Spanish American War (diary)

Are there any history buffs on here?   Is it appropriate to share some of the family history I have with the islands?

Here are some excerpts from my great grandfathers diary from around this time in 1898.  This was typed up by my Grandfather in 1932 and scanned with OCR by me in 2009

Nov. 18 - Very warm all day. Had our parade tonight, the boys did very fine and were complimented by General Ovenshine.

Nov. 19, 1898 - Saturday - It is reported today that some of the troops are to leave for home when the transports arrive and that some regiments will be sent to the provinces. Nothing official can be learned at Headquarters.

Nov. 20 - This is a great 'Fiesta', the natives have been preparing for this for days and today the streets are alive with people all dressed in their Sunday best. It is called the Feast of Our Lady of Remedies and seems to be one of the important holidays of the year. Bands are playing and the churches are crowded with people. The children are dressed up like dolls and all are happy as though they were going to a circus.

Nov. 21 - Rumors of movements of troops are current. Two more deaths in our regiment - Frank M. Harden of Co. "Bill and Ole T. Lakken of Co. "K" both died late this evening at Division Hospital. The last named was almost recovered from fever and it is thought

he died from heart failure which is often the case after a run of fever. I understand that an autopsy is to be held in the last case. Poor fellows they have done their duty.

Nov. 22 - Two transports arrived this A. M. the Senator and the Valencia, both with troops on board. Got some mail this noon.

Nov. 23 - A pleasant day, not very warm, everybody is expectant for tomorrow - Thanksgiving Day.

Nov. 24 - Holiday today. Everybody had a good dinner and the men are feeling excellent. We had a fine turkey and chicken at our mess. In the evening Lieut. Berg, Proctor, Gearey and I took dinner at the Paris Restaurant and agreed to meet with our wives at Grand Forks next Thanksgiving Day. Proctor and Berg both being single were ordered to get married within six months after we are mustered out. After dinner we took in the performances of the Filipino Theatre and enjoyed a very pleasant evening.

Nov. 25 - Mail leaves for home today. Sent several packages and hope they will reach home safely.

Nov. 26 - Nothing special today. Raining pretty much all day.

Nov. 27 - Fine day but very warm. Had a call from John Lees, a young fellow who used to live in Le Sueur (Minn.) and now living in South Dakota, a nephew of Mt. Gebbie who runs Fattens elevator at Le Sueur. He is a Corporal in Co. "G" 1st. South Dakota. Has been sick for some time in the Hospital and not yet fully recovered.

Nov. 28 - Regiment was inspected by Capt. W. E. Birkhimer, 3rd. Art., U. S. Inspector General. I was serving as President of a Court Martial and could not be at the Inspection. The regiment marched to the Lunetta and formed at 9 A. M. in the midst of a drenching rain, everybody was wet to the skin and I hope no one mill get sick from the exposure. It is our first thorough inspection since we are in the service and the Inspector is looking into all the little details. He does not say much but game us some good compliments at Headquarters for the way our records and papers are kept. Adj't. Proctor feels good and set up the cigars. He inspected the company quarters, kitchens, canteen, sinks, quartermaster and commissary departments, books and papers and in fact there was nothing that escaped his eagle eye. He complimented Co. "B" as having the best barracks that he had inspected during his tour, excepting as he said, probably two troops of the 4th U. S. Cavalry. Co. "B" is quartered in a large residence and have better means of keeping their quarters in shape than those quartered in the Nepo huts.

We are all pleased at the compliment to Lieut. Gearey, who is an efficient and painstaking officer. Co's "H" and "K" are on outpost duty and will be inspected tomorrow. I presume he will find flaws somewhere to roast us on and we are anxious to see the official report in order that we may profit by this experience for we have gained some valuable pointers from this inspection.

Look forward to learning about his unit.  What was his outfit?  Did he get out before the 1899 insurection?

