Opening a French bank account from outside the country

Hi

Has anyone any knowledge of opening a French bank account from outside the country?

I'm looking at Bunq and similar entities at the moment.

Are they safe?

Is it a useful thing to do? Or should we wait until were in France to open a bank account?

Anything I should be aware of?

TIA

Adrie

Hi Adrie,

I think it is not possible to create a bank account unless you have a residence proof. I faced the same problem and it was difficult even after arriving. One suggestion, check with HSBC online support, which is a good bank for expats

@adrie14 You can not open a French Bank Account without being a resident.

But there are other banks in the EU. You to Check them out on the Internet. Use Google with Translate, and you may need VPN on your computer to get to some websites. And you can have only an account or accounts in one Bank.

Opening of a bank account in France is the worst nightmare you can have. Yes, you need the proof of residence and to prove the you are a resident you must have utility bills. And in order to open an account with gas, electricity and phone/internet provider you must have a bank account because they draw the money directly from your bank. Good luck!

@GregorySegal lol thanks sounds like a nightmare

@Ckuma

Just my opinion, but I would warn against using HSBC. They are in the process of withdrawing from personal banking and focusing on business banking. They are not consumer friendly, especially to foreign newcomers. And their branches are few and far between. They don't have nearly as many branches as other banks. The nearest town to our village is abut 10 km away, and on one street we have no fewer than five banks and their atms...but not HSBC. Nearest branch is Le Mans, 45 minutes away. I would recommend looking into Credit Mutuel, or Credit Agricole. After two years with HSBC we had a celebration when we migrated to Credit Mutuel.

@GregorySegal  I gotta agree with Gregory. To an American, the process is unexpectedly Byzantine, when all we seemingly want to do is put money into their bank..lol

It's actually not that complicated as long as you have proof of residency (visa). Open a Revolut account and you'll automatically have a French Iban.

Once you have housing and then apply at a local bank.

@Red Bordoe I would second that.  They are also being investigated.

@Red Bordoe Part of what makes the process difficult for US citizens in particular is the FATCA reporting requirements placed on the banks.

@adrie14 An easier option may be Wise (wise.com).

Roger

Update:

We did end up opening an HSBC account in Australia before we left and that proved to have been a good move bc HSBC France had no problems opening French bank accounts for us  sadly they've now sold off the personal banking arm of the business to a French bank 

@Red Bordoe that's interesting bc we lived and worked in NYC and found Citibank rather quaint and we were offered chaque books which we actually needed!!! We had use a CB for ten years or more! France also still loves their cheques!!! i don know anyone in Aust who's used a cheque book since the early 1990s! Govt departments occasionally issue cheques but most transactions are all done online and have been for at least 20 years 

@adrie14

Ireland is an EU country. That Speaks English and is the Euro account that you need. So you can control when you buy Euros to keep from paying way too much because you time the buys, and if they keep your money, you should be able to control the fees. Credit Arg  CA, the French Bank, has an office in Ireland that speaks English Maybe. I got really, clobbered when I transferred money for Our first Summer's expenses to my wife's French bank.

You can do better transferring money via a system like Wise's.

@boatman1940 thanks. we mana to open accounts with HSBC with free transfers until they sold the non business arm late last year. I'm no sure we'd be eligible for Irish bank accounts??

First you have to find a bank WILLING to open your account. If your income stream is from outside the EU and definitely from the US, they have to do WORK. Namely FATCA reporting. Most do not LIKE WORK and just turn you down. They are not required by law, to tell you WHY they turn you down.

I was advised BY MY OWN BANK, Millennium, to go to Le Credit Lyonnais. They were very helpful. I hear but cannot conform that credit Agricole is helpful as well.

Once you have a bank who will deal with you, you must provide some evidence. A lease or mortgage. A utility Bill for that address and a herbegement (affidavit from the landlord).

This is part of the "know your neighbor" policy, which tries to reduce the instances of terrorism. Money flow is seriously regulated here because of laundering and financing of terrorism. They take it seriously.

Having another EU account is nice but frequently useless here. I have a Millennium account in Portugal which did NOTHING to help open an account at millennium BCP here in france.

I transfer with Wise, but it needs to be to a bank IN COUNTRY to be of much use.

You will find related hurdles tied to Phone service and getting an apartment for the same reason, plus the fact that General Liability Insurers will block the use of realtors in renting, if you have an overseas income stream.

I seem to be missing something and would appreciate someone telling me how having an Irish account would help me in France. Seriously. I am still in the learning phase myself.