Vietnam hotels

Every hotel I have stayed at in Dalat has wanted to keep my passport until I check out. I pay in advance .Is this just a Dalat thing? Hasn't happened anywhere else.

Also is it normal for hotels to charge for the bottled water in the room.?

Heh, heh...    Read the 'Rules'!     ..interpretation is contingent...

Yes, the majority keep your passport as security

Although it is ruled a prerequisite, the (busier?) Hotels only ask for a
photocopy now.   And will do it for you.

They will return it if you have embassy, Visa or
other reasonable business to conduct, particularly if you are staying
a few days or more.   Negotiation is always an option...

Whilst the ghosts of the not-so-distant past where every foreigner
was followed have largely faded, many Hotels like the extra security
against you skipping without paying, damages, etc. 
      ..not only backpackers either...

* Most give bottled water, towels etc for free.   Do your research!     :top:

furthur wrote:

Every hotel I have stayed at in Dalat has wanted to keep my passport until I check out. I pay in advance .Is this just a Dalat thing? Hasn't happened anywhere else.

Also is it normal for hotels to charge for the bottled water in the room.?

If you pay (full) in advance, you should ask them to return your PP after making a photocopy of relevant pages. Just tell them you need to go to the bank and you need your PP. This is a new trend and yes these days they want to keep the original (PP/TRC etc.).
As for bottled water in a hotel room, there are usually two types. One set (a pair) kept on the table is complimentary. The set inside the refrigerator is not always so.

furthur wrote:

...is it normal for hotels to charge for the bottled water in the room.?

My experience world wide: I get all the extra 'free' water I want when I tip the chambermaid. YMMV ~ Gordy

I've always waited for the passport to return to me, or when the front desk was busy, I told them that I would come back to pick it up in 15 minutes.  It's the same in every hotel across the country  -- at least it was for us.

"I've always waited for the passport to return to me, or when the front desk was busy, I told them that I would come back to pick it up in 15 minutes.  It's the same in every hotel across the country  -- at least it was for us."

Sadly, not all of us can exude your aura of quality...      :sosad:

I entered Vietnam at Ha Tien. I liked it a lot, friendly people,delicious food,attractive scenery so decided to stay for five days. When I was checking out they charged me for the nine bottles of water I drank. I travel constantly in Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Laos and I live in a hotel in Cambodia. Everywhere provide two free bottles of water so was surprised at Ha Tien. I will be going back there but will not stay at that hotel again. I didn't see any other guest when I was there before. The Dalat hotels have a sign on the wall saying small water 10,000vnd.

I didn't leave my passport with any hotel, told them no and checked out next day.
It's illegal for my country to leave a passport as security. The passport belongs to the government. I wouldn't leave it anyway because don't want to risk losing it.

Bazza139 wrote:

Sadly, not all of us can exude your aura of quality...      :sosad:

Aura of quality, you jest. It's my old age that commands respect, and it only works in VN, as thou-shalt-respect-thy-elders is ingrained in the culture.

They have always kept my passport -never charged for water.

I never leave my passport, no exceptions.  I give a photo copy and nobody has ever asked to keep my passport.  If they did, I would not stay there, no exceptions.

When you check in, always ask what is complimentary and what is not, keep it simple.