I believe this was his last diary entry, at least of the ones my grandad typed up:

Aug. 28, 1899 - Monday - Cold today and windy but weather is clear. The wind is head on and is cutting down our daily mileage. Today's run was 275 miles. Too bad, this will not get us into Frisco till late tomorrow evening so will hardly get off the ship till Wednesday. Saw another sailing vessel this morning about 10 A. M., not near enough to make her out.

Aug. 29, 1899 - Tuesday - All looking for land since noon today. Very rough and windy and a number are seasick. Passed a number of vessels. Land sighted at 5:30. Took Pilot on at 8:15. He brought Frisco papers of this morning. See that quite a dele­gation is here to meet us. * * * Soon we saw the lights of the city and at 10:20 we dropped anchor.

Don't suppose I will sleep much tonight. No doubt our arrival was signaled to the city from Reyes Point.

The insurrection started 2/4/99, so he got out after the start of the war.  Too bad there are no other entries concerning February through August.

Im English but thanks for giving me a very interesting insight and I will do some study on this war. Fascinating!!

Im English but thanks for giving me a very interesting insight and I will do some study on this war. Fascinating!!

-@Filamretire

A lot of similarities to the Vietnam war.  In 1900 the Filipinos tried to cause a lot of trouble and casualties to influence the US presidential election, they preferred William Jennings Bryan rather than Bill McKinley.   It was a military failure and McKinley was re-elected.   In 1968 the Noth Vietnamese and Vietcong Tet offensive was also a military failure, but by the end of March Lyndon Johnson announced that he was too preoccupied to run for re-election. 

@mugteck

I have nearly 50 pages of diary starting that date  It's Feb4, 1899 and You Are There!

Feb. 4, 1899 - Rumors of an attack come from many sources. All quiet during the day but Insurgents getting very insolent. Near Passai on beach.

The match was finally touched to the powder. We were alarmed on Saturday night, the 4th, a little after 7 P.M. The first alarm proved false. About 8 P. M. firing was heard at the outposts and the regiment went into the trenches. Fighting contin­ued around the city all night but did not reach our front till 7:30 on the 5th. Our boys did good work and were cool and steady. 14th. Infantry met with heavy loss in taking Blockhouse No. 14, among them Lieut. Mitchell, a fine officer. Two guns of 6th. Art. at Fort under Lieut. Fleming did excellent work as did the Monadnock and Charleston lying opposite our right flank.

At shortly after 10 A. M. Maj. White with three companies - "G", "H" arid "D" made a brilliant and daring charge routing the enemy out of his position in and about the cemetery. We did not lost a man, one man of Co. "D" slightly wounded in leg, many narrow escapes. About 3 P.M. a general advance was ordered and little resistance met with - the Insurgents being in full retreat. Troops were assembled at Passai to beach by 2nd. Bat., the 1st. Bat. on other side of Passai in direction of Culienti and San Pedro Macati. In afternoon Feb. 6th. Maj. Fraine with two companies (I & K) reconnoitered the country toward Paranaqua which they found strongly entrenched and held by a larger force of Insur­gents. Friday the 10th, Lieut. Malay of the 14th. went on a similar expedition with only 40 men. He had an engagement with the Insurgents and had two men wounded. Our regiment had been sent back to the city the day before but were ordered out as soon as the engagement was reported. The Cavalry came to the relief of Malay, otherwise his company might have been cut off. Two of Major Fraine's companies remained all night on a line about one mile in advance of our position and were withdrawn at day­break. Next day Major White's battalion was ordered to his old position on the road toward San Pedro Macati. Co's "C" and "H" at the city have had to do the guard duty at quarters, the Fort and Cingalon have had hard work. The men are cheerful and stand the fatigue well. weather has been very hot and dry with cool nights and

heavy fall of dew.

Attack has been expected every night and Insurgents are reported massing in our front but everything remains quiet, occasionally a few shots fired at the outposts. There is a lot of shooting along the California front. One Bt. of 51st. Iowa has been brought from Cavite as reserve and it held at Passel. Our entire line is en­trenched and can be held against almost any force of the enemy. Bright moonlight every night.

