Retire to the UK, any thoughts?

My husband and I would like to retire to the UK in 3 years, from the US, any thoughts?

Our only child, a daughter lives there with our son in law and 3 grandchildren.

We have looked at VISA applications, and do not see what we would think we need, so we have contacted a immigration lawyer for assistance.

Pros and Cons?  Has anyone done this?  How has it worked out?

Have a great day!

Melissa

You need to have £1 million to invest in UK now to get retirement here. There was a previous category of retirement visas under which you just had to show a fixed monthly income - but that has been abolished now and u would need to come to UK on an investor visa now.

Thank you for your response, unfortunately we do not have that much...........we are hoping the retirement visa returns, or it is just long vacations in our final years.

Have a great night!

There is another option - but its not a retirement visa - more of an entrepreneur visa under which you have to invest £200,000 in a business and create 2 jobs for 1 year each. Now it may sound complicated but if you have the funds then you can buy any existing business like a convenience store or restaurant or something else u have experience with - it will keep u busy and buy you a residency to the UK as well. If not then try exploring other countries in Europe - most of them offer retirement visas to people who have $2000 a month income or more from investments or pension etc. Try Spain or Malta - you can still be close to UK and have a much better quality of life. UK is very expensive now, crime ridden and really not worth it to be honest... especially not for older people. I'd say stay safe in a nice part of the US.

Thank you for the infor.  Unfortunately our family is in
england, so over we will come.

Thanks!

Melissa

Well unfortunately - there is no other visa then unless you have any UK ancestry or your daughter is a citizen and can sponsor you. The only other option is you come to UK as visitors and leave every 6 months then re-enter the country - if you do that several times it will come under the spotlight and you may be stopped from re-entering the country if they feel you are living here full time.

good luck!!

Thank you!

Melissa