Interesting Mauritian Creol Idiom Book - lalang pena lezo

In preparation for my upcoming visit to the island, I am reviewing my creol proficiency and I started reading whatever I could online.  Since I am a native speaker (a 32), I was quite comfortable until I started reading a book that a friend gave me entitled "lalang pena lezo" by Jacques Maunick.   It was enlightening to see how much the language has evolved over time.  Highly recommend to read this pocket book.

Wonder why sometimes locals are laughing hard with you - it may be that they are laughing at you.

Peace and love.

PS:  This is my opinion only and I did not get any compensation of any form from this post.

@Pablo888

What does that mean 'a32',?

Yes creole is always changing because it goes with time but you have not to worry, the creole you speak will be ok.

I am Mauritian and I speak the same creole since I am a kid, which is mostly of a mix of french words. As you may know there are several kind of creole from the north to the south, east and west everyone add his touch. Some speak it quickly and some very slowly. Even there's a difference in the speaking of the young and the old citizens; those who live on the centre of the island and those on the costal regions. Speaking it, automatically send you to your status. The way you speak one will know where you come from. Mauritius is small but with such a diversity in its culture is vast.

And you must also be aware that creole is more than words because we speak a lot with  our body language. One word also can have many meanings just with the tone you say it and sometimes with just one word we have say it all... That's why sometimes if someone is new with creole it can lead to many misunderstanding or funny situation.

Mauritians who speak mainly creole (many Mauritians speak mainly French and even some English) have the tendency to do the same when using a foreign language ... Like I do 1f602.svg...It took me sometimes to see where the problems came from.

You speak creole, it's great and if people laugh at you or with you, it's their problem not yours ...Do not let that slows you down. It is very useful to speak it here.

Regards

Marie

Hello Pablo888

Thanks for the "review".

Wonder why sometimes locals are laughing hard with you - it may be that they are laughing at you.

Where have you heard that locals would laugh hard at expats ? (for the way they speak creole)

Regards

Bhavna

@Pablo888
What does that mean 'a32',?
-@MarieW2023

During my school days - I attended a public high school - , a "trente-deux" referred to a mauritian of chinese descent - just like a "trente-cinq" referred to a girlfriend.  This is an old usage and I use this often with my dad.  This may no longer apply here and I need to update my vocabulary.

Yes, I agree that the language has evolved over time...

This may be a philosophical point, but expats do keep a memory of their time in a particular place and culture.  As they move around, the memories of past experiences become fixed in time - and need to be updated periodically.

Hence, it was great to catch up on the latest new words - from this book that was graciously given to me by a good friend.

For the latter part of your post, please see my response to Bhavna.

Where have you heard that locals would laugh hard at expats ? (for the way they speak creole)

Regards
Bhavna
-@Bhavna

This is more a funny story.... The last time that I was in Mauritius (last year), I was looking for a cheap local transportation and from my experience in Thailand, I asked something in creol like "Where can I find a tuktuk?"  I got a few stares from the guys and a couple of giggles from ladies around me.... And I knew that I said something wrong and quickly explained that I was looking for the common motorized rickshaws that exist in several countries like Thailand, and around Asia.  I did not quite understand the joke until I opened to page 86 of the book above that I discovered what the people around me might have heard.

In the above situation, I was not offended or frustrated.  I just wanted to get the joke.  And reading the book helped me to understand the "hidden" and "colorful" meaning of the language....

Indeed we don't use the term "tuktuk" here, as we don't have any of those.

@Pablo888

Yes of course I know what that means but I thought you were talking about some kind of diploma or degree lol.

Anyway many of our young people now may not recognise those idioms because it is not used anymore.

I am sure if you have the possibility to live here for a much more longer period you will catch up the twists of your father's maternal language quite easily.

Have a nice day

Marie

I would love to get a copy of this book. Any ideas where I could get my hands' on a copy

I would love to get a copy of this book. Any ideas where I could get my hands' on a copy
-@brianwizzit

FYI:

https://youbook.mu/product/lalang-pena-lezo/

-@brianwizzit

Another book from a local author that I would recommend is "Chinatown - in the heart of Mauritius".  It has a good retrospective of the sino-mauritian history.  I was told that there was a rather cute picture of my family and me in the book.  I am planning on picking up a copy at the Grand Baie SuperU to check this out.

I am sure if you have the possibility to live here for a much more longer period you will catch up the twists of your father's maternal language quite easily.
Marie
-@MarieW2023

Great idea. 

My parents are currently on a long stay in Pereybere and I am meeting with them soon.  I will make sure to make it a topic of conversation.

Thank you.

@External thanks very much