-- He must have been too busy for diarying from Feb 4 to Feb 20--

Feb. 20, 1899 - Major Fraine's battalion moved today to the right of Major White, changing places with the 4th Cav., who now hold the line from Passai to the beach. All quiet but some disorder in the city.

@mugteck

Two entries from my GGpas diary stuck with me in memory but I have not been able to find them again in the documents.

In one, he said that he hoped  that the US would learn to stay out of foreign wars after this experience.

In another, he mentioned that natives are very poor, but if you wanted to find the wealth, just look in the churches.

@mugteck
Two entries from my GGpas diary stuck with me in memory but I have not been able to find them again in the documents.

In one, he said that he hoped  that the US would learn to stay out of foreign wars after this experience.

In another, he mentioned that natives are very poor, but if you wanted to find the wealth, just look in the churches.

-@MinnGuy

Those are two politically charged statements that seem to conveniently support US modern day secular progressive opinion. Now this "may" have really been said in 1899 and I actually would believe it if you could produce the document but surprise,  you cannot.

I'll post a few days diary at a time chronologically.

If this is inappropriate for me to post here, I'll stop.   Just let me know.

===============================

Nov. 29, 1898 - Tuesday - Busy with court work again today, the Judge Advocate in­formed us that we had to dispose of over 20 cases so we expect to be busy for several weeks. The "Zealandia" came into port this morning with troops and supplies and also Mail, but only a small batch for our regiment - I was not one of the lucky ones.

Nov. 30 to Dec. 7 - Nothing of special note. Newport and Pennsylvania arrived with troops and mail, got several letters from home.   Expected the Christmas boxes also, have not yet been unleaded.

Dec. 8 to 13th. - Usual routine of daily duty. Have been busy with Court Martial every day - getting very tiresome.  Rumors that the Insurgents will make an attack about the 15th. Our outposts are being strengthened. Companies of the 1st. Washington Regiment are stationed at Cingalon road and posts are doubled. Word received that the Astor Battery goes home on Thursday. They turned their guns in at the Arsenal.

Dec. 14 - Another fire. Word also received that the 13th. Minnesota will be mustered out in 60 days. so it begins to look as if some of us would soon be sent  home.   Had dinner last night with the family of Simon Schuerr at No. 8 San Miguel - spent a pleasant evening and was asked to make myself at home and came often - shall take advantage of the invitation.

Dec. 15th to 20th. Usual routine of work. Busy on Court Martial every day. Scatter­ing Christmas boxes have arrived. I got mine from home, was as tickled as a little boy.   Will save my cake and jelly till Sunday - Christmas.

@mugteckTwo entries from my GGpas diary stuck with me in memory but I have not been able to find them again in the documents.In one, he said that he hoped  that the US would learn to stay out of foreign wars after this experience.In another, he mentioned that natives are very poor, but if you wanted to find the wealth, just look in the churches.        -@MinnGuy

Those are two politically charged statements that seem to conveniently support US modern day secular progressive opinion. Now this "may" have really been said in 1899 and I actually would believe it if you could produce the document but surprise,  you cannot.

-@danfinn

There were members of the US military who told stories of atrocities towards the Filipinos.   If they did not retract their statements they were court marshalled and sent home in disgrace.

@mugteckTwo entries from my GGpas diary stuck with me in memory but I have not been able to find them again in the documents.In one, he said that he hoped  that the US would learn to stay out of foreign wars after this experience.In another, he mentioned that natives are very poor, but if you wanted to find the wealth, just look in the churches.        -@MinnGuy

-@danfinn           There were members of the US military who told stories of atrocities towards the Filipinos.   If they did not retract their statements they were court marshalled and sent home in disgrace.        -@mugteck

Sure, you can say that but better if you have cooroborating evidence that it is true. And, if you somehow produce evidence that the military suppressed speech...on active duty personnel... it then comes to mind we are talking about 1899 which had a totally different set of mores. I wouldn't be surprised if most people in that time frame thought this was normal. Many still supported slavery. Americans here would not allow Filipinas to marry other Americans or become members of country clubs and the like. The Spanish would not allow Filipinos I to become priests because they would have been thought to be too promiscuous. There are always problems when applying modern 21st century norms to 19th century behavior as the 19th century is condemned to lose every time. There are no profound lessons learned; that's just the way it was and you're not going to change what things were then.

