American expat/Thai wife

Hello Penang Community ! This is my first Post. Me and my Thai wife are coming to Penang , as USA citizen I get 90 day stamp, my Thai wife only gets 30 day.  Question:  Is there a way to get her an extension without leaving Malaysia?  ( 9o day for both )

Not that I know of! And, once she leaves after the 30 i doubt she can quickly return.

I lived for about 5 years in Malaysia using just 90 day visas and travelling around Asia a lot. When I married my Indonesian wife we had the same problem. That was fifteen years ago and we made it work by leaving the country and coming back a few days later, but immigration don't allow that anymore, and even back then they gave her a lot of scrutiny each time she presented her passport. We only solved it by getting MM2H. We were lucky that we only needed to put RM65k into an FD account thanks to a good agent. I have no idea what the rules are nowadays but I assume it's much stricter and requires a lot more savings and income.

Wyngrove,

Sure it was mostly ok before. But ASEAN is different with its own rules. Maybe in the Thai forum there is more current information.

Yes, things have definitely changed and it's become a lot more difficult. Even in 2015 when I'd left Malaysia for Indonesia things were getting a lot more strict with other Asian nationals visiting Malaysia without a valid long term visa.