RNE due to expire in October - Citizenship still possible?

Hi all,

I have a permanent visa based on marriage which has since ended and divorce finalised a few years ago.  I still visit Brazil a few times a year with my overall goal naturalising (I have my reasons).

When I was married, I did attempt to to naturalise, however this was at a time when there was a transition of government and new rules were implemented mandating Portuguese test. I was not successful because of this.  I do intend on sitting the CELPE-Bras at the next sitting this year.

My RNE expires in October, so I was wondering if anyone would know the answers to the below;

1. Will I be able to renew/extend my current RNE despite now being divorced.  What will I need to do if this is possible?
  2. Is it still possible to apply for citizenship in my current position?
  3. How would one go about contracting a good immigration lawyer in Rio? Is there some sort of trust pilot service? I'm told the best way is to find a lawyer via word of mouth recommendation.

Thank you very much for any help!

I have a very good lawyer in Rio (Niteroi, actually).  I used him to purchase property there, assist with Brazil income tax, appointment with Federal Police for my permanent resident card, and several other things.  He was recommended by a friend of mine (American) who has lived in Rio for 20+years.  Let me know if you want his contact info.

01/02/24 @AfroPrince.  Hi!  Responding to your questions:

1 . Will I be able to renew/extend my current RNE despite now being divorced.  What will I need to do if this is possible?

Very doubtful.  See the eighth requirement for renewal, in the second box on this scree:

https://www.gov.br/pf/pt-br/assuntos/im … o-familiar

That means a joint declaration by you and your spouse that the relationship under which your residency was granted still exists.  You definitely need to consult a lawyer to determine whether there's any way around this.

2 . Is it still possible to apply for citizenship in my current position?

That depends on how long you had lived continuously in Brazil before your departure, and how long you've been away.  To be naturalized with your current status, you would have had to lived in Brazil for one continuous year prior to your departure.  If that's the case and you haven't been out of Brazil too long, the Polícia Federal may agree that you still qualify.  Otherwise, probably not.

3 . How would one go about contracting a good immigration lawyer in Rio? Is there some sort of trust pilot service? I'm told the best way is to find a lawyer via word of mouth recommendation.

See @Madrac's post above.  It certainly wouldn't hurt to have a conversation with his lawyer.

If you're ready to sit for the CelpeBras, you should go ahead and do it.  As you're probably aware, there are testing locations around the world, so you don't have to be in Brazil to take it, and the credential doesn't expire once you have it.  Best of luck.

If you are 62 years old or older you may not have to take the Portuguese test. That is what an immigration told me, so I am waiting two more years before applying for naturalization.

Yeah, as for the rest, get a good lawyer!

01/02/23    If you are 62 years old or older you may not have to take the Portuguese test. That is what an immigration told me, so I am waiting two more years before applying for naturalization.Yeah, as for the rest, get a good lawyer!        -@Brazil Bill

I was 68 when I was naturalized in 2019, and I had to pass the CelpeBras for my application to be accepted.  I'm not aware of the rules being changed; it will be interesting to see how that turns out. 

Thanks very much all for the help.

@madrac, thank you - yes that would be very good actually, I am near Marica so would be good to contact them for some questions.

@abthree, thank you very much - would you know of the starting point for a guide of initiating the naturalisation process? I have a feeling that things may have changed drastically since my last attempt. I know the CELPE-Bras is held twice per year and my plan is to have this in hand before applying again (after discussions with legal).

-@Brazil Bill - thank you, I am a good few years away from 62.

I was 68 when I was naturalized in 2019, and I had to pass the CelpeBras for my application to be accepted.  I'm not aware of the rules being changed; it will be interesting to see how that turns out.      -@abthree

That's why I said "may be" as I was only told that (in 2021) when they reinstated my permanent resident status, and my wife, a Brazilian, understood the same but as I don't have anything in writing I am mentioning it as only a possible "fact" that I personally hope will still be true in two years. 🤗

As always things in Brazil change, usually for the worse but I am always grateful for the benefits we can still get. 😃

01/03/24 @abthree, thank you very much - would you know of the starting point for a guide of initiating the naturalisation process? I have a feeling that things may have changed drastically since my last attempt. I know the CELPE-Bras is held twice per year and my plan is to have this in hand before applying again (after discussions with legal).       -@AfroPrince

Nowadays, it starts online through the Naturalizar-Se system, here:

https://www.gov.br/pt-br/servicos/solic … uralizacao

There's more information here:

https://www.gov.br/mj/pt-br/assuntos/se … ralizar-se