As Casey Stengle used to say, "You can look it up."

As Casey Stengle used to say, "You can look it up."

-@mugteck

I don't remember the days of Casey Stengel but I do tend verify information, on my own, on topics that I find interesting. But if the US military was  overly strict in its treatment of our troops in1899, I call that "boring', perhaps "expected" ... not worth following up on just because some keyboard warrior makes a spurious seemingly random claim that may or may not be grounded in fact.

A little like the closed off topic Dan?

OMO.

Cheers, Steve.

Wikipedia

mugteck said. . . . Casey Stengle used to say, "You can look it up."       

danfinn replied. . . .I don't remember the days of Casey Stengel

Yogi Berra:

"He really didn't say everything he said.

Always go to the other guys funeral, otherwise they won't go to yours.

Half the lies they tell me aren't true.

It ain't the heat it's the humility.

You better cut the Pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry to eat six."

As Casey Stengle used to say, "You can look it up."        -@mugteck

I don't remember the days of Casey Stengel but I do tend verify information, on my own, on topics that I find interesting. But if the US military was  overly strict in its treatment of our troops in1899, I call that "boring', perhaps "expected" ... not worth following up on just because some keyboard warrior makes a spurious seemingly random claim that may or may not be grounded in fact.

-@danfinn

Thanks for sharing

Here's another spurious seemingly random claim, which some of you may find boring or expected:  200,000 Filipino civilians were killed during the war, mostly from cholera or starvation after being placed in concentration camps.  One entire village was wiped out and burned to the ground, resulting in 1,000 deaths, because one American had been killed.

As Casey Stengle used to say, "You can look it up."        -@mugteckI don't remember the days of Casey Stengel but I do tend verify information, on my own, on topics that I find interesting. But if the US military was  overly strict in its treatment of our troops in1899, I call that "boring', perhaps "expected" ... not worth following up on just because some keyboard warrior makes a spurious seemingly random claim that may or may not be grounded in fact.        -@danfinn

Thanks for sharing

-@mugteck

Are you sure you really meant to quote Casey Stengle? 1f602.svg1f602.svg1f602.svg

Yes

Here's another spurious seemingly random claim, which some of you may find boring or expected:  200,000 Filipino civilians were killed during the war, mostly from cholera or starvation after being placed in concentration camps.  One entire village was wiped out and burned to the ground, resulting in 1,000 deaths, because one American had been killed.

-@mugteck

When I first read this I was overcome by pangs of guilt unitl I realized that it happened between 1898 and 1902 when neither I nor my parents were as yet alive. Furthermore my grandparents were living in Europe as children at the time so, my guilt has subsided especially as I recall that the American presence led to the Philippines also becoming an advanced US Commonwealth as "the pearl of Asia". So just as I decline any responsibility for slavery or other bad things that you hate America for, I decline to take any personal responsibility for whatever good or bad outcomes were experienced in the PI related to the American presence. No guilt 😂.

Don't hate America

-@mugteck

When and where was this?    I'd like to read more about it.

--  Endnote:  The bitter bullies that have converged to  turn this thread into chaos won't get any response from me.   That doesn't imply they have made any valid points.

The town which was wiped out was Tatatia, do not know if it even exists today.  The number of Filipinos that died during the war is a highly disputed number, 200,000 is the lowest number I have seen reported. Many claim it was closer to 600,000.  Since the entire population of the Philippines was about 9,000,000 in 1898, some claim 4% of the population died, which if that happened today in the USA over 12,000,000 would die.

A good way to get started on such information is to Google Philippines Insurrection and then click on the Wikipedia entry, will give you sources and testimony from trials concerning atrocities.   You may be interested to compare what you read to the My Lai massacre in Vietnam, during which only one person was convicted, officer Calley, given a life sentence, later changed to 3 years house arrest by Richard Nixon, three years before his hand picked vp Jerry Ford pardoned Nixon for all crimes.  Twice as many civilians died at Tatatia as at My Lai.

