Confusion about property taxes

Hi all,

We're new here!

We are currently in Abruzzo for three months looking to buy a small property (this is our first house purchase, so starting small!).

We have seen a house for 12000 euros that we really love, but we are a bit confused by the fees. The estate agent has said we are looking at 4000 euros for notary fees, taxes and stamp duty, but that would be based on us buying the house as a residence house at 2% tax, whereas we would likely have to buy it as a holiday home at 9% tax because we are unlikely to be able to apply for residency in the first 18 months of purchase, so she predicts it will be much more.

There is also the estate agency fees to pay on top, which is another 4k (which we appreciate is fairly standard), translator fees, lawyer fees and € 500 for the POA and € 600 the registration of the preliminary agreement.

She hasn't given a breakdown of the 4000 total for tax/stamp duty/notary fees and we are trying to work out how the tax has been calculated, because the fees seem quite high for a small and low priced house. We understand that the tax is based on the cadastral value, but we don't know what that would be or how to work it out.

All the guides we have checked state to put aside 15%-20% of the house value for fees and taxes, so this seems very high, but perhaps we are being naive?

Any thoughts? Does this seem roughly correct or a bit on the high side?

Thank you so much,

Jessica

@Jessica Duffin is your property 12k€ or 120k€? Those fees seem too high for a 12k€ home. cheers

There are minima for taxes - so the absolute minimum you can pay is 1100 euros plus 50 + 50.   

2000 - 2500 is now normalish for a notary for a smaller house.

Do you have the rateable value for the property? 

What is appalling is the agency.  4000 euros is not normal.    Its double what most agents would charge, but it seems that there's a bit of a cartel in Abruzzo/Molise.

@ciprianomanca 12k! It's just a very small house in a quiet mountain town. I thought they were high too.

@Modicasa that's really helpful, thank you so much!

We don't have the rateable value of the property no - do you know how I could perhaps find it? The estate agent is quite short answering my questions, and leaves out a lot of detail! It's hard to get clear answers from her.

We've been quoted around 3000 for other agencies, and were told that it's standard for Abruzzo, but perhaps we could maybe get them to drop the agency fee a little? One estate agent has previously offered  to discount the agency fee on a similarly priced house. I'm not sure what the protocol here is in Italy and whether asking would be offensive and cause problems.

Thank you for your help. I appreciate you may not have the answers to these questions and I don't want to take up too much of your time!

Tell your agent you want to see the visure for the house.  Its a public document and she has no reason not to send you it. That will have the rateable value on it.   Did the agent tell you how much you would have to pay them before you committed to the sale?  Do you have it in writing? Is she a legal agent who is invoicing you and appearing in the act of sale? 

@ciprianomanca

agreed

4k€ on a 12k€ property would be a 33% agent fee which is just ridiculous.based on the link below, fees might vary but should be in the range of 2-3% of the purchasing price. https://www.dove.it/guida/amp/quanto-co … 36zd88zz4u

Tell your agent you want to see the visure for the house.  Its a public document and she has no reason not to send you it. That will have the rateable value on it.   Did the agent tell you how much you would have to pay them before you committed to the sale?  Do you have it in writing? Is she a legal agent who is invoicing you and appearing in the act of sale? 

-@Modicasa

Our agent didn't give it to us in writing either (other than estimated fees via email, mentioning that they are "subject to change") and has not mentioned any numbers it in the draft of a purchase offer/preliminary contract. Is it legal on their part? If yes, what do I have to pay them in this scenario?

The agent should be able to tell you exactly how much the taxes/imposte are on the sale as well as their fee.  The notary fee is decided by the notary, so they can usually only give you a ball park figure for that.

The agency should have their percentage and minimum charge written somewhere - even on the website. 

Some agents like Engels and Volkers charge 4% plus IVA, and others are now following suit.  However a percentage commission on a small sale isnt practical, which is why most agents have a minimum commission rate.

The law says that the agent must be named in the documents.  If they arent, according to the law they don't exist.  So your preliminary should say that there is an agent, who it is, number REA and at the minimum - 'that they have the right to commission according to the law'.   

Thank very much,

I have a Real estate company name, REA number. They are selling us a 1/2 of a residential house, which belongs to some company, or is registered to the company. No fees are mentioned in the paper, other than a price of the house and a deposit  which is due at the submitting the Proposta di Acquita. They asked for a deposit to be transferred directly to the seller.

One detail I can see (might help us?) is that "present contract is conditioned to the check of the documentation pertaining to the real estate units in object by both parties, for the duration of two month. In case of positive outcome, the present contract will be considered as perfected and the parties will move forward with the notarial deed as agreed".

As the contract was signed the past summer, and we never formally signed that we agreed with the outcome of the inspection report (which came with significant discrepancies from the city documents) does it mean that we actually are not really obliged to move forward with the purchase?

The agency emails every second day that we have to pay their/agency fees "NOW" and we have to sign some essential documents (without disclosing which ones) and commit to closing day in order to avoid being in legal trouble. (without disclosing which one, assuming being sued?)

Thank you.

@Modicasa we haven't put in an offer yet! We were asking how much all the fees would be and that is what we were quoted. I asked for the visure and they refused and said we only need to see that once we have made an offer. I don't think we'll be going with this house now, as there is another we are considering and this agent has been so tricky I feel unsure about going with them!

Thank you for all your help. :)

@ciprianomanca yes this is all the same kind of rates I have been seeing too, but apparently, they set a minimum on the smaller properties otherwise they're not worth their time. I don't know, seems incredibly high to me, but they are insisting. Luckily we have seen another house we are strongly considering, so perhaps won't have to go with these agents!