Da Lat choice

Hi expats friends,

I'm not yet in VN, but considering to move partially to Da' Lat or Vung Tau.   Da Lat, because the climate is cooler than other places, Vung Tau because of youth memories.

Please describe your liking comparing Da Lat with other cities in VN that you have lived.  What do you like about it, is there everything that you need as shopping, groceries, etc.   Any insights are welcomed.
Have a great week end.  Luna

I can't comment on Da Lat. I haven't been there as my general impression is that it sounds pretty boring.

This news recently came out a week ago though:

Da Lat's historic buildings to make way for tourism facilities

https://e.vnexpress.net/news/news/da-la … 95753.html

Da Lat abandons iconic French-era palace for dream of modernity

https://tuoitrenews.vn/news/society/201 … 49389.html

Anyway, Vung Tau, although it's also boring, is convenient, comfortable and developing. They're starting to build too many condos and hotels though.

What someone else likes may not be what you like.

Best you visit both and make the decision.

Thanks John and Collin for your kind answers.   I was in Dalat 11 years ago, and yes it's boring, but the weather is much cooler than HCM.   I have not been back to VT since 1975.  Watching posts on Youtube, i realize that Vietnam soon will be like Thailand Kuala Lumpur, they have more skyscraper than some countries in Europe.    I hope to find still the old lifestyle of the Vietnamese people, wet market, street food, people squatting on the street, pagoda before it disappears for good.  I just wish to be able to tolerate the heat, it's the number one hindrance for me.  11 year old I visited for a month and was miserable, I wasn't able to do much as I only come out of the hotel after 7pm.  So I'm training myself to be very healthy in order to enjoy my future stay.  Have an enjoyable Sunday.

I hope to find still the old lifestyle of the Vietnamese people, wet market, street food, people squatting on the street, pagoda before it disappears for good.

Don't worry. although maybe they are not included in the newest suburbs, local culture, lifestyles and traditions are still easy to find, even in the biggest cities.

Anyway, VT has sea breezes so I feel that it is a bit cooler than HCMC. In addition, if you decide to not live in Da Lat, as you know, there are several other towns in the hills, such as Buôn Ma Thuột, which, as the coffee capital of VN, is said to be rather prosperous these days.

johnross23 wrote:

there are several other towns in the hills, such as Buôn Ma Thuột, which, as the coffee capital of VN, is said to be rather prosperous these days.

There's absolutely nothing to do in BMT.  Food scene is not exciting, art and cultural activities are zero, shopping is a dud.  One can't even talk about traffic in BMT.  Rush hour lasts about 10 minutes so a person can't even use that as an excuse for his late arrival at work, dinner, or his date.

Cheers for that info. How was your experience in Da Lat?

johnross23 wrote:

Cheers for that info. How was your experience in Da Lat?

Not enough interpersonal warmth for me.  Da Lat has been altered a lot physically, but one thing is always constant:  if your parents were not native of the city, if you're also not native of the city, or if you haven't spent half of your life there like the old French expats, you're never fully accepted.  It's very difficult to be part of the local life.

In Saigon (Phu Nhuan specifically), my husband was accepted by almost everyone in the ward even though he couldn't speak a lick of Vietnamese.  In VT, many people wave at him or call out "hello" when they see him pedalling or walking with his bodyboard.  I'm certain he won't get that in Da Lat.  I didn't get that myself, so what would be his chance?

All great answers.  Thanks.

sorry to bump a thread that's over a year old, but just going by the Da Lat sub-forum it doesn't seem like there are many expats or foreigners there. Most threads are over a year old.