Moving to Malta

Hiiiii,
There's a good possibility that we may be moving to Malta from the UK.
I've read quite a bit about it but would love to hear real accounts! I have 2 small boys(1 and 3 years)and obviously need to consider their needs too. Any information would be HUGELY welcome. I am also a teacher (primary) so any info regarding this would be fabulous too.
Thank you v much!

Hi Shinysarah,

welcome to our forum.

Here is a link to a past tender for teachers in the Maltese school system so you can see the requirements and procedure to apply:

http://doi.gov.mt/en/employment_opp/3105c.asp

The main stumbling block is the ability to speak Maltese. All cerificates and diplomas that are not from Malta need to be recognized by the a commission in the DES.

I think  the teachers at private schools also need to speak Maltese but I'm not sure and could ask a friend who teaches at one if you are interested.

There are also teachers at the various international schools who would not need to speak Maltese and at language schools.

Cheers
Ricky

Hi Ricky,
Thanks so much for your response.  That'd be very helpful if you could ask your friend re speaking maltese as that would be a major problem!!!!

I'll have a look at the link now

Thanks again!

Hi ,
I just talked to my Maltese private teacher friend.

She says that a foreign teaching degree would have to be recognized by the DES .Whether you would actually be required to be able to speak Maltese could depend on your school. I think she was saying that without Maltese your chances are quite low. Even for private schools.

That would leave the international schools ......

Cheers
Ricky

Hi Ricky,
Thanks ever so much. I've had a look at the link which has given me some more information.
My concern is that the international schools would not follow the british curriculum?
Thanks again
Sarah

Hi Sarah,

probably not but at least they would not require you to have all your diplomas and certificates recognized by the Department of Educ. Services which could turn out to be quite a hassle.

Our experience with regulated jobs is that if the authorities can find a reason to decline your application as an EU citizen they will !

You should try talking to the private schools first and see what they say about Maltese language and so on. Or just go for the International schools if there are positions available.

Cheers
Ricky

Hi Sarah
Good to hear that there is a chance you could be joining us in sunny Malta!!
I've been here for just over a year now. I also have two children, two girls though! one is aged 2, the other just four months. much better life over here for them i think, compared to the UK, and alot safer too.
we send our 2 year old to a nursery near to where we live, the teachers speak to her in both english and maltese. Our hope is that our girls will speak both maltese and english (i secretly hope that they both speak with a bristolian accent too, which is where i am originally from!)
We are currently looking into her next stage of schooling so I will update you if you like on what needs to be done. Luckily, my wife is maltese so she knows alot more about the system than I do!
good luck with everything
James

Hi James,
Thanks so much for the reply!! To be honest, part of the reason we're thinking of moving there is a better life for the boys which I'm sure you can completely relate to.
Can I ask if your eldest daughter goes to a private or international nursery?
I'd really appreciate any information as it seems much more complicated than we'd initially thought!  We used to live in the middle east and believe it or not, that appears to have been more straight forward than our planned move to malta. It sounds like you had a head start with your wife being Maltese!
Glad you have settled in well.
Thanks for the info!
Sarah

Dear Shinysarah,
I am a teacher myself (secondary school), and I have found that the international school do not required that teachers speak Maltese. I have found a job in one of them.
I am not sure for primary teachers, but it would make sense to have native speaker teachers so the kids learn the proper "British" accent.
You should definitively be positive and give a try. There are at least big 6 schools in Malta.

Chussita

hi sarah
sorry for the delay in replying
my daughter goes to a private nursery, it costs approx 2euros 50cents per hour. there are lots of nurseries around the island.
i am lucky that my wife is maltese and it does make these things easier.
we aren't 100percent sure of the procedure of getting her into the next stage of education but we'll find out soon enough, im sure
if you do decide to make the move over then myself and others on here can help you along the way with any questions you may have.
so go for it !!
if you need anything else, just ask
best of luck
James

Thanks Chusitta, I think you're right. I'll contact the schools directly.
Thank you!
Sarah

Thanks James! Important decisions ahead I think!