Tax explanation

Hello Gravitas,

I have entered in to Malaysia on 15th Jan 2023. My current salary is RM12000  Per month. I came to know that a 30% tax will be deduction from my salary for a period of 6 months and I can apply for a refund after 182 days.(please correct me if I am wrong regarding this statement).

My questions :-

1) I would like to know how much money will be returned to me and how to calculate it.

2) how many days it will take to get my tax tax refunded money after the tax filing.

Thanks for resolving my doubts in advance.

Avinash

You may initiate tax refund along with your tax filling for 2023 in march 2024. Since you started this january, you will already fulfill the 182 days required for residential status before the end of the year.

The 182 days waiting time to initate tax refund is applicable for those started from last week of june. I started working here around the last week of july which is less time 182 days at the of the year. So I waited 182 days of the next year around july to initiate tax refund.

Employer will give you ea form that will indicate how much your tax should be as resident with how much had been deducted to you. This information the will be used as input during tax filling.

1) I would like to know how much money will be returned to me and how to calculate it.

e.g. Annual income is 144,000 (12000 x 12) - tax relief

Check the tax table using final amount to calculate the income tax, then less from total monthly deduction for the year.

2) how many days it will take to get my tax tax refunded money after the tax filing.

The filling tax for employees start usually march 1 of the next year, then within 30 working days if you file early. Make sure to indicate correct bank account and information submitted to tax filling is same with information from bank. I have renewed my passport before tax refund, but refund was not successful at first as my passport information in the bank was not updated.

@anonymous1606 Hi, I would like to seek advise regarding tax filing as resident in Malaysia. I started working here from 7th August 2023. I assume to file tax as resident I have to wait to fulfill the 182 days this year, correct? However I noticed that the last day to file the tax is 30th April 2024. Could you please advise if it is still okay to file it around July 2024?