social interaction.

goodolboy :

Its already here!! I live above & 30 meters from a fairly big primary school, & believe me at least 30% I estimate are over weight already & some obese.

It seems to me the effect of fast food and bad diet is more prevalent in Saigon than in smaller cities.  Here in Vung Tau where fast food can be found just as easily as in Saigon, you can see hundreds of families walking and biking together all the time.  Adults and children of all ages are walking, biking, jogging, skating, swimming, aerobic dancing, and utilising outdoor exercise equipments daily.

Slower life can be a big help, not just on our physical health but also on the relationship with our loved ones.

Ciambella :
goodolboy :

What does bbw mean?

Big, Beautiful Woman.  In VN, big is not beautiful, not to the women and not to most men.  Even though beauty comes in all sizes and shapes, society pressure is the reason Vietnamese women do not let themselves gain weight.

And yet among the younger set early to late 20s, at least in my area, they all seem to be taken. The alone type seem to more likely be the small mousey type (not petite and elegant if you get the picture). But I'm sure every district has its own local culture.

goodolboy :
Kurterino :

Its already here!! I live above & 30 meters from a fairly big primary school, & believe me at least 30% I estimate are over weight already & some obese. 3 doors down mother is fat & daughter number 1, 10 years old is obese. Once they get a taste for a burger happy meal with extra onion rings & large coke or 12" pizza no different from Western or Thai.

Well, I still spend a lot of my time exploring the country, and outside of Saigon I really haven’t noticed this trend, but I do believe you. And we can’t blame them, everybody just seems to love fast food. What is a little sad, is that they have their own culture of fast food which -as far as I know- is healthier than western fast food.

Ciambella :
VnTeacher3 :

A number of thinner women have actually expressed they would like to gain a bit, but they simply don't have the disposable income, which is what made me guess that at least in an area like mine a bigger woman is probably (a bit) wealthier at least.

The women who told you they would like to gain weight are fishing for compliments.

Most Vietnamese women between the age of 17 and 35 would never see the needle on their scale reaches 47 or 48 kg and they would freak out if that happens. 

Gaining weight in Vietnam doesn't require disposable income.  Vietnamese doctors advice their female patients to consume 1300 calories a day to maintain the weight.  Two bowls of white rice twice a day consists of 520 calories, almost half of the needed calories while providing more carb than any woman would need.

The junk food here is incredibly inexpensive, and most Vietnamese can "ăn vặt" (have a snack) twice a day without breaking the budget.  Every fruit can be made into candied fruits (ô mai, mứt), hundreds of different hot and cold sweet desserts (chè), fried sour rolls (nem chua rán), cream cheese ice cream (kem phô mai), fried dough (bột chiên), milk tea, and everything fried on a skewer are among the top snacks and all are packed with empty calories.

Oh come on, what about that noodle soup with the processed meat in it & a big lump of Pork fat & a little bit of meat on the bone. I like it but never eat the lump of fat, but never ever been out to eat with a Vietnamese woman or man that dont love that bit of fat. What about another favorite, french fries dipped in pure butter & sugar or at the Goat meat beer & BBQ places where Vietnamese BBQ & eat pure goats fat, I dont believe they are good to keep you slim either.
Dont get me wrong here & dont take offence,  I have nothing against other people eating fatty food & getting fat, its just like I have said before, I think you live in a different Vietnam from me & what I see.

"Most Vietnamese women between the age of 17 and 35 would never see the needle on their scale reaches 47 or 48 kg and they would freak out if that happens."

Lol, at least in Saigon. Not unusual to see that size (or smaller) here, but there are a ton of slim looking women over 50, and if you don't mind a bit of curve, a fair amount over 60. A lot will lie about their weight initially. I was shocked chatting that its not unusual that they lie by a whole 10 kg! That's quite a white lie. They claim they used to weigh that or they gained during corona or something.

