Process for buying a car in Romania

Hello all,

Once I decide the car I want to buy from a dealer or private individual, what is the process of registering it to myself etc?

thanks.

Please search the forum, it's been discussed at length and questions answered already.

Romaniac

I have searched and read a few threads, I can't see anything that relates to my situation, so perhaps I should have elaborated and given more information first.

I am from the UK, I have a place I rent in Romania (I do not live there right now, but may do in the future), so I have no official residence status (not temporary or permanent), I have an NIF from ANAF, but that's it.

Can I purchase a car and register it to me, and the address I have in Romania, or do I need some further documents first, like residency?

Thanks in advance for any information.

You must be a legal resident to register/insure a car in Romania

Can I register it in another legal resident's name and make use of it? can I be insured to drive it?

Can I register it in another legal resident's name and make use of it? can I be insured to drive it?

-@ANomadMan

Why don't you just establish legal residency and do all of this straightforwardly? 

To answer your question though, only the legal owner can register and insure the vehicle. 

@ANomadMan do you have a friend or coleague that would be willing to give their cnp? i had the same problem when we first moved here.  i could not even pay for the car nor register it in my own name until i got my cnp. The rules here are very strickt to prefend fraud. in other words, you cant. unless you want to take the risk of registering it in your friend's name and giving him/her your money to buy it  For being Europe and being European myself i was baffled 

@ANomadMan do you have a friend or coleague that would be willing to give their cnp? i had the same problem when we first moved here.  i could not even pay for the car nor register it in my own name until i got my cnp. The rules here are very strickt to prefend fraud. in other words, you cant. unless you want to take the risk of registering it in your friend's name and giving him/her your money to buy it  For being Europe and being European myself i was baffled 

-@Alexander Picavet

It's not a matter of fraud, but of civil and criminal liability and insurance company requirements.

@romaniac same thing