Planning first visit to Vietnam - advice please

Hi everyone.

I'm planning a trip to Vietnam next June ('24) for around 3 weeks.

It will be my first visit to Vietnam. I have a friend there who lives relatively close to Da Lat airport.

My intention therefore will be to fly from London to Ho Chi Minh City and thence - by internal services - to Da Lat airport.

I am looking for travel tips and also any other related information.

While this will be my first trip to Vietnam, I have travelled long-haul to the Philippines a couple of times.

I used a combination of carriers, including BA, Qatar and Philippines Airline - with a stop over in Doha.

Using Skyscanner I see much the same type of journey - most, if not all, involving at least one stop.

In terms of cost, the average seems to be around £750 to £800, with the fastest option over £1000.

The cheapest option is around £550 - with Air China and an extended stop at Beijing airport. Despite the attractive price I'm not attracted to this option. But happy to hear the comments of others.

I'm thinking the cost of the journey will not fluctuate much between now and next June - but again would welcome comments on whether there's any merit in waiting a few months - or is it sensible to book now to lock-in the current rates?

I generally like to pay with my credit card to give me added protection should anything go awry.

I've not yet checked the relative costs of making two separate bookings for the long-haul and domestic legs - versus the cost of one combined booking.

I'll be travelling from Edinburgh to London the day before. If flying from LHR I normally stay at the nearby Ibis - using the airport shuttle.

If the flight departs from Stanstead or Gatwick I'll have to find alternative accommodation. Again, and thoughts / recommendations welcome.

With a 3 week stay I see that no visa is required - other than the stamp on my passport at Vietnam immigration.

I'll need to investigate what jabs I should get before I depart.

Anything else I should be thinking about?

Thanks in advance.

@redgranite:

Travel insurance that includes health care I would recommend. And a word to the wise: I bought a ticket in December of 2019 for travel from US west coast to Australia in August of 2020. Needless to say, that trip did not happen and the airline refunded the ticket -- all due to Covid lockdowns. I had also bought travel insurance but the policy was so full of loopholes it turned out to be just next to useless.

So. My advice: check with an actual travel agent about flights and know what you want and don't want. I, too, would for instance, avoid any airline from mainland China -- and that's from experience flying round trip from Shanghai to Melbourne and Shanghai to Pataya, Thailand. Ugh. The Hong Kong ones are better and the Taiwan ones even better. But really, how many stopovers can you tolerate?

The travel agent will also put you in touch with good travel/health insurance, not the online junk I bought which had the age-old insurance feature: the big print gives it to you and the fine print takes it away.

@Lennerd

Many thanks for your helpful reply.

I will certainly ensure I'm well covered with the appropriate level of travel / health insurance.

Gerry

@redgranite

Congratulations on your upcoming (first!) visit to Vietnam!

I can't comment on your int'l travel itinerary, but for a local sprint HCMC/Dalat (or anywhere else domestic), my experience has been that domestic prices are exceptionally cheap, provided you purchase directly from the airline's office(s) or the airline's official online site. No agent mark-up, and easily transferred to a credit note on a future trip if cancelled (the airlines are not so quick to give a cash refund, however). When paying at the airline's office or at the official airline website using a credit card, select "Pay in VND" for best rate. If paying in cash at their office, bring VND.

Importation of any new electronics which you might bring with you can/might be subject to a duty charge. To avoid this, I've seen VN people discard the original packaging from laptops, tablets, phones etc prior to boarding their final flight into VN.  Don't attempt to bring new items to give as gifts while you are here, unless you're okay with paying a very hefty tax.

Bring a spare quality charger and cable with you for your devices. Many tales here of junk products resulting in tragic and/or lethal consequences.

If you are bringing medication(s) with you, ensure that they are in their original packaging, and if required a copy of a doctor's prescription. Even with a prescription, there are some medications which will be prohibited (eg. medical cannabis, certain antihistamines, ADHD and OCD medications) from being allowed through customs. If in doubt, and if this applies to you or any future reader of this thread, do your own research on any meds you might bring with you.

As far as "jabs" go, since you've travelled to SEA before and presumably were inoculated against typical tropical diseases, if it will give you peace-of-mind check whether any need updating. If by "jabs" you're referring to "covid" requirements, fret no more. There are absolutely no "covid" restrictions and/or obligations in place currently in VN (i.e. no insurance required, nor masks, vaccination status, contact apps etc). See here for a recent thread and link to a local news article.

Feel free to ask more questions should the need arise. Lots of friendly folk at expat.com. Welcome aboard.

@redgranite

Your itinerary and personal finances are your own personal decisions - nobody can help you with those.

Internal flights are relatively cheap, but avoid VietJet Air - worse than RyanAir and with very frequent delays.

No jabs needed for short stays.

HCMC and Hanoi suffer terrible air pollution, so be warned.

Check UK govt foreign office Vietnam web pages for current regulations and lots of advice.

I have travelled from Ireland to Vietnam many times and normally travel with Qatar Airways through Doha. However, as you are leaving from London, I'm fairly sure you can get direct flights from Heathrow to either Hanoi or Saigon. I have also travelled from Saigon to Da Lat by "limousine bus", which I would recommend as it's not very far and you will see the countryside. A limousine bus, is like a transit van with 7 or 9 comfortable seats and A/C, which you will definitely want as it will be very warm in June. I normally go to Vietnam in the winter but I was in Saigon in June 2022 and it was incredibly hot. It will be slightly cooler in Da Lat as its up in the hills.

Normal holiday travel insurance is obviously important, but you won't need any "jabs". I have always found the people to be friendly and helpful, so you shouldn't encounter any difficulties. If you need any more information, just ask.

I always recommend a travel agent. online is great if you have no problems - no so great solving issues that arise.

Recommend checking LUMA insurance.

I've flown Aur China with no problems with the Airline, but security can be a bit over the top compared to other Asian destinations.

I'd suggest flying into Saigon and taking bus or Limo to DaLat.

Three weeks is a very short time to see such a diverse and amazing country - month minimum!

( its my 67th country and number one in my opinion)

Learn  basic language skills especially numbers to 20, and basic communications for greeting and thanking and buying.

Read up on cultural habits and expectations of visitors - all easily searched online.

Almost everything you are used to is availble in Vietnam. Bring way less than you think. Clothes and shoes are very inexpensive. I can easily do 3 months with just a carry-on.

Search 'wearable luggage' if you want to bring more? Travelling is a breeze without checked baggage.

@redgranite

Just checked ....you can fly Vietnam Airways direct to Da Lat with only one stop in Sai Gon for 1483.usd.  4 hour layover.  Enough time to transit immigration and customs.  found this on cheapoair.com.  I have flown on VN Air many times including a trip to London to visit old friends.  Good airline.  The dates I checked were depart 1/13, return 2/09.   

By the way, Da Lat is cold that time of year.  IN the mountains....very pretty.  If you can manage a motorbike license in your country makes like easier here to rent one.  Bring an umbrella.  Have fun.  try duolingo online to help with the language.  Oh and I live in Sai Gon.