Post-Covid-19 situation in Hungary

Hello everyone,

The COVID-19 pandemic had a huge impact on the world, including on expats' lives. Travel restrictions, business closures, budget cuts, and health measures have created unprecedented challenges for those who have chosen to live in Hungary.

Now that the pandemic is moderated, expats are adjusting to a new daily routine. So tell us, how is your expat life now:

Are there still any health measures in place in Hungary? If so, what are they (wearing a mask, barrier measures, etc.)?

Have you noticed any changes in the population's habits or behavior after the pandemic?

What is your new work rhythm: do you still work remotely or are you spending more time in the office?

Have you changed your spending habits? If so, which ones?

Despite this pandemic and its consequences, how do you see your future in Hungary?

Do you have any advice for other expats and future expats on this new daily life in Hungary?

Thank you for your contribution.
Mickael
Expat.com team

I know people are still required to wear a mask for all medical visits.

Some places they still take your temp. before entery.

Mostly in critical areas like oncology.

Persoanlly I'm glad it seems over , for now until tjhey come up with something else to cause us to panic.

Masks are good idea for those with a weak immune system.

Then again they do not allow for proper breathing which isn't great either.

I notice allot more empty store spaces since the lockdowns.

Some places they still take your temp. before entry.
Persoanlly I'm glad it seems over , for now until tjhey come up with something else to cause us to panic.
-@Marilyn Tassy

Those masks also steam up your glasses.   

The ones with the built-in valves are better.

-@Marilyn Tassy

-@fluffy2560

For someone that has had to have a mask on pretty much all the time in the last 4 days, I have had no issues with breathing, or having it steam up my glasses. I haven't even anyone complained about wearing a mask.

-@Marilyn Tassy

-@fluffy2560

For someone that has had to have a mask on pretty much all the time in the last 4 days, I have had no issues with breathing, or having it steam up my glasses. I haven't even anyone complained about wearing a mask.
-@SimCityAT

If you're using the proper surgical mask rather than a reusable washable one, then these aren't too bad if you get the nose thing adjusted right. They don't really stop you breathing as it all leaks out the sides and the paper is thin anyway.

Some of the cheapy less well designed ones don't have the nose adjustment or the material is incorrect (often too thick).

-@Marilyn Tassy

-@fluffy2560

-@SimCityAT

Maybe my nose is too small?

I guess you had to wear a mask full time in a ward?

Yikes, I'd go nuts.

Are there still any health measures in place in Hungary? If so, what are they (wearing a mask, barrier measures, etc.)?

I went to see my Private doctor recently and wore a mask but as soon as I walked in he told me to take it off.  Two years ago he believed strongly in masking up and jabbing but now I think he has changed his mind. However he has obviously worked on getting his weight down as I have and I think that eating healthily and keeping at the right weight is the best thing to do to maintain health and avoid health problems.

Have you noticed any changes in the population's habits or behavior after the pandemic?

In the countryside I think people have become a bit more introverted. In the city it has become as busy as ever.

I dont tend to mix as much as I did and I now avoid indoor bathing facilities but as soon as the outdoor ferdos and lidos open I will be first in the queue.

What is your new work rhythm: do you still work remotely or are you spending more time in the office?

I stopped traveling to the uk for work purposes in the winter.

the quarantine at both ends made it uneconomical.

So you could say I have become more of a homebody.

Have you changed your spending habits? If so, which ones?

I very rarely eat out now and cooking at home is always cheaper and better quality. I've always done most of my other shopping in the UK because art and craft materials are often imported and then over charged for here. I also read a lot of English books that are overpriced in Hungary.

Despite this pandemic and its consequences, how do you see your future in Hungary?

I think I will always have a home in Hungary but I like to avoid the winter months. That desire has not changed.

Do you have any advice for other expats and future expats on this new daily life in Hungary?

For me daily life has not changed much.

Currently I have seen a lot more job advertisements  in Budapest so it could be a good time for young professionals to make a move if they wish to do so .

One thing is sure though;the future in Hungary will be much better than in Italy!

Scott's honor!

