What is a NIE ?

I have seen reference to an NIE for spain. what is this?

The NIE (Número de Identidad de Extranjero) is your unique tax/fiscal number. Some get confused with the TIE (Tarjeta de Identidad de Extranjero) which is the biometric residence permit for non-EU residents of Spain (and which has your NIE on it).

You can have a NIE independent of having any kind of visa/residence. Typically, a non-resident might want one because they want to buy a property (perhaps as a holiday home). If you ONLY want a NIE, then you can typically apply for it at your local Spanish embassy/consulate.

If, as a non-EU citizen, you want to move/live in Spain, you will need some kind of residence visa. You might, perhaps, want to move to work (as an employee), or be self-employed, or study. A very popular option for retirees and those with passive income/savings is the No Lucrativa Visa, which allows you to live in Spain, but not work. Spain also has a recently introduced Digital Nomad Visa for remote workers and digital nomads.

Without such a visa, you will be limited to the visa-free allowance of your NZ passport (up to 90 days in 180, I would guess).

@raeleneclarke

spanish ID

@raeleneclarkeIts the Spanish version of a social security number which every resident must have.  You do not have to be a citizen.  If you live in Spain for more than so many days…i think its 90 days.  but check that to be sure.

A NIE number is a must for all financial matters, not to be mixed up with sociazl security issues.

I'd elaborate by saying that the NIE is a tax/financial ID number- if you need to pay any bills, set up accounts, buy or rent a house, you have to have one.

Yes, correct, you will need the NIE for any and all transactions, registrations,  etc.

lmf

Yes. At the Post Office,  when picking up a parcel, the Chemist, the Health Clinic etc etc. 

Here in Spain, you can't  get out of bed without your NIE. A bit of an exaggeration, but you need to think like this when living in Spain. It serves as your identity ID and you must carry it on you at ALL times.

@rogerroberts22

Very true!  need it for everything if you plan on staying more than 180 in Spain

Just discovered this website! Thanks everyone for the insight and advice.

A quick question - should I get the NIE before I get to Spain or is it fairly simple to get in-country? I am a dual passport holder - USA/Ireland am am hoping my EU citizenship makes things a bit easier.

Thanks!

@LampoMax

"A bit"? Everything is MUCH easier with an EU passport as this entitles you to "Freedom of Movement". :-)

You therefore can go to Spain without any kind of visa being required, and once there you should apply for your Certificate of EU Citizen Registration (= Certificado de Registro de Ciudadano de la Unión Europea).

The info is here, and there's an online system for booking a Cita Previa.

https://sede.policia.gob.es/portalCiuda … anoue.php#

https://sede.administracionespublicas.g … io/icpplus

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe they will issue you a NIE when you do this.

Typically, you'll need proof of your address in Spain (deed or LT rental contract), proof of health insurance, proof of funds. But it's pretty straightforward, so not much to worry about.

Just a note, you can't buy a property without a NIE. So if you're happy to rent first, then do the above. Otherwise, if you want to buy first, and then use the deed for your registration, you'll need to figure out how to get the NIE only.

We got ours while we were in Spain looking for houses and it was very simple- just a quick visit to the notary and we paid a gestor to actually get the NIEs for us.