Moved from UK to germany - self-employed cultural worker

Hello all,

I've recently just moved from the UK where I am a permanent resident and currently working for multiple clients across the globe including South East Asia and America. At present, in Germany, I have a spousal visa for 6 months, we will have to renew this in Oct for a longer period due to my partner having started a new employment at the time of applying for my visa. I am currently on my partner's insurance scheme and have not registered myself either as a hausfrau or unemployed or employed. I obtained my visa in April and now trying to work out the working permit here in Germany, as I was wondering if I could just be taxing my income only in the UK as I do live between these two countries, Germany and UK. 

Any assistance on this matter would be a wonderful help! thank you kindly.

It is not clear from your post what you actually want to achieve,so I only comment on your current situation:

• Your "spouse visa" (I assume it's a family reunion visa?) must tell whether it allows work or not. Most of them do.
  • It is not your choice, whether to tax the income here or there: As a legal resident in Germany (which you now are), your world income is by default taxable here - only some exemptions, e.g. in bilateral tax treaties, might include regulations to avoid double taxation, but this is not assured. Check the UK-German one and/or consult a good international tax adviser (they are not cheap!). In most treaties, taxation rights are given to the country where the work is (primarily) performed - from your post it seems that this is Germany in your case. But you will probably have to declare the full income in both countries, because it is up to the tax authorities (not you) to decide which rule applies.
  • You can only remain in your spouse's public health insurance for free as dependant as long as you have no own income. Since you have (foreign) income, the setup is already incorrect now.

I see. My primary work is actually in the UK. I'm only going to have work in Germany at the end of the year, hence why I want to make sure I'm doing it correctly.

Yes, the visa I am on is a family reunion visa.

But it is possible to amend my current setup no?

Do you happen to have any recommendations on international tax advisor?

So, you are currently travelling back and forth and only work when you are in the UK?

(Renote workers are taxed where they live/work, not where the company that engaged them sits or where the salary is paid - although it might be taxed again there!)

I recommend a clear break when you start performing any paid work in Germany - stop doing so in the UK, otherwise things will get very complicated!

Here is a database of all tax advisors licensed in Germany:

https://steuerberaterverzeichnis.berufs-org.de/

I am currently on my partner's insurance scheme and have not registered myself either as a hausfrau or unemployed or employed.
-@Anais Aw

Just checking - did you register your residence after moving to Germany?

@beppi thank you

@ALKB what do you mean by register?

@ALKB what do you mean by register?
-@Anais Aw

I mean going to the local town hall or Bürgeramt and registering with the local municipality that you have moved to Germany. You need a form certifying your move-in date duly completed by your landlord (or, if your spouse owns their home, then filled in by them).

All residents have to do this, including German citizens. Whenever there is a move/change of address, you have to do the same thing in the new locality.

Example from Frankfurt am Main:

https://frankfurt.de/english/service-an … -residence

At present, in Germany, I have a spousal visa for 6 months, we will have to renew this in Oct for a longer period due to my partner having started a new employment at the time of applying for my visa.
-@Anais Aw

Your work rights are endorsed on your visa/residence permit e,g, Erwerbstätigkeit gestattet, etc.

@ALKB yes, I have done this.