Shampoo Treatment

Can anyone recommend a good barber shop with 1-hour head massage and shampoo service (legit; no hanky panky pls) where after a hair cut you lie on a flat chair and get an hour shampoo? My two favorite places "Kim" on Le Thanh Ton (across from the Norfolk Hotel) and Chu Manh Trinh have closed down. Looking for a new place. What's your favorite place in D1 or D2? Thank you so much.

Damn!!!! and here I thought i was going to be able to share my extensive list of "Extra Service Hot Toc" ....

chenwen wrote:

Can anyone recommend a good barber shop with 1-hour head massage and shampoo service (legit; no hanky panky pls) where after a hair cut you lie on a flat chair and get an hour shampoo? My two favorite places "Kim" on Le Thanh Ton (across from the Norfolk Hotel) and Chu Manh Trinh have closed down. Looking for a new place. What's your favorite place in D1 or D2? Thank you so much.

A concierge at one of the better D1 hotels can likely point you in the right direction

chenwen wrote:

If you pay extra money or if you request you need head massages then every Barbershop does it, and it depends on how you pay them.  Most of the shop do it maybe 20 minutes.

Contem talk wrote:
chenwen wrote:

If you pay extra money or if you request you need head massages then every Barbershop does it, and it depends on how you pay them.  Most of the shop do it maybe 20 minutes.

I'm glad somebody else mentioned that.

I don't think I've ever known of anyone who gives a 1-hour shampoo.

At least, not of the scalp...

Yes, there's 1-hour shampoo. There are shops that specialize for this kind of service. Kim on Le Thanh Ton and Chu Manh Trinh was the best. There's also a bunch of barber shops with skimpily dressed ladies near Ben Thanh market, between Truong Dinh and Le Anh Xuan, that offer this service. Most of them should be avoided. They give you a fixed price and just tell you at the end of the shampoo how much to  tip. Other ones with not so skimpily dressed ladies like Kim that give you a fixed price and you tip at your own discretion. No sex services for these places. You walk in the back room. It's dark and relaxing. You lie on flat benches next to a bunch of other people (men and women) and the lady stands behind you and wash, massage your scalp, and rinse your hair.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

There are many places in VT that give very good one-hour shampoo.

Yes, some places offer 1-hour shampoo. You have to look very hard for it in Saigon.

Ciambella wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

There are many places in VT that give very good one-hour shampoo.

Then I'm gonna do it!

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

Then I'm gonna do it!

Shampoo, really?   :lol::lol::lol:

chenwen wrote:

Yes, there's 1-hour shampoo. There are shops that specialize for this kind of service. Kim on Le Thanh Ton and Chu Manh Trinh was the best. There's also a bunch of barber shops with skimpily dressed ladies near Ben Thanh market, between Truong Dinh and Le Anh Xuan, that offer this service. Most of them should be avoided. They give you a fixed price and just tell you at the end of the shampoo how much to  tip. Other ones with not so skimpily dressed ladies like Kim that give you a fixed price and you tip at your own discretion. No sex services for these places. You walk in the back room. It's dark and relaxing. You lie on flat benches next to a bunch of other people (men and women) and the lady stands behind you and wash, massage your scalp, and rinse your hair.

Could you tell us with your experience how much it cost and how much you have tipped?

Ciambella wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

Then I'm gonna do it!

Shampoo, really?   :lol::lol::lol:

I'll let my hair grow out a 16th of an inch, then have it shampooed for an hour, then I'll have a scalp shave... 😁

Legit places: 250,000 fixed price for on hour. I normally tip 50K to 70K. I'm a cheap bastard.
If you walk into skimpily clad ladies shops, they tell you shampoo costs 200K. After you're done. They say you must tip 300K because the ladies don't make a salary. A group of us from Taiwan got scammed. Buyers beware. Should always ask how much is tip and agree on total price first. I guess I should have known with skimpily clad places. They need more money to buy more clothes for the frigid Saigon weather.

Do it! It's one of the best things about Saigon. This and the food and the 30 minutes ear picking service with a lady that looks like she's mining for gold with her head light and bundle of tools.

chenwen wrote:

Do it! It's one of the best things about Saigon. This and the food and the 30 minutes ear picking service with a lady that looks like she's mining for gold with her head light and bundle of tools.

I am happy for you.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

I'll let my hair grow out a 16th of an inch, then have it shampooed for an hour, then I'll have a scalp shave... 😁

Shave costs extra.   :P

chenwen wrote:

Legit places: 250,000 fixed price for on hour. I normally tip 50K to 70K. I'm a cheap bastard.

There are several places on FB that charge 250k with emphasis on "No Tip, Please".

Can you show us the links?

chenwen wrote:

I know this is common, not only in Saigon but throughout Asia, and reputedly very relaxing, but any western doctor would have a fit about putting metallic objects in anyone's ear. I am surprised that Vietnam's younger more progressive physicians have not spoken up about this practice.

THIGV wrote:
chenwen wrote:

I know this is common, not only in Saigon but throughout Asia, and reputedly very relaxing, but any western doctor would have a fit about putting metallic objects in anyone's ear. I am surprised that Vietnam's younger more progressive physicians have not spoken up about this practice.

I'm sure you're right.

They would have a fit.

But the truth is, if you go to an EENT doctor, and they want your ears cleaned they rarely if ever would be doing the cleaning themselves.

They turn the task over to a technician who doesn't need to have a special license.

In the VA mine was done by a nursing assistant type office worker.

After I had done the wax softening treatment in my ears and she irrigated my ears, she then used metal instruments to finish pulling out what wouldn't come out with irrigation.

I've had my ears cleaned three times now since being in Vietnam, after getting to know the female Barber and watching her do the cleaning on somebody else.

So far no problem, and really good results.

The difference between having your ears irrigated in the hospital and by a Vietnamese barber is that the latter is a lot more pleasurable.

I finally found a great shampoo place. Spotlessly clean. No hanky panky. No skimpily dressed stylists. Shampoo, scalp massage, facial wash. Service both men and women. Women-only staff. A lot of different options to choose from. It's called "Nha Soda Hair and Beauty Salon". A bit out of the way but worth the trip. R6 Ba Vì, Phường 15, Quận 10, Hồ Chí Minh.

This place is unique. They have a flatbed that is connected to basin with a headrest. Most places give you a tray at the end which makes its uncomfortable.

An hour shampoo costs anywhere from 120K to 198K. I normally leave a 5K tip.
Enjoy!

To each his own. I don't judge the world's oldest profession or the people who frequent prostitutes. I'm just too old to laugh at prostitute jokes. Shampoo stylists and prostitutes both deserve my respect. They provide services to people who need them. Jokes about prostitutes are tiring and trite. You think you are funny but you're just a bore.

chenwen wrote:

You think you are funny but you're just a bore.

I went up and down this thread twice and think that I found what might be one subtle allusion to prostitution.  I think you are being overly sensitive. 

There were jokes about an individual who has very little hair getting a shampoo, but I think you must have not understood.

The gentleman deleted his post.

chenwen wrote:

The gentleman deleted his post.

Which means that your comment was totally unnecessary as his post was apparently long gone by the time you posted today.

My reply was to his response. He deleted it. I don't know how to delete my post.

Try Hai
169 Ly Tu Trong
near Ben Thanh

[Post under review]