The importance of local language in the USA

Hey everyone,

As an expat, language questions often arise due to the need to communicate effectively in a new country. We're curious to read your experiences with learning and using the local language in the USA.

Here are some questions to get started:

What is the local language spoken in the USA? Did you learn and use it? How difficult was it to learn?

Are there any resources or services available to help expats learn the local language? What are your tips?

What is the dominant language in the business environment? Have you had to conduct business meetings in the local language?

How does language proficiency contribute to understanding the local culture? Are there any specific cultural nuances or expressions that expats should be aware of?

How important is the local language for daily tasks such as shopping, transport, health and other services in the USA?

Let's share tips and advice on how to improve language skills and integrate into a new environment.

Thank you for your contribution.

Cheryl
Expat.com Team

Well, the United States has no official language, however the 2 major languages are English and Spanish, in that order.  However, being a nation with a very long history of immigration, you can hear/encounter nearly any language, particularly in large metropolitan areas or in different regions of the country.

For example, where I live (MI), yes English is the language used in the majority and in public/business dealings but it's not uncommon for me to hear Spanish, Polish, Chinese, Arabic, Albanian, Hindi, Korean, and probably a dozen others on a less common basis.

There are plenty of people in this country that do not speak English or even Spanish at all, and I believe while they do exclude themselves from the larger society, they are able to be employed, do daily tasks, and live using their native language only.  This often holds for anyone in any country.

As for nuances and expressions, there are far too many to list here.  It's seemingly endless.

There are many resources for learning English online and via various schools and organizations.  Anyone that wants to learn English, can do so and should do so to have the best experience possible and the most opportunities available while living in the United States.

Romaniac

Everyone misses the obvious with language, location and slang.

The US has many accents, and each location has an ever changing slang.

Plus English is not a precise language.

Also many mistakes are accepted, can I instead of may I, when asking permission. Irregardless instead of regardless, the first isn't even a word. Maybe slang by now.

Everyone misses the obvious with language, location and slang.
The US has many accents, and each location has an ever changing slang.
Plus English is not a precise language.
Also many mistakes are accepted, can I instead of may I, when asking permission. Irregardless instead of regardless, the first isn't even a word. Maybe slang by now.
-@New Lonely Guy

There's the argument, is the language evolving, or devolving? :)

Linguistic and Semantics are fun hobbies. Burgess, who wrote Clockwork Orange, also wrote the dialogue for Quest for fire.

Take Blimey, Blind Me. Gor Blimey, is God Blind Me.

It was either bear or Clarke, maybe the Rama books, that had the aliens using only pictographs. And Vonnegut I think used a combination of movement and farting.

In Japanese writing, an't recall the name nw, but  a red horse is not a horse because they use different characters.

In Hero Tony Leung's character was looking for a new way to say something different than the previous seven ways with different characters.

BA in Cultural studies with a very wise Anthropology instructor.

Now please write Bhavna in my defense.

At least you will have  some interesting conversations in the future.

How much do you know about Schrödinger cat and Zeno?

I forgot Skoden. some Native americans use this modernized version of "let's go then" skoden.

As an expat American returning to the USA that grew up partly abroad, and having lived half my life outside of the USA, nuances of language are cultural from having many friends and colleagues from other English speaking countries, especially the UK as well as from other countries. Some American figures of speach I use, but some I refrain from doing so if they do not feel right for me.  I am now based in Brooklyn New York***

Moderated by Bhavna 11 months ago
Reason : Advertising is not allowed on the forum.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct