Renewing Digital Nomad Visa + Obtaining Cartao RNE

Hi,

I'm applied to renew my Digital Nomad Visa and I've been waiting (i.e. EM TRAMITE) since March 6th. My residency / RNE expired on April 6th and every 30 days I have to download some certidao de processo em andamento to say I'm still a legal temporary resident, which is quite annoying. My questions:

• How long is it taking to process these renewals?
  • What if I leave the country to go to Europe as planned, leave all my belongings in my apartment here, and then they decide to reject my renewal while I'm overseas?
  • I lost my original cartao de RNE in October and have been waiting since October to get it replaced. This is crazy and no one can give me any information other than they are in contract negotiations with the vendor who supplies the RNE cards and no one has received one since October last year. Does anyone have any info on when I can expect to get my cartao de RNE?

Any help appreciated as this is extremely frustrating. Thanks.

Bump

Hi @fowzee

• It was already taking around 2 months last year, and I think it is even longer as posted by others in the forum
  • If you decide to go, and your application is rejected, you can always come back as a tourist as the time spent as a resident does not count against a tourist stay. But this is open to interpretation by airline/border officials and could be risky.
  • Check out this thread: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1062735 for the last question.

I would normally postpone travel just for my own peace in such a situation, but of course you always renew that 30 days certificates and make your trip. And I guess I am being overly cautious, Brazilian officials should be aware of all the delays and I would expect them to be more understanding.

Just keep in mind that when your application is accepted, you will have to go to the federal police in person in 30 days to complete the process.

thanks for the response - one other question - I applied to have it renewed for 2 years instead of 1 - have you heard of 2 year renewals ever being granted? Given the length of time this process takes, its practically time to renew again if you only do it for one year (and the fewer times I have to deal with this, the better).

@fowzee

I believe the Digital Nomad visa is granted initially for one year, and then can only be extended for one further year. But please let us know if you have success with a 2 year extension.