Why I Haven't Visited Da Lat

I've heard too many stories (such as this one) about it having grown too big; no longer possessing it's famous charm...

vnexpress.net/news/news/overburdened-da-lat-is-falling-apart

What's everyone's current opinion of the place?

@OceanBeach92107 About ten years ago Da Lat was a sleepy city. The road to the city from the airport was in excellent condition, as were the roads around the city. The city wasn't overcrowded, and the central market was an experience for visitors.

Having just returned from a three-day visit to Da Lat this week, it was sad to see the changes.

The sleepy city is no more. The road from the airport is a long haul, time-wise, and the condition is of the road is abysmal with potholes the norm.

Add to this the convoys of trucks and buses, what was once about a forty-minute trip can now blow out to one hour plus.

Construction is everywhere, which indicates more hotels are being built.

The market, which was a place to be enjoyed, is now crowded with visitors, motorbike, and vehicular traffic. Forget the quiet stroll looking at the numerous stalls, and be prepared to get blasted by horns as traffic weaves through the pedestrians.

Love Lake was a picture to behold. Today there are advertising placards where there was pleasant scenery. I was shocked when we went there and didn't recognize the place until I recognized the lake.

Outside the city center, you can find some quiet, and very tasty restaurants. The best way to get around the city is using Grab.

Will I go back again?

Not in this lifetime.

@OceanBeach92107

I was last in Dalat in 2017. So much, including Covid, has gone by since then.

Still, the article you linked about the greenhouses and the water run-off is frighteningly familiar with what happens when developments that likely are better regulated are, uh, not!

And 260,000 people living there? No thanks. There was a railroad that went there. After the French left, the authorities allowed people to build houses *on the railroad right-of-way* and so now, uh, no railroad, except little excursion jaunts out a few kilometers. Ugh.

And here in the grand old United States, it would also seem that land developers have a way of getting what they want, impacts on the future be damned, from the government. The California coastline being a prime example of developers getting ahead of the desires of the electorate at large and . . .  well, ugly.

I just visited Da Lat a few months ago and I still like it. Previously I visited back in 2018. I think its worth visiting. Its gotten so much more crowded but I think its totally worth it to stay in one of the cabins on the outskirts and sip coffee in one of the cafe's overlooking the side of the mountain. Im not a fan of the inner city but I think there are still plenty of beautiful and charming views. We also rented motorbikes and just rode around the countryside which has some great natural views. Im origonally from Charlotte, North Carolina and regularly camp in the smokeys and blue ridge area. Its one of the few places in Vietnam that actually made me feel like I was sorta back home. I plan to return to Da Lat again within the next few months and would love to do a motorbike trip there from Saigon but my wife is terrified of the trucks on the main roads which I dont blame her. The drive is beautiful though. I am an architect by trade so one thing I do think Vietnam needs to get its act together on is its stormwater design. Im sure its getting better with newer construction but there has basically been no planning ahead for this kinda stuff and when it rains here it really pours.

Been there a few times, last time was with sister-in-law and their good friends whose hometown it is, they showed us all the small lesser known places that they like because of the photo setting for social media (yes their 20-ish) and we keep finding new places each time.

Must say it's 100% going with someone who lives there or has a different taste you see so much more you didn't know existed.

Still, think it's stunning for photo ops around the area, especially if you have a bike/car to just drive around exploring day and night and not relying on taxis, buses, etc.

HCMC - Da Lat is ok, but down the twisties, to Phan Tiet (QL 28 or QL 28B) both have breathtaking views.

I love Da Lat but not city. Been going there since 2008 & still visit regularly but Tuyen Lam Lake area & even there things are changing. Last time out on rented scooter there were quite a few landslides some had obviously come onto the roads & been cleared, some had not been cleared. I also heard there had been a landslide in the city that killed 2 people. Sign of the times I suppose.

https://vietnamnews.vn/society/1550512/ … -dong.html

https://e.vnexpress.net/news/news/overb … yK3H1swaUs

I have been to Da Lat 13 years ago and more recently, 3 months ago. The inner city hadn't change much. Except that there are more western style coffee shops, hotels and some restaurants which is not a bad thing. The central lake was dry on my first visit with cows grazing on the floor bed. Nice to see it filled with water.

The forested areas are still beautiful and there are also more and nicer home stays then a decade ago.

