Will I get tax refund?

I am an expat and started working in Malaysia on Sep 2022 and paying taxes monthly(30%) from then, in 2022 I was in Malaysia for less than 60 days.

So will get any tax refund?

Only if you stay 182 days in malaysia for 2023. Let say u will stay from january 1 until 182 days (june 2023), only u can file tax refund for 2022 after completing 182 days.

@anonymous1606 Thanks for the reply, so suppose I complete 182 days in June .

1. Does it mean that from July y tax deduction will decrease?
  2. For the additional paid taxes in 2022 and Jan-June2023 , I can file return only on 2024 , right ?

The non-resident tax deduction will be in place usually 6 months or less. I started working here from august 2019 and has non-resident tax applied to my salary until december 2019, but check with ur company on how long the non-resident tax will be applied for 2023.Taxes are filed by year, so taxes from september to december 2022 will be filed under 2022 income tax filling starting march 1, 2023. U will file the tax return with non-resident tax form (please check) and data from EA form provided by the employer. Also, go to nearest lhdn branch for first time login password for online filling under https://mytax.hasil.gov.my/As early as july 2, 2023 (sorry I re-check with calendar days calculator), u can file for tax refund for 2022 in your designated lhdn branch (check with employer or nearest lhdn for the assigned branch). U may take vacation within this date but must be 14 days or less (also it will the extend days before u can file tax refund). This one please re-check with lhdn as this was based from my experience. On filling tax refund, be sure to check the tax relief applicable. It usually with RM9,000 for individual, and the lifestyle relief of 2500 (internet bills paid or personap smartphone/tablet/laptop purchased for year 2022). Deducting the relief will be your supposed chargeable income tax for 2022. This will help a lot in lowering tax brackets (e.g. From 13% to 8%). Documents like receipts or bill statement related to tax relief should be kept as it is required during tax clearance (7 years or less), e.g. If you work for 8 years you only need to keep the last 7 years. Tax clearance are filed everytime u resigned from ur employer.

@anonymous1606 thanks for the detailed reply.

Still I am confused about 2022 refund.

1. If I file the return as non tax resident then I will not get the refund, right ?

2. Can I file the return post July after becoming tax resident ?

1. If I file the return as non tax resident then I will not get the refund, right ?

- Not yet, need to complete 182 days and then manually file for tax refund from designated lhdn branch.

Next year (YA 2023), u can start filling using resident tax form.

2. Can I file the return post July after becoming tax resident ?

- Yes, manually file for tax refund from designated lhdn branch

@anonymous1606 thanks again for the answer, just the last question:

- Not yet, need to complete 182 days and then manually file for tax refund from designated lhdn branch. - So do I need to wait for 182 days to complete fiest and then file the return manually in Jul 2023?

So do I need to wait for 182 days to complete fiest and then file the return manually in Jul 2023?

- Yes