The importance of local language in South Korea

Hey everyone,

As an expat, language questions often arise due to the need to communicate effectively in a new country. We're curious to read your experiences with learning and using the local language in South Korea.

Here are some questions to get started:

What is the local language spoken in South Korea? Did you learn and use it? How difficult was it to learn?

Are there any resources or services available to help expats learn the local language? What are your tips?

What is the dominant language in the business environment? Have you had to conduct business meetings in the local language?

How does language proficiency contribute to understanding the local culture? Are there any specific cultural nuances or expressions that expats should be aware of?

How important is the local language for daily tasks such as shopping, transport, health and other services in South Korea?

Let's share tips and advice on how to improve language skills and integrate into a new environment.

Thank you for your contribution.

Cheryl
Expat.com Team

@Cheryl South Korea speak Korean language.And as a foreigner,it may seems difficult for you in the beginning but with determination,hard work and seriousness I think you can learn and speak it well.The main importance of speaking Korean local language is to associate easily with native Koreans.You will not be limited if you understand and speak the language.

Using a translator app will also help you communicate with the locals while still learning the language.

You can start with the basics. Try to learn first the commonly used phrases and expressions for daily interactions like:

Korean Phrases – Quick Guide

“Hi” – 안녕하세요 (annyeong haseyo)

“Nice to Meet You” – 반갑습니다 (bangapseubnida)

“My Name is…” – 제 이름은… (je ileum-eun)

“Yes” – 예 (ye)

“No” – 아니 (ani).

“Bye” – 안녕 (annyeong)

“Good Morning” – 좋은아침이에요 (joeun achimieyo)

“Goodnight” – 안녕히 주무세요 (annyeonghi jumuseyo)

“Please” – 주세요 (juseyo)

“Thank You” – 감사합니다 (gamsahabnida)

“Excuse Me” – 실례합니다 (sillyehabnida)

“I'm Sorry” – 미안해요 (mianhaeyo) / 죄송해요 (joesonghaeyo)

“Okay” – 괜찮아요 (gwaenchanayo)

“Left” – 왼쪽 (oenjjok)

“Right” – 오른쪽 (oleunjjok)

Straight – 직진 (jigjin)

“Please go to…” – …(으)로가주세요 ((eu)lo gajuseyo)

“Where is…” – …이어디예요 (i eodiyeyo)

“I don't know” – 몰라요 (mollayo)

“I want to speak in Korean” – 한국어를하고 싶습니다 (Hangukeo-leul hago sipseubnida)

“Please speak slowly” – 천천히 말씀해 주세요 (cheoncheonhi malsseumhae juseyo)

“The menu, please” – 메뉴주세요 (menyu juseyo)

“Bill, please” – 계산서주세요 (gyesanseo juseyo)

“I have an allergy to…” – …알레르기가 있습니다. (alleleugiga issseubnida)

“How much is it?” – 얼마에요? (eolmayeyo)

Do you have…” – …있어요? (isseoyo)

“What's Up?” – 요즘 어때? (yojeum eottae)

“Awesome” – 대박 (daebak)

“One with the Force” – 포스 있다 (poseu itda)

Credit - (found this guide from [link under review]