That said, I do see a minority of perfectly healthy looking women who look like they have never even seen 40kg in their life. So in short, there's quite a variance in sizes and even healthy sizes here. Different frames, muscle mass, curves etc.

goodolboy :

Oh come on, what about that noodle soup with the processed meat in it & a big lump of Pork fat & a little bit of meat on the bone. I like it but never eat the lump of fat, but never ever been out to eat with a Vietnamese woman or man that dont love that bit of fat. What about another favorite, french fries dipped in pure butter & sugar or at the Goat meat beer & BBQ places where Vietnamese BBQ & eat pure goats fat, I dont believe they are good to keep you slim either.
Dont get me wrong here & dont take offence,  I have nothing against other people eating fatty food & getting fat, its just like I have said before, I think you live in a different Vietnam from me & what I see.

I've never once in my life said Vietnamese food is healthy.  I don't know if you're here a few years ago when we had several threads on the subject of healthy Vietnamese food (it's a myth).  I was one of a few people who explained what Vietnamese cooks from North to South put into their foods and how to read the ingredients on the packages of flavours that many Vietnamese cooks love.

I also didn't blame Western fast food for the new obesity in Vietnam.  I simply said it happens more in Saigon and less in smaller cities.

All the VIetnamese snacks I cited in one of the above comments were bad food, food with empty calories, food with too much sugar or too much carb, fried food, dried (processed} food.  I don't have any defense for the majority of Vietnamese food.  I'm surrounded by Vietnamese who love to cook and love to eat, I know what true Vietnamese diet is.

Kurterino :
goodolboy :
Kurterino :

Well, I still spend a lot of my time exploring the country, and outside of Saigon I really haven’t noticed this trend, but I do believe you. And we can’t blame them, everybody just seems to love fast food. What is a little sad, is that they have their own culture of fast food which -as far as I know- is healthier than western fast food.

Bum Bo is a sort of fast food & I bet its up there & more on the fatty food scale with any  burger!! Also the processed meat & meat balls thats part of the dish you dont have a clue whats in it & I bet its not prime cut thats for sure!
Saying that I love it say once a week, but I make up for it with lots fruit & veg most of the time.

My 'BETTER HALF' complains bitterly if that needle on the bathroom scales hits as hit as 50kgs !!! Met her way back in 2012 - knew immediately that she was the 'perfect lady' that I'd always dreamed of meeting !!!  Took a LOT of hard work and behaving myself at all times - finally persuaded her to marry me !!! ( took another 4 years for her mother to accept me into the family )
Well worth everything !!!  Not as much as one argument between us since 5th January, 2012 !!!
She is IMHO - - - ABSOLUTELY PERFECT !!!!   :-)  PS - my younger sister-in-law is a REAL, FULL TIME CHEF !

From what I've seen and heard, overweight women are a subject of gossip along with everything else that comes up to mind. They will say it to their face at times. My dad's GF's daughter is chubby and her mom let her know from time to time directly or indirectly. Not so much with overweight men but I haven't seen an obese man in VN but I would think that would be a subject of gossip too.

qnbui :

I haven't seen an obese man in VN but I would think that would be a subject of gossip too.

I have a VN supplier that we do a lot of work with.  He is either 120 or 125 kg, don't remember exactly.  Great guy and I like him a lot.  He is one of the guys that I go to Con Dao fishing with a couple times a year.  I worry about his health and told him about this many times.

Ciambella :
VnTeacher3 :

Based on my life in VN, I concur with Ciambella.  My wife was 45g when we met, when we got married and after having our daughter.  She looked amazing when she was pregnant and if you saw her from behind, you would have no clue she was pregnant.  She only gained weight in her stomach.  What was funny, the day of delivery, the nurse who put the id on her wrist smiled and said "wow, your wrist is so small!".

BTW - my wife eats more than me, alot more, but does not gain weight.  Yes, we eat VN food, not western food.  I have taught her to exclude the typical chemicals (e,g., msg) from our food.  Took some time, but then she realized it did not make any difference in taste. 

Being not over weight is important, absolutely.  Not only to her, but all the women in her life, family, coworkers friends etc.  So even though I watched many VN women eat the local foods, none are over weight.  The only over weight women I know are the ones 50 and older.  None of the younger women I met in the home, neighborhood, co-workers etc., I do not know 1 that I would consider over weight.

So all the young women in their 20's are taken.  As I have said many times, VN men are not stupid and of course, the young attractive women are going to be taken, not rocket science.