Entry visa question

Hello to the forum!

I believe I've found the correct info for my situation, Hopefully, it's correct:

"for a tourist in egypt you can get a 3 month or one month visa at the airport, if you wish to stay longer its very easy to do so, they will give an extension for 6 months and then you can extend it again. Although the stamp will say you cannot work, unless you have an employer and get a work visa."

But if anyone still has advice, I would love to hear from you.

Thanks,

j

-----original post------------
I have the opportunity to move to Cairo with my partner. He has a job contract and his work visa is all squared away. My company allows me to work from home. So, I'm unsure how an entry visa would work for my scenario and I want to ensure I'm following Egyptian laws. Anyone have info or advice for Americans living in Cairo in this situation. The information on the Egyptian Embassy states: 

"Business visa: a letter from the company indicating the purpose of the trip and financial guarantee of the company."

Would this apply to my situation- financial guarantee of the company- if  the work has nothing to with the country?

Many Thanks,

j

Hello jrich.

I checked your profile and it says you are American.

Accordingly, you can get a 30 days visa from the airport here for $15, extensible to 90 days with a simple stamp at the Dept of Immigration (Mogamma' El Tahrir).

You can also get a one year touristic residence, but it is not guaranteed to be approved. If all fails, you can fly out to Jordan or any neighboring country and come back for a fresh 90 days round.

Last but not least, if you are legally married to your opposite sex partner who has a residence visa, your partner can sponsor your residence in Egypt easily and it is guaranteed.

and, for working from home you don't need a business visa ...

Thanks for the information, greatly appreciated.

The Egyptian wrote:

Hello jrich.

I checked your profile and it says you are American.

Accordingly, you can get a 30 days visa from the airport here for $15, extensible to 90 days with a simple stamp at the Dept of Immigration (Mogamma' El Tahrir).

Not valid anymore ..... You need a prearranged visa from an Egyptian embassy/consulate ......

Read this

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=133193

Sorry ..... on behalf of my stupid government