Thinking about moving to Wellington

Hello,

We are thinking to move to NZ these coming weeks.
We are momentarily living in Bali and my partner would like to start his Phd in Wellington, and I would like to work.
So we are looking around where to live and what kind of jobs there are. But we heard that NZ got extremely expensive the last years. And that immigration is making it difficult for new comers. We are Dutch, so we need to take an English test, but I read that they made it so difficult that even 40% of the native speaking people would flunk that test?
Would like to hear your experiences and if the monthly costs are really that high.

Thanks!

Hello Tes and Martin!

Welcome to Expat.com.

Do not hesitate to browse the different threads of the forum, it may help.

I also invite you to take a look at the several articles in our participative guide.
Here is the link > https://www.expat.com/en/guide/oceania/new-zealand/.

I wish you all the best,
Harmonie.:)

I grew up in the USA and have always spoken fluent english. I too had to take the english exam in order to get a nursing license in NZ. It is a reading comprehension test for the most part. It measures how well you can read and understand english. I did well on it but only got 7 on one part of it. I attribute the lower score to the subjectivity of the answers. I felt like the correctness of the answer was a matter of opinion and not based on fact. However 7 is a high enough score to get licensure so I am ok

i stay in wellington, its a great place filled with good people
when u come here plz do inform me