Portable or pocket wifi

Hi All

is it possible to rent Portable or pocket wifi for 1 month ? Is there a company at the airport that can rent me a device ?

thank you

James

I'm not sure about renting, but Emtel has a broadband on the go portable wifi device that you can purchase and there are prepaid plans to choose from.

Hi,

You can buy a prepaid sim card from Emtel or MyT for your daily phone use.

You have a monthly allowance of 75 GB for 315 rs on MyT or 5GB per day for 30 days at 319 rs on Emtel. Use hotspot to share the data with your other devices

You can go for any one of them. Do bear in mind that Emtel coverage is not great everywhere

Hope this helps

Cheers

Deenesh

The booth at the airport can sell you a 'tourist' sim for Rs 750 or so which has 200GB data and 100 minutes talk time, as far as I remember. The staff there will insert the sim and make sure it is working, and it will stop working after 30 days. If you are visiting from the UK, it seems good value. I have a dual sim phone, and after getting this simcard, I disabled data on the UK sim; still could use Whatsapp as usual and all my apps including banking apps. You can also use it as a hotspot. I enable the UK sim from time to time without mobile data to check for messages, but it is costly.

Hi,

Just want to know one thing, is it good to take this Data and SIM at airport or we can get it from city with low cost ?

@jayonline take emtel from city for 350 with data  for a month

Drive 12km from the airport to the nearby town of Rose Belle - there you will find the Plaisance Mall with an Emtel shop with friendly staff who can offer you the Tourist Package on presentation of your passport.

This Emtel branch opens every morning at 09:00 and closes 20:30 on weekdays  (except Fri and Sat 22:00 and Sunday until 13:00)

@Dr. Muazim Tak unfortunately they want to see residence/occupation permit and proof of address; at least that was what I was told in the shop. Tourists may prefer lots of data for sending pics, tethering laptops etc. Also, it is convenient to get online soon after landing, and the sim only works for 30 days.

Hello everyone,

I think James should provide some info about his his needs so that we know whether the tourist pack will be enough.

Here are the links to both operators' tourist pack :

https://www.myt.mu/mobile/tourist-sim

https://www.emtel.com/tourist-pack

Have a nice day

Bhavna

Hi All
is it possible to rent Portable or pocket wifi for 1 month ? Is there a company at the airport that can rent me a device ?

thank you

James
-@james--0-33

You can pop a SIM in your Android phone (assuming it's unlocked to any network) and use the phone's hotspot fuction. I think, much as they tend to be overhyped and inferior, iphones have the same function.

Hi, Thank you everyone, thats very helpful ! I will buy a tourist Sim when i arrive. This will be enough for my 4 weeks stay.  Thank you all !

@james--0-33 We bought from anazon the portable Wi Fi and a sim card in Mauritius

It was a perfect choice