Organize your move to Australia

Hi all,

we invite you to share your experience about moving to Australia.

Here is a list of questions which might help the ones preparing their move to Australia:

What would you bring and what would you leave behind?

Is it a good idea to bring furniture or domestic appliances?

Any foodstuffs that are banned in Australia?

Is it better to bring a car or to buy one once settled in Australia?

Any advice for the ones who are moving to Australia?

Thank you in advance for your participation :)

We are currently planning our move to Canberra and a blog like this would be fabulous.  I look forward to seeing the responses.

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum]

Julie wrote:

What would you bring and what would you leave behind?

Leave behind large furniture coz most Australian houses and apartments are smaller with less space to place big cabinets.

Julie wrote:

Is it a good idea to bring furniture or domestic appliances?

As above make sure the big furniture will fit in your new place  or better sell it at home. Kitchen/laundry appliances usually work if you got the right voltage - Australia is 240V but 220V will work as well. Digital TV/ Radio better leave home and buy new in Australia - it's fairly inexpensive. Same for the big home theatre.

Julie wrote:

Any foodstuffs that are banned in Australia?

In terms of import customs does not like fresh foods of any kind. Seeds, meat, beef, mushrooms, reptiles, flowers are no no. Check customs regulation before attempting to import - fines are painfully high.   

Julie wrote:

Is it better to bring a car or to buy one once settled in Australia?

Probably easier to buy a car here in OZ but cars are expensive and costly to run. It's kinda luxury toy to have. Australia is leftist driving. Get a book with traffic rules when arriving. Every newsagent/bookshop should have learner material. Traffic fines are high and the cops are sharp writing tickets.

Julie wrote:

Any advice for the ones who are moving to Australia?

Get a quality removalist to do the job. Apply for a TFN immediately and tell the bank once you got it - taxation is dear without a TFN.

Hi everyone,

I would like to add another question to the list. How long does it take to get government assistance for overseas immigrants especially for those with children?

We have applied for visa 176 for Perth and are wondering that once we get our visa should we all travel together or if my husband, the main applicant, should travel ahead of us and make arrangements for me and our two children.

Thanks in advance for your opinions and suggestions :)

This is an old thread.

Are you looking for the government to give you money to bring family over. ??
The government here is clamping down on this so it may never happen. 

Best thing to do would be to contact the immigration dept for an answer to all your questions. That way you will get first hand advice.

Thanks for your reply :)

I meant child support and all. I've read the government gives child support to permanent residents. I was just wondering how long that process takes to register.

imanniz wrote:

Thanks for your reply :)

I meant child support and all. I've read the government gives child support to permanent residents. I was just wondering how long that process takes to register.

You will not get child support when you arrive. There is an application process to go through and this will take time. Due to the number applying this could take months so I suggest you bring sufficient funds with you.

Thank you stumpy, you've been a great help :)

We do plan to bring funds, just wanted to make sure they would be sufficient until we find jobs. I guess we'll have to make sure we bring enough to last us a few months and keep our fingers crossed.

imanniz wrote:

Thank you stumpy, you've been a great help :)

We do plan to bring funds, just wanted to make sure they would be sufficient until we find jobs. I guess we'll have to make sure we bring enough to last us a few months and keep our fingers crossed.

I have heard of it taking 12 months or more now to get child support.
You will have to pay any school fees until you get citizenship 
Citizenship can take up to 5 years

Australia is the 6th highest taxed country in the world.

Perth is officially the most expensive city in Australia for everything from a cup of coffee to house rentals. 
Fuel, cars, food, transport are high here in Australia
For cost of living www.numbeo.com   

Some big companies are now downsizing and others have announced that they will be shutting down in the next few years. Unemployment is 6% and rising.

