3 Month/6 Month Passport Validity Rule

@Brewpub56  Yay! I love a story with a happy ending!

Yayyyyyyyyy

US citizen, If you can prove you have immediate international travel plans AND can get an appointment, you can get a same day passport. I had to do this back in 2019, and I just hosted my friend's son for a weekend to get his same day passport. He could only get an appointment in Detroit 🤪.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel … -fast.html

I thought I'd share...

I'm traveling to Santo Domingo January 14, 2024 and coming back January 28, 2024 but my passport expired June 23, 2024, should they allow me to entry to Santo Domingo without any problem.

It needs to be valid for a minimum of 6 months.  They may not allow you to board

They won't allow u to board.....

I flew United out of JFK last February with less than 60 days left on my passport. I was told by United that as long as my return ticket was was dated before the expiration date it was ok. I had zero problems.

Sorry it was United out of Newark not JFK.

While that worked for you, it is not the rule!

Don't count on it happening is my advice.

Exceptional Measure rule is in effect till 5/2024. Traveling as a tourist from the USA, Canada, England , European Union, Bazil and a couple of other countries requires passport be valid only for length of stay.

And where did you get this information?   Source please as I have seen this absolutely nowhere!  Thanks!

The other countries are Chile,  Argentina, Columbia and Ecuador 

Source of this info honey please?

Dominican Republic Ministry of Tourism

Entry requirements

https://www.godominicanrepublic.com/tra … uirements/

Thank you!  I have not seen this anywhere, this really helps!

This is from [link under review], the official website of the Ministry of Tourism:
ENTRY REQUIREMENTS FOR FOREIGNERS ENTERING THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC AS TOURISTS
Foreigners entering the Dominican Republic as tourists must comply with the following requirements:

Passport with a minimum validity of six (6) months.
Air, maritime or land ticket of entrance and return.
A permanent address in the Dominican Republic.
Proof of sufficient economic solvency to cover their expenses during their stay in the Dominican Republic.

-@ddmcghee

All I can say is, I really miss the good old days; when no passport was needed at all.

Do we really need a permanent address to simply lie on a beach in Punta Cana?.

As this requirement would put a quick end to any tourism, as it is impossible for the average tourist to comply with.

It's whatever address you will stay at while here.  Just put the name of the hotel you are staying at and the city. 

Thanks Planner,

That was confusing, as this is actually a temporary address at best.

And I'm also grateful I found this site/thread, as I was unaware of the required 6 months holding my new passport.

No your passport needs at least 6 more months before expiry.

https://www.godominicanrepublic.com/tra … uirements/-@huddleston1

As pointed out in this post, as long as your passport is valid for your ticketed stay, and you're from one of the approved countries, the 6 month rule for your passport doesn't apply.  At least until the end of this month.

Also, giving the address of where you're staying in a foreign country has been standard practice for decades.  Very common, everywhere.  It's nothing new and difficult specific to the DR.

At least until the end of this month.Also, giving the address of where you're staying in a foreign country has been standard practice for decades.  Very common, everywhere.  It's nothing new and difficult specific to the DR.        -@UncleBuck

I haven't returned to the DR since 1994, 1f601.svg

Guess I'll have to use the first hotel in Punta Cana for an address, as I'll be driving the country in a rental SUV.

And just to be safe, will wait and see if there are any changes next month prior to booking from the U.S.