What struck me most, was the abundance of plastic greenhouses. Contrary to the glass versions in my country which shine as jewels in the night, these are covered with dust and most of the plastic is deteriorating. This is a major eyesore imho.

Also, the road between Nha Trang and Da Lat has amazing views. I got only a glimpse of that the first time due to torrential rains but now the weather was very good. Best is to travel using a limousine service (those comfy vans) between the two cities so you can enjoy the rather long ride.

What struck me most, was the abundance of plastic greenhouses. Contrary to the glass versions in my country which shine as jewels in the night, these are covered with dust and most of the plastic is deteriorating. This is a major eyesore imho.

-@Kiteflyer

Perhaps we should be asking ourselves why the owners of those plastic greenhouses are not making enough to upgrade to glass.  It has long seemed to me that both small farmers and paid agricultural labor in Vietnam are both underpaid.  I am not sure if this is simple supply and demand or government policy to keep costs down for people in the big cities.  Another contributing factor may be inadequate land tenure for the farmers.

I have been to Da Lat 13 years ago and more recently, 3 months ago. The inner city hadn't change much. Except that there are more western style coffee shops, hotels and some restaurants which is not a bad thing. The central lake was dry on my first visit with cows grazing on the floor bed. Nice to see it filled with water.
The forested areas are still beautiful and there are also more and nicer home stays then a decade ago.
Also, the road between Nha Trang and Da Lat has amazing views. I got only a glimpse of that the first time due to torrential rains but now the weather was very good. Best is to travel using a limousine service (those comfy vans) between the two cities so you can enjoy the rather long ride.
-@Kiteflyer

About 5 years ago I was looking to rent a villa in Da Lat city suburbs so my GF at that time (tattoo lady) who came from Lam Dong arranged for her cousin to drive us round viewing places. One big villa had a big patio looking out over the rural landscape. They said to me oh goodolboy just look at the views, this is a really nice place for you to rent. My reaction was where is the view, all I can see is plastic green houses not an open bit of ground, tree, grass in sight. Their reaction was " yes it is so beautiful don't you think"....................& that just says it all.

-@Kiteflyer

About 5 years ago I was looking to rent a villa in Da Lat city suburbs so my GF at that time (tattoo lady) who came from Lam Dong arranged for her cousin to drive us round viewing places. One big villa had a big patio looking out over the rural landscape. They said to me oh goodolboy just look at the views, this is a really nice place for you to rent. My reaction was where is the view, all I can see is plastic green houses not an open bit of ground, tree, grass in sight. Their reaction was " yes it is so beautiful don't you think"....................& that just says it all.
-@goodolboy

Wrong thread.

Should be in "Let's Have A Laugh..." 😉

😂 😂 😂

Perhaps we should be asking ourselves why the owners of those plastic greenhouses are not making enough to upgrade to glass... contributing factor may be inadequate land tenure for the farmers.
-@THIGV

That thought crossed my mind.

Even if citizens have "permission" to use the land (by lease or bribe) it's questionable whether they own the property outright AND have legal authorization to use it for farming "permanently".

Even if everything is legal, the Vietnamese version of "eminent domain" could quickly have them evicted.

Somewhat related: The government in Hội An recently cleared a long-standing string of makeshift vendor stalls (mostly street food & coffee stands) from a stretch of sidewalk next to AgriBank on Lê Thánh Tông, Cẩm Châu (near Bà Lê Market), reportedly for street widening.

It's sad to think of how negatively that has certainly impacted the lives of those sellers, but at least they have a hope of finding another spot somewhere to erect their stalls with the same materials they previously used. 

(Patronizing much? 😬😣)

https://tuoitrenews.vn/news/ttnewsstyle … RKzMTpr1Bc

-@goodolboy

a superior vantage point for viewing plastic covered greenhouses? 😉

-@goodolboy

"...with special visual and sound effects to enhance the experience of tourists.."

Wonder if those effects include the recorded sounds of breaking glass, and an app that shows simulated cracks in the glass walkway. Now THAT would enhance one's experience!

-@goodolboy
"...with special visual and sound effects to enhance the experience of tourists.."

Wonder if those effects include the recorded sounds of breaking glass, and an app that shows simulated cracks in the glass walkway. Now THAT would enhance one's experience!
-@Aidan in HCMC

Another candidate for Cc: to "Let's Have A Laugh..." thread 😉😂