Moving in June'16. minimum amount to live in Wellington?

Hello everyone.

This is Shabbir. Presently in Oman (Originally from Pakistan) and moving to New Zealand around June'16.  We're a small family with one child of four year.

My wife is the base applicant and our interview and assessment has been completed in December'15. We're awaiting the final reply. By profession, we both are engineers. I am into project management and she is into university lectureship.  She also has an offer from PHD from Massey University Palmerston North. If incase our residency is hold for some reasons, we will consider the other option, i.e. her PHD at Messey in PN.

I want to ask (In particular), related to job conditions there. I have a total 9 years of experience in Project Management / Contracts and Facilities Management (Majorly in oil and gas, however have been managing other disciplines too).

We have decided to move to Wellington if we're granted with the residency, however if not, then we will be moving to Palmerston North. Can you please guide a bit on the job search (particularly for myself). Are the recruitment agencies there helpful enough to support in getting an appropriate job. How tough/easy is all this process and what are the fields of work that are holding the maximum opportunities there. In general, what is the minimum amount per month, required to manage an average life there in Wellington.

I would highly appreciate your responses in brief.

Regards,
Shabbir.

Hallo,just a word of advice about accomodation and standard of housing/buildings in NZ. The vast majority of the houses are very poorly constructed and unless built in the last 5years or so are very cold in the winter. Our house looks good from the outside(built mid 70s) and the outside wall is built of brick on a wooden frame,but the inside is made of hardboard,all the inner walls are also hardboard, having lived here for 4 years now the glow of NZ has gone due to being 1 of the most expensive places in the world to live in and being  colder here during the winter than when living in the UK,we are definitely thinking of going back. So think twice about coming to NZ.

For cost of living www.numbeo.com

Google search for jobs and other info.