Hello Hungary!!!!

Hello everyone! I am a new member who just signed up and will be moving to Budapest at tend of November.  I'm interested in many things most notably how all of you have made lives there, found work, continued to learn an extremely difficult language, made friends, etc etc etc.  Any help any of you could provide would be much appreciated.  I look forward to speaking with you all. Koszi

Hi mfgorma1!

Welcome to Expat.com ;)

Armand

Hi,
Welcome to Budapest!
Please watch Hungarian TV to learn the language, along with the books. It helps alot.

Hello!  The language thing for me is still a work in progress....and I am really trying!  I can get by though ordering etc but anything mildly complicated I am a total loss.  But regardless of that the city of Budapest is very easy to navigate and the people are friendly.  I don't work, so that isn't a question for me but I have heard that it is difficult to find work here and you do have to have a work permit.  I have met other Americans and mostly they either teach english or work on line.  I have yet to meet an American who works for a company here.  I am told by many people that Hungary is still about who you know when it comes to getting a job. Having said that, I hear it is pretty easy to find students to teach English to, jsut the pay isn't very high but the cost of living here isn't either.  But as far as living here I think it is great and the city is romantic -- perfect for you and your girlfriend :)  I have been here for some months now and I really like it!  Hope to meet you and your girl at one of our meet ups when you get here :)

masterboy123 wrote:

Hi,
Welcome to Budapest!
Please watch Hungarian TV to learn the language, along with the books. It helps alot.

The Hungarians are pretty bad on foreign languages. A good start would be for the Hungarians should use subtitles on their TV and stop dubbing the sound to improve their position and relations with the world. Other countries like The Netherlands, Sweden etc., do not dub their TV and they are really good in languages.

I'm often in the neighbouring countries and the language capabilities of people in places like Serbia and Croatia are light years ahead of Hungary.

It's very easy to find someone speaking extremely good English in these places - even in McDonalds, petrol stations, taxi drivers etc.