Questions about PR for high-skilled (Fachkrafte) workers

Hi! I have a few questions for those who got their permanent residency card (Niederlassungserlaubnis) as Fachkrafte (high-skilled workers) after 4 years (48 months) of working, living and paxing taxes in Germany.

I know you have to show proof of your language level in German when you submit your application. Do you have to have a B2 level certificate or is B1 enough? I know it's B1 when you apply as a "regular" worker after 5 years but I don't know if the requirement is higher when you apply as a high-skilled worker.

Also do you need to pass a Leben in Deutschland test or not? Is a a language certificate proof from say Goethe Institute enough?

I need to know this as I will be submitting my application in a few months from now and I need to start preparing.

All this has been covered numberous times on this site. Here is a link to the offical German Immigration Agency site page about the Niederlassungserlaubnis (settlement permit) requirements:

https://www.bamf.de/EN/Themen/Migration … ntranet671

It's not been covered numerous times on this site otherwise I wouldn't be asking about it. As you can see, my situation is very specific.

It's not been covered numerous times on this site otherwise I wouldn't be asking about it. As you can see, my situation is very specific.
-@Trabantlover

Nothing special about getting a settlement permit.  The link I provided clearly shows the rules

And you just have to ask your local Auslanderamt where you apply for what their requirements are. There is always the possiblitiy of individual offices interpretating things a bit differently. Best you get things from the office you will be dealing with.

-@Trabantlover
Nothing special about getting a settlement permit. The link I provided clearly shows the rules

And you just have to ask your local Auslanderamt where you apply for what their requirements are. There is always the possiblitiy of individual offices interpretating things a bit differently. Best you get things from the office you will be dealing with.
-@TominStuttgart

The link you've provided neither says what the language requirement is for skilled workers nor says whether or not a Leben in Deutschland test is needed.

-@Trabantlover
Nothing special about getting a settlement permit. The link I provided clearly shows the rules

-@TominStuttgart

The link you've provided neither says what the language requirement is for skilled workers nor says whether or not a Leben in Deutschland test is needed.
-@Trabantlover

It states a B1 level is needed. There is no higher level required for residency or even citizenship. You are assuming your situation is something special; it's not. Highly skilled worker status just shortens the residency requirement from the standard 60 month to 48. There is no reason that they would make the requirements more difficult for highly skilled workers who they of course want to retain. And if they made different requirements, then it would be mentioned.

B2 is often needed for an Ausbildung or certain jobs like nursing. C1 is usually needed for university or to be a doctor. This has to do with that one can safely do a job or be able to comprehend a university program. Nothing to do with immigration.

According to the BAMF website the exception is that one on a blue card can get a settlement permit after just 21 months with a B1 level of German - but also after 33 months without although it is stipulated that they can make themselves understood.

The question if one has to take the Leben in Deutschland test, which is virtually the same as the citizenship test is open to interpretation. The requirement for a settlement permit states that "one have a basic knowledge of the legal and social system and of the way of life in Germany". The 2 above mentioned tests are the only standard ones I've heard of. But does one really need this level to pass these tests just for a settlement permit? I know an American in Würzbug who got his settlement permit about 3 years ago. When he first inquired they said he needed such a test; later they said in was unnecessary and he got the permit without it. This is exactly why I wrote that one should ask the local authorities. I'm not sure how they could assess one having adequate skills without an exam but some might say that one needs more than a basic knowledge for these tests.

https://www.bamf.de/EN/Themen/Migration … -node.html

I think I will just end up doing the test regardless, just to be on the safe side. I still do not know if I am even really elligible for PR in early 2024, they changed my work visa status after one year. It went from 18C (which is the one you need to get it after 4 years of work and residency) to 19C for no reason.

I think I will just end up doing the test regardless, just to be on the safe side. I still do not know if I am even really elligible for PR in early 2024, they changed my work visa status after one year. It went from 18C (which is the one you need to get it after 4 years of work and residency) to 19C for no reason.
-@Trabantlover

Good luck. The Leben in Deutschland test is supposedly the same as the citizenship test; for which one can find all possible questions, with answers, online. And it is multiple guess, always 4 possible answers to a question, 2 of which tend to be obviously false so one is usually left with a 50/50 chance of just guessing when one is not sure.

The possible problem can be getting an appointment to take the test. In Stuttgart, the main place to take it is at the Voikshochschule. I did this about 4 years ago and one had to make an appointment a few months in advance and often all slots were full. Best to contact them well in advanced.

-@Trabantlover

Good luck. The Leben in Deutschland test is supposedly the same as the citizenship test; for which one can find all possible questions, with answers, online. And it is multiple guess, always 4 possible answers to a question, 2 of which tend to be obviously false so one is usually left with a 50/50 chance of just guessing when one is not sure.

The possible problem can be getting an appointment to take the test. In Stuttgart, the main place to take it is at the Volkshochschule. One can also do the B1 German test there. I did this about 4 years ago and one had to make an appointment a few months in advance and often all slots were full. Best to contact them well in advanced.