Your neighbours in Mauritius

Hello everyone,

When you move in Mauritius, relationships with your neighbours can play a vital role in your well-being and integration. Share your experiences of the interactions and routines that punctuate your daily life in Mauritius:

Tell us about your relationships with your neighbours in Mauritius. Do you have any anecdotes to share, moments of solidarity or community initiatives that have touched you?

Are there any specific customs or cultural norms to be respected between neighbours? For example, is it normal to introduce yourself to your neighbours and invite them over when you move in Mauritius?

Do you have any tips or advice for fostering good neighbourly relations in Mauritius? How do you deal with the differences and diversities that can exist within the community?

Are there any initiatives to organise activities between neighbours, whether official events or spontaneous gatherings?

Are your neighbours expats or locals? How does this influence your experience in Mauritius?

By sharing your experiences, you enrich everyone's understanding of life in Mauritius and help many people to plan their life abroad.

Thank you all for your contributions.

Cheryl
Expat.com Team

My neighbours are mostly local Mauritians & they are awesome. Everyone in my neighbourhood says hello, stop to chat & are willing to help you out. I had one neighbour bring me plants & soil & then help me garden. He is now a regular visitor & I cook him gajak & we have a few drinks. When my phone/net played up the owners of our local shop & the guys drinking outside helped me out. I am so lucky to have great neighbours. The only thing I would say is that I wish they didn't litter so much.

Our neighbours are a mixture of locals and expats. As expats we are accepted more by other expats than the locals in the area.  In saying that, we have a very good relationship with our landlady.  She has been welcoming, kind and supportive.  We have also shared a glass of wine occasionally on the beach.

One of my first lasting memories of Mauritius when I came here many years ago on holiday with my family, was the significant number of stray dogs in the streets, on public beaches and in general all over the island.  Many years later when we decided to move to Mauritius (last year), it struck me how bad this situation still is.  Through our local neighbourhood whatsapp group we were able to meet up with some lovely people (neighbours) with a similar love and concern for these desperate animals.  This group is made up of locals and expats who are all passionate about trying to take care of the stray dogs and puppies that have been discarded and that are living in our neighbourhood (also our neighbours) treating their injuries and diseases, sterilising them, feeding them and finding homes for them whenever possible).  We have made some lovely contacts and friends through this particular neighbourhood group.

Where on the island are u based. I would love to be a part of the team