Living cost in New York

Hi all

I have a potential job offer in NY Brooklyn and will need to move from the UK. If I use a rough figure of $150,000.00 PA, will that be sufficient to support a family of 4 to have a decent living in real life? I have done some reading on the internet and there are a lot of mixed opionions.

Your advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Brooklyn has become very expensive. The medium rent for a two bedroom apartment is around $3,800.00 (I am not sure if this medium includes other fees).If you want live in a place that has a good public school, like Prospect Park, we are talking about medium rent of around 6,400.00 for a 2 BD. (source: https://www.zumper.com/rent-research/brooklyn-ny ).

Add to that utilities, internet, TV, very expensive food, transportation, medical and dental expenses (you need to have good health and dental insurance), incidentals... and we are talking about keeping a tight budget. If the kids are pre schoolers it might be ok, but as they grow so will your expenses.

Of course, it all depends on what kind of standard living you are expecting to keep/have. Anyone can more or less survive anywhere.

Try www.numbeo.com for living costs. This will give you a ball park figure to work with.

@NanaTerra thank you for the information shared.

@stumpy thank you. I have used it and I was shocked🙈

@Hendrik Joubert

Hi Hendrik,

I live upstate from NYC,  coming from France since september 2021, and the answer to your question, depends on a lot of parameters ,  but mostly, will your employer cover some charges for you or will you have to pay evreything from your salary :

• School or College for your kids (if needed).
  • Home rental (very expensive)
  • Medical coverage (very expensive)

We are a family of 5, living on my salary, renting a house, having medical insurance plan from employer, and even though we inquired a lot before coming over, we were suprised about cost of life, generally, knowing that COVID and inflation made it even worse.

I know nothing about your situation, but, if possible, i would recommend to negotiate a couple more tens of thousands a year, to be on the safe side.

$150.000/year for 4 in Brooklyn sounds too low for me.

Eric.

@ecazorla Hi Eric. That is some really good advice and information. Thank you very much for taking the time to respond.

@Hendrik Joubert

Congratulations on your potential job offer in Brooklyn, NY! The cost of living in New York City can be quite high, but a salary of $150,000.00 per year should be enough to support a family of four for a decent living, although it depends on your lifestyle, housing needs, and other factors.

Housing is likely to be the biggest expense, so you will need to budget accordingly. In Brooklyn, the average rent for a two-bedroom apartment is around $2,800 per month, while a three-bedroom apartment can cost upwards of $3,500 per month. However, prices can vary widely depending on the neighborhood, so it's important to do your research before making any decisions.

Other expenses to consider include groceries, utilities, transportation, childcare, and healthcare. It's also worth noting that New York City has some of the highest taxes in the country, so you will need to factor that into your budget as well.

Overall, a salary of $150,000.00 per year should be enough to live comfortably in Brooklyn, but it will require careful budgeting and possibly some sacrifices in other areas. As always, it's a good idea to consult with a financial advisor to help you create a budget and make informed decisions about your finances.

If you need any further assistance, feel free to consult with [link moderated] for more information on living in Brooklyn.

Moderated by Yoginee last year
Reason : Free advertising is not allowed on the forum. Thanks
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Thanks for this good guide.