How do you post a picture?

I am trying to start a new topic and post a picture that I uploaded to a free image site. When I click the picture icon, it asks for URL. I enter URL and then I see a broken picture icon, which I assume means that system can't post the picture. And I don't see any preview option before posting (didn't there used to be one?) so I can't check whether my picture is going to be visible or not. I would post it anyway but I'm not sure I can delete it if the image fails to appear.

When I search forum for help on this issue, I find a lot of irrelevant posts with no solution. I hope someone can enlighten me.

I am trying to start a new topic and post a picture that I uploaded to a free image site. When I click the picture icon, it asks for URL. I enter URL and then I see a broken picture icon, which I assume means that system can't post the picture. And I don't see any preview option before posting (didn't there used to be one?) so I can't check whether my picture is going to be visible or not. I would post it anyway but I'm not sure I can delete it if the image fails to appear. When I search forum for help on this issue, I find a lot of irrelevant posts with no solution. I hope someone can enlighten me.        -@ChoculaD

you almost certainly are not posting the URL to the image, but rather you are posting a page within the website where you can view the image.

You must click on the image until you are able to open the image itself in a new tab.

In Chrome in Android you simply hold down the image with your finger until you see the pop-up that gives you the option to open the image in a new tab.

once the image is opened in the new tab by itself, you then copy that URL and it should work

Thanks OB. First of all, I'm not using my phone, I'm using Windows computer. I did as you said, went to file hosting site (Bashify.io)  and opened the image in a new tab. This gave me a different URL and I entered that URL in the picture icon field on the forum, and still no luck. I got another broken link icon. Maybe the problem is Bashify?

Okay, I tried freeimage.host and it worked. Thanks OB for the help.

The only thing I really know for certain is that I never ever have a problem with any images I upload to a free WordPress account.

Cheers!