Sorry for being so negative . I am not trying to put you off but you should be aware of things before you make the move

Thanks for the awareness stumpy :)

But now I'm just wondering about all the advertisement and hype we heard and read about Australia wanting skilled immigrants which led to our decision to apply for immigration. We got the impression that getting state sponsorship would mean we wont have to worry about finding jobs and settling in from scratch in a new home away from home. But from your updates am I to understand that its overhyped. I'm sorry for the bluntness but I hope you understand my concern. It is a big decision  :/

Hi Imanniz,
I would like to say something about the state sponsorship, on the state sponsorship you can work but must have to spend 2 years of time period in the assigned state and after that you will be eligible for the PR. During these 2 years period of time “state sponsorship” you will not be able to avail any kind of govt. provided facility and you have to rely on your own sources. This is fact because one of my friends had moved to Adelaide SA on state sponsorship and he is suffering by these things, he took his family for the entry purpose and kept them there along with him only 3 months because he couldn't survive with the medical treatment for the kids which he said is very costly and out of reach for the new comers.
I'm PR holder and I was there in 2012 for some time but now planning to migrate permanently over there but really it is hard to make decision for the final move due the job scope in the Australian market now days.
Similar to stumpy's reply and my own experience and research; really I'm confused for the move. Here on my present job I'm very much comfort and also having good earnings.
The thing which is pushing me to take step is my babies' education which is not good here and as you know if education is not good there is less chance of success in the competitive life.
As you said for the PR, “I've read the government gives child support to permanent residents.”
In my PR letter, from DIAC have mentioned many things which I can get after my move. I don't know exactly what the reality is but it has mentioned in my PR letter that govt. will support me for the child's schooling as well as some kind of allowances. Some of them I'm mentioning here for the reference,

Social security payments:
If you have children, you may be eligible for government-funded Family Assistance payments to help with the cost of raising them.

Medical Care:
The Australian Government provides help with medical expenses through a scheme called Medicare. The government also subsidizes the cost of most medicine under the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme.
You may be eligible to join Medicare and gain immediate access to health care services and programs. These include free public hospital care; help with the cost of out-of-hospital care, and subsidized medicines. Emergency treatment is available on a 24 hour basis at the 'Casualty' or 'Emergency' departments of public hospitals.

Migrant Resource Centers and Migrant Service Agencies:
The local Migrant Resource Centre provides various courses, including conversation classes, to assist new settlers. Free childcare facilities may be provided for parents doing these courses.
These are the few main points but many more are written there.

Regards,
Umair Saeed

Hi Umair,

Your post is very helpful, thank you. You seem to be from Pakistan too so you will be in a better position to understand our situation.

Our visa is 176 which is already a PR visa from what I understand. We have to spend the 2 years in Perth but we are already PR. So we should be legible for government assistance (even if we have to wait a few months to start receiving it). Our reason for moving is mainly financial. My husband's job pays him peanuts in spite of his experience and qualification and that just meets our basic needs. That too because we live with his parents and expense is shared. I work too but part time as my kids are still young. So our main concern right now is the job market there for Graphic designers and IT Auditors. Do you have any insight regarding jobs available in these professions?

Umair

In reply to some of the points you raised in your post. 

Schooling.
You will have to pay around $4000 per child per year for education at a public school. The Govt bought this in recently. There may well be subsidies to offset a small part of these costs.

Social Security payments.
There is a waiting period before you can apply for them. It is usually 6 months or more.

Medicare.
You will not get access to this immediately.Again a waiting period. You have to have your own private medical insurance. Australian citizens have to now take out their own private health cover, if you do not have one you are taxed at a higher rate. The Govt here is now looking at charging medicare members for doctors fees as the cost or running medicare is very high and costing the govt money. This has just come up in the last week.
The new govt here is on a major cost cutting exercise and the average worker will be the one to pay.

Migrant Resource Centres.
Again the Govt is looking to cut funding to these to save money.

Again, I am not being negative or trying to put you off, just making you aware of the facts so you can make an informed decision.

Best you contact the relevant Govt departments for up to date information.