Buying property in Palau

Hi,

can a foreigner buy property in Palau?

If so, is it complicated? What is the process of purchasing a property in Palau?

Any tips for buying property, such as a check-list of items to verify ?

Thanks in advance for participating!

Christine

I've read somewhere on the internet (real reliable citation eh?) that land ownership in Palau is virtually if not literally all by the natives.  Land ownership is denoted by some kind of "beads" (the Palauan 'deed', perhaps?) which can be worth significant amounts of money and which are exchanged at times like marriage, death, etc. and these beads can be worth $$,$$$ USD.  I think where I was reading this from said a 99 year lease was about the best you could expect to do.  -mike, who is by no means an expert

Hi mmmdedek!

Thanks for your help ;)

Armand

I've picked up a few bits of information on this in looking around various places.  Apparently there are "beads" of some sort that are used kindof like deeds.  They can be worth a lot and are pretty much only passed from parent to child upon death.  I saw someone's post mention if you marry a palauan then you might gain ownership to the land if his/her parents passed land to them and then they passed on.  So I think the answer is yes it's very hard to own land.  But hopefully someone else will know more details.

-mike

Only People of Palauan ancestry can own land Palau. Land is usually passed down from familly. If you marry a Palauan that owns land, and you have kids, the land will be pass to your kids not you. If you had no kids, the land will be taken back by the familly elder/cheif, but they usually will let you stay on the property and basically own it since you are considered familly. Hope this helped.

Thank you for your input Mo'ik! ;)

Aurélie

still looking for an estate lot with gorgeous ocean view in Palau?

Hi Maskyos,

Welcome to expat-blog!

If you have accommodations proposals please feel free to advert in the Housing in Palau section, this might surely help. :)

Regards,

David.

foreigner cannot buy a land in Palau, but can lease up to 99 years