Perhaps time to let this go, history yes is interesting but the OP here seems to have changed tunes from a lady  to a whim, like 1's and zeros.

Let's put it to bed and watch for the next chapter.

OMO.

Cheer, Steve.

Would love to read more of great grandfather's diary.  It is MinnGuy's historical connection to the Philippones.  I would love to read anything by any Americans concerning Luzon January to September, 1945, especially the 25th division.  My father told me many stories about his life on Luzon and his occupation of Japan, sailing into Negoya.  This thread is not required reading, anyone  not interested can pass.  Understanding the history of the Philippines for me is part of being an expat.

The diary is part of Philippines history, unless it becomes hateful or graphic it is appropriate to be printed here, does not matter what others say.

I have reported BigPearl, Enyzyte Bob and DanFinn for harassment.On the chance that moderators will close this thread rather than correct their bad behavior, I will comment here that I will discontinue posting this diary if their behavior continues.        -@MinnGuy

You better report the US Navy as well

https://www.history.navy.mil/browse-by- … ction.html

Much as the USMC don't say as much, they do mention children over 10 were considered legitimate targets for killing

The Battle of Balangiga - Samar 1901

National Museum of the Marine Corps

https://www.usmcmuseum.com › uploads › 1_b...

Posting a set of undisputed facts you dislike isn't having a go at you, it's stating undisputed facts you don't like.

Hello everyone,

Please note that I am temporarily closing this thread for analysis.

Thank you,

Cheryl

Expat.com team

Hello everyone,

I wanted to inform you that the thread has been reopened.

To maintain a constructive conversation, please avoid unnecessary comments that may lead to arguments. Remember, everyone is entitled to their perspective.

If you are presenting facts, consider including links to reliable sources to support your statements. This will increase the credibility of your contribution.

Thank you,

Cheryl

Expat.com team

Should have left it closed Cheryl, Posts like this always end up in a sh1t fight. Much better on an appropriate forum related to wars and history for those interested.

OMO and I'm sure I will be jumped on.

Cheers, Steve.

I get your point Steve, but let's see how it goes this time.

However, please be aware that we will be closely monitoring the conversation. Any off-topic posts, or arguments will result in the thread being closed again.

Understand Cheryl and I'll be keeping my distance from this thread as there are more appropriate sites for such issues.

Cheer, Steve.

MinnGuy, please come back and share more of your great grandfather's diary.

Heard from MinnGuy, he won't be back.  Said he will let me know if he decides to print diary elsewhere.

Heard from MinnGuy, he won't be back.  Said he will let me know if he decides to print diary elsewhere.

-@mugteck

That is good. Almost anyplace is more appropriate than a user group forum for printing a diary like that whether real (for historical purposes but that requires a lot more background than he gives). generated by AI (for entertainment purposes) or just plain human fiction

Heard from MinnGuy, he won't be back.  Said he will let me know if he decides to print diary elsewhere.        -@mugteck

That is good. Almost anyplace is more appropriate than a user group forum for printing a diary like that whether real (for historical purposes but that requires a lot more background than he gives). generated by AI (for entertainment purposes) or just plain human fiction         -@danfinn

MinnGuy wanted bigpearl, dannfinn and myself Enzyte Bob banned.

You can't always get what you want.

What I said to mugtech was:

" I won't continue posting the diary here.    It's too likely to result in another eruption of discontent, and too likely that I would lose control of what I had posted.       I'll retire to lurker status on this board unless I have a very specific question. "

Re:

MinnGuy wanted bigpearl, dannfinn and myself Enzyte Bob banned.

I didn't ask for you'all to be bannned, just to stop harassing me.   But apparently I am still living rent free in yalls head.    I absolutely love danfinns suggestion that the diary might be AI generated.   Lol.

I hope ADMIN will close this thread, or better yet delete it entirely.   

Closed