Public transportation in Guyana

Hi all,

What do you think about the means of transportation in Guyana ?

Is the network of means of transportation well developed? What modes of transport are available?

Do you use them?

How much is a fare?

Are they relatively safe?

What is the mean of transportation you use the most in Guyana?

Thanks in advance for participating!

My friend, the only way to sum up public transport in Guyana in one word...Crazy!

Not sure where you are from but I reside in London England and we have buses and trains serving the city on a regular basis, it is expensive to use public transport in London but it is efficient.

In Guyana it is even more efficient as there are several 'buses' going to all the major locations, however the aren't buses like buses in England, they are minibuses.  They are very cheap, but don't get a shock when you get on the bus because ALL of the ALL of them play music VERY loud, and it is not going to be a very comfortable journey either because the Guyanese like to cram as much people as possible into such a small space.  Very few are air conditioned and the drivers do not know the meanings 'speed limit', 'safe', or 'slow'!  You may end up sitting on a lap of a poor elderly lady that you do not know!

Be careful as well when choosing your bus as you need to make sure you are on the right one, it is difficult to get off once you have climbed aboard.  And if you are with people, make sure you stick together as the bus drivers and 'conductors' like to hustle people on to their own bus even if they know they are taking you to the wrong place.  It is all profit for them in the end.

But besides all this journeying through Guyana on public transport system can be a lot of fun (just take lot of caution man).  I was last in Guyana a few years back and knowing Guyana I doubt it has changed or improved!

Stay safe travelling my friend!!

Little update: the part of the loud music is wrong now, the part of the driving isn't! They drive crazy man!