One thing is sure though;the future in Hungary will be much better than in Italy!
Scott's honor!
-@verzweiflung99

Isn't the latest and greatest going to be a new version of Ebola?

I saw something online about a hemorrhagic air born virus coming to town near you soon.

Another world wide pandemic so they said.

They also mentioned it will kill more people but be something to do with microwaves in the air from wifi etc. plus the metals in the previous virus shots acting up with the microwaves.

Just what rabbit hole I feel into online.

( BTW, It's Scouts honor but one would probably need to have been a scout to know that)

Just take care and don't mind the media, they would have us all walking around in a gas mask and spacesuit afraid to leave our homes.

Scott's honor!
-@verzweiflung99

I saw something online about a hemorrhagic air born virus coming to town near you soon.
They also mentioned it will kill more people but be something to do with microwaves in the air from wifi etc. plus the metals in the previous virus shots acting up with the microwaves.
( BTW, It's Scouts honor but one would probably need to have been a scout to know that)
Just take care and don't mind the media, they would have us all walking around in a gas mask and spacesuit afraid to leave our homes.
-@Marilyn Tassy

Older people in the UK are already being offered a 4th or 5th COVID jab.  To be eligible you need to be over 75 and/or have an immune system issue (like kidney transplant, heart transplant etc).

4th or 5th jab will be here soon enough - I reckon by September it will be universally offered.

I've had 3 COVID jabs so far and I'm fine. In fact, I'm planning to renew all of my expiring vaccinations in the next weeks due to impending travel to funny places.  Vaccinations have saved millions if not billions of lives over the years. One of the modern world's greatest human accomplishments, perhaps akin to the building of the pyramids or landing on the moon.  It's a modern miracle.

Scott's honor!
-@verzweiflung99

-@Marilyn Tassy

Older people in the UK are already being offered a 4th or 5th COVID jab. To be eligible you need to be over 75 and/or have an immune system issue (like kidney transplant, heart transplant etc).

-@fluffy2560

My dad has had 6 jabs!

Scott's honor!
-@verzweiflung99

-@Marilyn Tassy

Older people in the UK are already being offered a 4th or 5th COVID jab. To be eligible you need to be over 75 and/or have an immune system issue (like kidney transplant, heart transplant etc).

4th or 5th jab will be here soon enough - I reckon by September it will be universally offered.

I've had 3 COVID jabs so far and I'm fine. In fact, I'm planning to renew all of my expiring vaccinations in the next weeks due to impending travel to funny places. Vaccinations have saved millions if not billions of lives over the years. One of the modern world's greatest human accomplishments, perhaps akin to the building of the pyramids or landing on the moon. It's a modern miracle.
-@fluffy2560

Yes, many different vaccinations have kept people from suffering.

I'm just not convinced the new C-19 virus vax was done properly in the first place.  I mean people were tkaing anything offered just to get a vax.

Yes, many different vaccinations have kept people from suffering.
I'm just not convinced the new C-19 virus vax was done properly in the first place. I mean people were tkaing anything offered just to get a vax.
-@Marilyn Tassy

I'm OK with the COVID vaccination.  I've had it multiple times and I'm fine. Well, no worse than I was before. It's like insurance, one only needs it when things go wrong. After the event is too late.

I am a great believer in things like the flu vaccine. It's probably saved me a couple of times and if you've had real flu, the vaccination is well worth having to avoid that suffering. One of my colleague's sister in a developing country died of Tetanus 20 years ago.  That's just crazy stuff. Who isn't vaccinated against that kind of illness?

I've also been to countries where polio vaccines were not universally given and seen the number of disabled people maimed by ignorance. It's astounding. Nowadays, that kind of thing is never seen in modernised countries.  People in developing countries, never think about that kind of thing.  Those childhood diseases were only coming back in Nigeria, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Yemen and places with war or civil strife or religious mania. I think TB is on the rise in Ukraine due to war destroying health infrastructure. That's a war crime.

BTW, I read this morning Ghana has approved a malaria vaccine with 80% efficacy. Reports are it's a game changer. They are building a vaccine factory there ready to make billions of doses per year. Good for them.