New NIE/Residencia format

The Spanish National Police informed that the Residencia format has been reduced, replacing the current A4 document for a standard laminate card, being the same document but with a tenfold reduction in size, much more handy now.

However, this new NIE number does not include a photo of the resident, so it must always be shown together with the passport or driving license with photo.

About time!!!
My NIE is only 2 years old but itŽs soo badly used... I always carry a photocopy folded in my passport as I donŽt want it to be damaged any worse...

Better to carry photocopies of both NIE doc and passport and keep the originals safely at home, I think.

Hi!

Thats great news! I just wish they had something like the old NIE (with photo i mean). I hate having to carry around my passport with me everywhere i go, but at least this little card will fit in my wallet!

Is there any fees involved in changing them over? I can't wait to get rid of the A4 photocopy and get me a card (knowing the spanish bureaucracy system though there's bound to be a little something in it for them)

Thanks

Just got my NIE last Friday, it's the size of a credit card. I had it laminated, fits nicely in my wallet.